IGNORED

Champ Games - Galagon (aka Galaga) 2600

johnnywc

On 1/2/2020 at 6:56 PM, Prizrak said:

Just physical at the moment. I love the idea of purchasing digital versions as well as physical copies. Those will be available sometime in the near future via the AA store when the site gets a software update.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That's great news. I just ordered a harmony encore cart ?

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 5:05 PM, StephenJ said:

Sure wish there was a no-box option.

I'm waiting for that myself. I have no boxes in my collection. Back in the olden days, we threw the packaging materials away. I'd have serious heartburn about throwing away a $10-$20 box. 

I understand why people want boxes, and I want to support the authors of games that I like,  but the boxes don't add value for me so they end up being a hindrance to me buying for now. It's just video games. I can wait. 

• Like 2

There's likely a minimum monetary investment for printing boxes, so in Al's shoes, I would want to make sure to recoup that investment before offering a no box option. He seems to offer the no box option when the next batch of games has been added. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Machine said:

The box art and packaging is so exceptional on these new releases, I just got to have them. I bought "Ladybug" without the box and now regret it.  

They artwork is just so damn nice!!!

I agree; for Champ Games, Nathan Strum and Dave Dries have done amazing work on all our releases. :D 

:idea: FYI, Lady Bug (and Conquest of Mars) did not have a box option back in 2006 when they were released, but AA member @Brian O took it upon himself to create a box for both (with some help from Nathan) so both are available now, and Al is planning on offering just the box for sale in the near future for those who previously purchased LB & CoM and want to add the box to their collection. :thumbsup: 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Karl G said:

There's likely a minimum monetary investment for printing boxes, so in Al's shoes, I would want to make sure to recoup that investment before offering a no box option. He seems to offer the no box option when the next batch of games has been added. 

That's pretty much the way I see it. I don't have a problem with the business model. He's got an investment to recoup. He may never even get to breakeven if he tries to cater to cheapskates like me while also serving those who find value in the more expensive (and hopefully more profitable) offering.

• Like 1

I have this weird way of looking at the box option in that if it's an arcade game like Galagon, Draconian, Space Rocks, etc i want the box. If it's an original game not based on an arcade port I'm fine with cart and manual only. 

If there is a ladybug box only released someday, I'd definitely consider buying it. Ladybug was the first homebrew I ever bought

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johnnywc said:

I agree; for Champ Games, Nathan Strum and Dave Dries have done amazing work on all our releases. :D 

:idea: FYI, Lady Bug (and Conquest of Mars) did not have a box option back in 2006 when they were released, but AA member @Brian O took it upon himself to create a box for both (with some help from Nathan) so both are available now, and Al is planning on offering just the box for sale in the near future for those who previously purchased LB & CoM and want to add the box to their collection. :thumbsup: 

Ooooh, Conquest of Mars box, I didn't know those were available (on their own soon)! The loose cart will finally have a home. ?

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 12:12 PM, johnnywc said:

Happy to help! And thanks to @Nathan Strum for fixing the weird black box issue :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Galagon for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

1713795648_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestPackagingAtari2600.jpg.b918c3543b18292f6d4c948b8415fcc1.jpg1250347206_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestMusicSoundAtari2600.jpg.dd09b919dce0e70ba4a7a9c4184c3e86.jpg1154216808_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.b0d83ba0f7f4ad0275f9f55d5e45240d.jpg1489372970_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestGraphicsAtari2600.jpg.f226c943c5c3659c76eb5c2e657c9af7.jpg

• Like 4

After listening to the 5200 Super Community podcast today about Tempest I couldn’t help thinking about the Tempest prototype that was done for the 2600. Having enjoyed playing many champ games I can’t help but think this would be right up their alley. The driving controller for the 2600 would be fun to play tempest with.

Thanks again for the work you guys do at champ games! Really top notch!

1 hour ago, adamchevy said:

After listening to the 5200 Super Community podcast today about Tempest I couldn’t help thinking about the Tempest prototype that was done for the 2600. Having enjoyed playing many champ games I can’t help but think this would be right up their alley. The driving controller for the 2600 would be fun to play tempest with.

I'm a big fan of Tempest and have thought about a 2600 version over the years; I'm not sure if a decent version could be done with the low res playfield though. :(  

1 hour ago, adamchevy said:

Thanks again for the work you guys do at champ games! Really top notch!

You're welcome! :D 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nathan Strum said:

This is probably about the best 2600 Tempest is going to look: 

Whether it would result in something playable and fun... that's an entirely different question.

Those are not terrible levels designs especially with just using a 4 line playfield, but they're far from great. Maybe they could be made a little better going to a double/single line playfield but you'll still have those chunky vertical parts. Possibly the vertical could be drawn with 15/30Hz ball?

There's so much going on in Tempest with the full game, it would be a huge challenge.

- James

• Like 1