IGNORED

Champ Games - Galagon (aka Galaga) 2600

johnnywc

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

They're acceptable no doubt. But why not give it ARM treatment and do the same for the apparently dead BallBlazer project.

There's so much work yet to be done!

But if it comes out on the ARM nobody will want it and it will suck the remaining life out of all future original 2600 games.  Don't do it!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/27/2020 at 3:50 PM, Nathan Strum said:

Whether it would result in something playable and fun... that's an entirely different question.

I have serious doubts. Since the 2600 pixels are so much wider than they are tall, I can't imagine any fluid 360-degree movement. Even with the amazing games that have been accomplished, they always feel so much different due to this. Chetiry is a good example of this. Whenever I rotate a piece it looks drastically different due to the pixel proportions, which in turn throws off my ability to predict which "column" the piece will fall in. 

• Like 1

155399910_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Winner-BestHomebrewAtari2600.thumb.png.438d149d28675d28ead73e542fd6d32e.png

2019 ATARI HOMEBREW AWARDS RESULTS

Thank you everyone for an amazing event today. Congratulations to all the nominees and the winners! You can watch the replay on Twitch or when it's posted on YouTube tomorrow!

Atari 2600: Best Homebrew ≤4K
1) Amoeba Jump by Dion Olsthoorn "Dionoid"
2) Space Game 2KB by Karl Garrison "Karl G"
3) Caverns by Harold Thijssen

Atari 7800: Best Homebrew
1) Rikki & Vikki by PenguiNet "TailChao"
2) Baby Pac-Man by Bob DeCrecenzo "PacManPlus"
3) Draker Quest II by Clark Otto "frankodragon"

Atari 2600: Best Packaging
1) Rally Racer by More Work Games
2) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games (packaging by Dave Dries)
3) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games (packaging by Dave Dries)

Atari 2600: Best WIP
1) Zoo Keeper by Champ Games
2) Ninjish Guy in Low Res World by Vladimir Zuñiga (aka John Von Neumann) "vhzc"
3) Penult by Karl Garrison "Karl G"

Atari 8-Bit/5200: Best Homebrew
1) Gravity Worms - Krzysztof "xxl" Dudek, Jakub "Aceman" Szeląg, Kamil "Vidol" Walaszek
2) Jet Set Willy 2019 - Terence "Tezz" Derby (original game by Matthew Smith)
2) Wasteland - Michael Jaskula

Atari 2600: Best Music & Sound
1) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games (sound by Mike Haas with Ross Keenum)
2) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games (sound and music by Ross Keenum)
3) Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez "nanochess" and Thomas Jentzsch (design and coding), Nathan Strum (graphics and packaging)

Atari 2600: Best Graphics
1) Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez "nanochess" and Thomas Jentzsch (design and coding), Nathan Strum (graphics and packaging)
2) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games (graphics by Nathan Strum)
3) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games (graphics by Nathan Strum)

Atari 2600: Lifetime Achievement Award
Albert Yarusso

Atari 2600: Best Homebrew
1) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games
2) Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez "nanochess" and Thomas Jentzsch (design and coding), Nathan Strum (graphics and packaging)
3) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 7:16 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Thought I'd play a couple of the award winners this evening. Congratulations to the Galagon team!

Thanks Steve, and thanks for all the game testing too!  It looks like it's paid off for you, that's a great score! ?;) 

On 2/11/2020 at 7:16 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Galagon.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 8:01 AM, johnnywc said:

Hello all,

Here are the updated NTSC and PAL60 demo ROMs for Galagon (aka Galaga). 

PLEASE NOTE: If you plan on playing this in an emulator, you must use the latest version of Stella (6.0.1) or Stellarator.  The game works on the Harmony (and Encore) with BIOS 1.0.5 or higher.

The game is full functional with the following changes:

1. Savekey support has been disabled
  2. After completing stage 8, the game goes back to stage 1
  3. The word "DEMO" is displayed on the title screen.

There have been numerous changes since the last demo ROMs.  Thanks to all the suggestions and recommendations!  We are looking to finish the game up in the next couple of weeks in preparation for the game's release at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in mid-October, so any feedback is greatly appreciated!  :) 

Thanks,

John

• changed title screen to "Galagon" (thanks Nathan!) to coincide with the official name change from Galaga to "Galagon"
  • the repeat fire response is faster for difficulty A (no autofire) 
  • removed the "150" score display during gameplay for killing a boss in formation (still displayed in the SCORING screen), 
  • moved enemies closer together on first wave of challenge stage so you can hit them as they fly in, per the arcade
  • changed blue bee loop pattern so it doesn't fly as low under your ship
  • fixed a bug where you could change skill level by pressing left/right on the Credits screen
  • the breathing/expanding sound is stopped when there are no ships left in formation
  • increase star blinking speed to better match the arcade
  • added SFX when selecting the skill level (bee sound when decreasing, butterfly sound when increasing)
  • removed the boss destroy sound after a 1000 point bonus on the challenge stage.  It now plays the sound of the last enemy destroyed, per the arcade
  • fixed SFX for special ships to match the arcade:
    •  scorpion: boss destroyed SFX
    •  Galaxian: boss hit once SFX
    •  all others: butterfly (red enemy) destroyed SFX (was the bee sound)
  • you can now cycle through the number of players on the title screen by pressing the Joystick 2 button
  • changed order of enemies flying in to match the arcade (blue bees are flown in last)
  • fixed the order of flyin patterns 4 and 5 on stage 1 (they were reversed) move the wrap around enemies so they don't fly off the edges of the screen
  • changed it so enemy ships don't fire when they're really close to your ship

• updated ship explosion sound (thanks Ross!)

