IGNORED

Sony Microsoft cloud gaming partnership

I dunno, lots of people use Microsoft Azure for cloud services. For example, large portions of Apple's iCloud service was on Azure early on; might still be for all I know. It's just commodity computing capacity, kinda like (but not exactly the same) as how Steam throws money at (someone? maybe Amazon?) for hosting and bandwidth of their game repository.

Sony using Microsoft cloud services sounds mutually beneficial. Sony just rents space in an elastic way, not building capacity they don't need, while Microsoft gets paid. I don't think this arrangement would permit Microsoft to snoop on Sony's trade secrets or anything like that.

I dunno, lots of people use Microsoft Azure for cloud services. For example, large portions of Apple's iCloud service was on Azure early on; might still be for all I know. It's just commodity computing capacity, kinda like (but not exactly the same) as how Steam throws money at (someone? maybe Amazon?) for hosting and bandwidth of their game repository.

Sony using Microsoft cloud services sounds mutually beneficial. Sony just rents space in an elastic way, not building capacity they don't need, while Microsoft gets paid. I don't think this arrangement would permit Microsoft to snoop on Sony's trade secrets or anything like that.

That was my first thought, but most companies don't do a joint press announcement with MS when they sign up for Azure! Still I guess there is PR value in making this seem like more than it is...

I'm just glad this version of Microsoft does play nicely with other companies unlike tweny-some years ago...

Well the old version of MS would shake your hand and smile too for PR announcments

They'd just be hiding a dagger behind their back with the other hand...

Well the old version of MS would shake your hand and smile too for PR announcments

Hence Mord's comment, which refers to the "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" construct, linked here just in case you haven't heard of it. I think Nadella's better than that, but when you have as many resources as Microsoft, stumbling into evil deeds can happen regardless of intentions.

Most people generally feel that way during the Embrace stage. ;)

Compare the number of Android phones to Windows Mobile... MS is hardly a threat anymore. Hell, they're replacing their own browser with a Chrome based one.

We've got what we wanted...a world where M$ isn't the sole controller of tech. Google is now...

Compare the number of Android phones to Windows Mobile... MS is hardly a threat anymore. Hell, they're replacing their own browser with a Chrome based one.

We've got what we wanted...a world where M$ isn't the sole controller of tech. Google is now...

Agreed and I've warmed to MS a little more in recent years, and now avoid Google as much as I can get away with.

I have read that Microsoft made more in patent royalties from Android than it ever made from Windows Phone. :lol:

The real money is in software and services, not hardware. Microsoft not a threat? They displaced Apple as the world's most valuable company for a while, they're here to stay. I would agree that they aren't as aggressively monopolistic as they once were.

But if your workplace enters into an enterprise agreement with them for cloud email, watch out, you'll be paying rent forever! That's our situation, they own us now. :evil:

But if your workplace enters into an enterprise agreement with them for cloud email, watch out, you'll be paying rent forever! That's our situation, they own us now. :evil:

Lots of tech companies will pull shady shit to keep you captive. I have horror stories about Oracle.