IGNORED

Champ Games - Galagon (aka Galaga) 2600

johnnywc

We'll be featuring the brand new non-demo version of the UPDATED WIP homebrew of Galagon LIVE TONIGHT (Monday) on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 8PM PT | 11PM ET | 3AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Galagon (2019 WIP Update) by John Champeau of Champ Games aka johnnywc
- Wizard of Wor (2019 WIP Update) by John Champeau of Champ Games aka johnnywc
- Boulder Dash (2012) by Andrew Davie & Thomas Jentzsch

UPDATE: LINK TO YOUTUBE ARCHIVE OF STREAM

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 5

After all these years, I've never quite known if it's better to let your ship get captured so that you can get the double shot later or if it's better to keep the single ship so that you have the extra in reserve?  

2 hours ago, SS said:

After all these years, I've never quite known if it's better to let your ship get captured so that you can get the double shot later or if it's better to keep the single ship so that you have the extra in reserve?  

Well, for me personally, going for the double shot really only makes sense in the earlier stages; at a certain point (for me, usually around stage 12 or 13 or thereabouts), it just gets you killed. Better to try to play defensively with a single ship and whittle away and outlast the aliens.

Then again, as much as I love Galaga, I'm not particularly great at it, so take that with a box of Morton's. ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2019 at 11:25 PM, BassGuitari said:

Well, for me personally, going for the double shot really only makes sense in the earlier stages; at a certain point (for me, usually around stage 12 or 13 or thereabouts), it just gets you killed. Better to try to play defensively with a single ship and whittle away and outlast the aliens.

Then again, as much as I love Galaga, I'm not particularly great at it, so take that with a box of Morton's. ?

The double shot is best for the challenging stages, but it makes your ship twice the size and easier for the aliens to hit.

I also suck at Galaga, but I still love it. I think thats why its still one of my all-time favorite games.

And after playing Atari's 1983 Galaxian, and how predictable the alien attack is. I'd love to see a Champ games version of that classic too.

On 8/10/2019 at 9:14 PM, WildBillTX said:

And after playing Atari's 1983 Galaxian, and how predictable the alien attack is. I'd love to see a Champ games version of that classic too.

Same here, Galaxian is such an iconic game that it would deserve to get a Champ treatment on the 2600. Atari's done a honorable job with its conversion, but it just lacked the feel and challenge of the arcade game. A 2600 version that captures the starfield and hypnotic sound (literally bells & whistles) of arcade Galaxian would be fantastic!

John's working on so many cool projects at the moment, so I'm sure he has other priorities.  Still hoping though that he may some day find time and motivation to also consider Galaxian ?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, SoundGammon said:

Are we ever going to see a COMPLETE  "GORF" with all 5 screens?

Can't call it "GORF" unless it has all the screens.

I know the reason why we never got one was because Atari had the rights to Galaxian and CBS couldn't put it in!

Looks like the 2006 homebrew Atari Jaguar CD port was the only non-arcade version to include the Galaxians level, for now...
https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareID=4070

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SoundGammon said:

I know the reason why we never got one was because Atari had the rights to Galaxian and CBS couldn't put it in!

2 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Looks like the 2006 homebrew Atari Jaguar CD port was the only non-arcade version to include the Galaxians level, for now...
https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareID=4070

Jess Ragan did a homebrew Gameboy Advance port of GORF that included all 5 screens.

Here's the ROM of it for use on your favorite GBA emulator or flashcart :

GORF GBA.zip

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Let me just say, that for 2 solid days at VCFMW, there was a never ending line of people sat playing the Galaga demo.  9AM to 11PM Friday, and 9AM until I tore down at 3:30PM the next day.  I even helped some dude upgrade the firmware in his Harmony in order to be able to test the demo.  Well done guys!

• Like 4

On 8/25/2019 at 3:03 AM, SoundGammon said:

We have started on "Gorf Arcade", by request from our graphic artist  @Nathan Strum, expected to be released sometime in 2020.  And yes, it will have all 5 screens, plus voice using Atarivox. :thumbsup: 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, discotronic said:

All I can say is amazing. Everything that is happening in the world of gaming around these older systems is really cool. This is one game that I never thought could be playable on the 2600. I just downloaded the demo for my Harmony and it is very nicely done. Can't wait to get the cart. 

Thank you so much for the kind words! Galagon is set to be released at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in about a month, and will be available in the Atari Age store sometime after that. :) 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Let me just say, that for 2 solid days at VCFMW, there was a never ending line of people sat playing the Galaga demo.  9AM to 11PM Friday, and 9AM until I tore down at 3:30PM the next day.  I even helped some dude upgrade the firmware in his Harmony in order to be able to test the demo.  Well done guys!

Wow that's great news - thanks for sharing!  I'm glad Galaga aka Galagon was a hit! :D 

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

Champ Games continues to outdo themselves. ?

Thanks Steve!  We're busy working on getting a playable Zoo Keeper ready for PRGE - it's looking good so far! :thumbsup:  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnnywc said:

We have started on "Gorf Arcade", by request from our graphic artist  @Nathan Strum, expected to be released sometime in 2020.  And yes, it will have all 5 screens, plus voice using Atarivox. :thumbsup: 

Oh baby!  This is one game that I have really been waiting for, especially with all 5 screens and voice.  Can’t wait to test this one! 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

Wow! Another all-time classic!  GORF seems to get skipped over but when mentioned, everyone loves it!  I have a GORF cocktail table and along with my Gravitar, they will never be sold!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Champ Games continues to outdo themselves. ?

They do indeed.

1 hour ago, johnnywc said:

Surprise surprise! Let the good times roll..

• Like 3

21 hours ago, johnnywc said:

This is the greatest news!  Galaga is a nice game and all but, honestly, my three favorite arcade games of all time are Donkey Kong, Mappy, and Gorf.  The 7800 already has a spectacular homebrew of "Donkey Kong PK" and now the 2600 has Mappy and will have an arcade accurate Gorf courtesy of Champ Games.  Atari for the win!  

• Like 2