• add "PLAYER 1&2" message when both ships are active during co-cop

• no fire on flyin for NOVICE until level 4; fire on flyin for ADVANCED on level 1

• added in CHALLENGE MODE:

• Select CHALLENGE MODE by pressing left or right on the title page until CHALLENGE MODE appears for the skill level
    • Challenge mode can be 1 or 2 player, or even 2 player co-op!
    • The object of Challenge Mode is to clear as many challenge stages before you run out of ships while obtaining a high score
    • The rules of Challenge Mode are:
      • You always start with a double ship with 2 in reserve
      • Extra ships are earned the same as in a regular game:  20,000, 70,000 and every 70,000 after that
      • All stages are challenge stages.  After a challenge stage is complete:
      • If you have double ships:
        • Perfect score: no change
        • If you hit 38 or more enemies, you will lose a reserve ship, keeping the double ship.  If you don't have a reserve ship, you will lose one of your double ships.
        • If you hit 30 or more enemies, you will lose one of your double ships.
        • If you hit < 30 enemies, you lose BOTH double ships
      • If you have a single ship:
        • Perfect score:  Bonus ship awarded as a double ship
        • Otherwise, you lose a ship
  • added in CO-OP mode. 
    • To select CO-OP mode, press the SELECT switch (or Joystick Button 2) to cycle the # of players until 2 PLAYER CO-OP is displayed.  
    • Select the skill level for CO-OP:
      • In NOVICE and CHALLENGE MODE, both players start the game since both ships are active
    • The object of CO-OP mode is the same as a 1 PLAYER game except both players are working together to achieve 1 score. 
      • When there is one ship, the player controlling the ship alternates each time a player ship is destroyed or captured.  
      • When there are two ships, each player controls one of the ships and can independently move and fire!
        • Player 1's ship has RED trim, Player 2's ship has BLUE trim
        • Players cannot cross each other's path
        • Players can 'push' the other player by moving their ship against the other ship.  Players can resist being pushed by moving the joystick towards the other ship.
    • The rules of CO-OP for a regular game (NOVICE, STANDARD or ADVANCED):
      • PLAYER 1 starts in control of the ship (RED trim), except in NOVICE mode where both ships are active to start.  In this case, PLAYER 1 controls the left ship (RED trim) and PLAYER 2 controls the right ship (BLUE trim)
      • When there is 1 ship being controlled, the RESERVE ships are trimmed in the color of the player who will control the *next* ship.
      • When a ship is destroyed, if there are reserve ships, the *other* player will take control of the next ship.
      • When a ship is captured, if there are reserve ships, the *other* player will take control of the next ship.
        • Note that if a ship is destroyed while the other is captured, the player captured will control the ship and the player that was destroyed will now be captured
      • When a ship is rescued, BOTH players will now each control one of the ships (PLAYER 1 controls the RED trim ship and PLAYER 2 controls the BLUE trim ship).  Note that the ship that was rescued will always be on the RIGHT while the ship that did the rescuing will be on the LEFT
      • Both players are working towards one high score.  The game ends when all ships have been destroyed and there are none left in reserve.
      • At the end of the game, hit/miss results are displayed for each player.  If a high score is obtained, only one set of initials are entered.
    • The rules of CO-OP for CHALLENGE MODE:
      • Both players are active to start (PLAYER 1 controls the RED trim ship on the left and PLAYER 2 controls the BLUE trim ship on the right)
      • If there are double ships and 1 ship is lost, the ship on the left is removed (the ship that has been active the longest)
      • When there is 1 ship being controlled, the RESERVE ships are trimmed in the color of the player who will control the *next* ship.
      • When a ship is destroyed, if there are reserve ships, the *other* player will take control of the next ship.
      • Both players are working towards one high score.  The game ends when all ships have been destroyed and there are none left in reserve.
      • At the end of the game, hit/miss results are displayed for each player.  If a high score is obtained, only one set of initials are entered.

galaga_dmo_v2_PAL60.bin 32 kB · 408 downloads galaga_dmo_v2_NTSC.bin 32 kB · 1,007 downloads

I just tried 3 times to download it and it will not work on my Flashback 9, hardware issue or will it just not read or work???

Thanks,

Ray

22 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

I just tried 3 times to download it and it will not work on my Flashback 9, hardware issue or will it just not read or work???

Flashback doesn't support DPC+, CDF, or CDFJ games. To play the demo you need to use a real Atari with a Harmony cart, Stella on your computer, or a Retron 77 that has been updated with the latest version of Stella.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

Flashback doesn't support DPC+, CDF, or CDFJ games. To play the demo you need to use a real Atari with a Harmony cart, Stella on your computer, or a Retron 77 that has been updated with the latest version of Stella.

Thanks!

Then I will re-acquire the Harmony Encore cart that I used to use on the 2600 adapter on my 5200, besides I grew tired of the fact I couldn't use any of my original Atari controllers on the Flashback, especially my CX80 Trak-ball or any paddles, Harmony Encore I'm comin' home!!! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...