Champ Games - Galagon (aka Galaga) 2600

johnnywc

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

QUADTARI WORLD DEBUT!

ZeroPage Homebrew will be streaming SIMULTANEOUS TWO PLAYER PLUS SAVEKEY with Galagon with the debut of Nathan Tolbert's brand new four joystick adapter, the QuadTari on tomorrow's (Fri Feb 12, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

912127078_20210212-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.639b4fb66a272e57ad2f9e9acf0aabdd.jpg

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

For those interested in purchasing the full ROM of Galagon, Champ Games has relaunched our website and added a store to do just that! :)  For now, we are offering full ROMs for sale of Galagon, Wizard of Wor Arcade and Mappy, with plans to add more in the near future.

If you have previously purchased the cartridge for these games and are interested in purchasing the ROM, we have partnered with AtariAge to offer a 50% discount on ROM purchases with proof-of-purchase of the cart version.

We have also posted updated demo ROMs for most of our games, including the latest demos of RobotWar: 2684, Gorf Arcade and Lady Bug Arcade.  

Have fun!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

Hello all,

For those interested in purchasing the full ROM of Galagon, Champ Games has relaunched our website and added a store to do just that! :)  For now, we are offering full ROMs for sale of Galagon, Wizard of Wor Arcade and Mappy, with plans to add more in the near future.

If you have previously purchased the cartridge for these games and are interested in purchasing the ROM, we have partnered with AtariAge to offer a 50% discount on ROM purchases with proof-of-purchase of the cart version.

We have also posted updated demo ROMs for most of our games, including the latest demos of RobotWar: 2684, Gorf Arcade and Lady Bug Arcade.  

Have fun!

Is there a way to see what's available in the store without creating an account?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

Is it necessary to create an account to make a purchase?

John answered this during the ZPH stream last night so I'll type it out here.

If I'm not mistaken, each binary is individualized specifically to you and is tied to your Champ Games account, so you will have to create an account to make a purchase.

- James

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

Is there a way to see what's available in the store without creating an account?

Yes, we made the change so you don't have to create an account to view the store

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

Is it necessary to create an account to make a purchase?

No, you don't have to create an account to make a purchase (any more).  :) 

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

John answered this during the ZPH stream last night so I'll type it out here.

If I'm not mistaken, each binary is individualized specifically to you and is tied to your Champ Games account, so you will have to create an account to make a purchase.

Hi James!  Yes, you're correct that each binary is individualized to the buyer, but it's not tied to your Champ Games account (just your name and email, which ARE required to make a purchase), so you were half right. ;)  

Thanks everyone for the feedback; we haven't managed a website in about 23 years or so (1998 :P ) so we'll do what we can to make the online buying process as easy as possible. :D  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dolyschaf said:

Apologies for my ignorance, but do CHAMP allow payment via PayPal on their site? (I couldn't find it and would like to purchase a Galagon ROM for my Harmony Cartridge/2600 Jr)

Yes they do. I purchased both digital roms with PayPal yesterday.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, TF14 said:

Another impressive example of what can be done on the Atari 2600 - really amazing.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, TF14 said:

Any estimate of what it would have cost to produce this cart back in the early 1980's (compared to the 4k carts)?

The cart is 32K ROM and has a 70mhz ARM processor in it (with 6K of RAM).  That kind of technology didn't exist in the early 80's (or even late 80's), at least not in a form factor that would have fit in a cartridge, so a game with all the features of Galagon could not have been produced or sold as it is back then.  Luckily for us it can (and was) in 2019 so we can all enjoy it! :D 

With that said, there was one 32K cart produced in 1990 I believe (Fatal Run?) and using the technology of the DPC chip used in Pitfall plus extra RAM, plus whatever else could have been developed in 1990 using the latest and greatest, I'm confident that a decent Galaga clone could have been developed and sold at the tail end of the 2600's initial run.  The core gameplay with the enemies in formation, etc. is very similar to the techniques used in Atari's Galaxian which was a 16K cart with additional RAM (256 bytes) which was released in 1983.

Hope that helps!

John

• Like 7