IGNORED

Lynx II Won't Go Past Title Screen

Izen

I have to replace the ram chips on a lynx I and I'm going to solder two dip18 chip sockets on the board since there is enough space in the Lynx I case. This way if I don't fix the lynx, I don't have to desolder the ram chips again to save them, and the two sockets costs only 60 cents.

Don't know if it's possible to do the same on a Lynx II (I think no).

I have to replace the ram chips on a lynx I and I'm going to solder two dip18 chip sockets on the board since there is enough space in the Lynx I case. This way if I don't fix the lynx, I don't have to desolder the ram chips again to save them, and the two sockets costs only 60 cents.

Don't know if it's possible to do the same on a Lynx II (I think no).

One chip on the Lynx II is easier to take off than the other. One chip has pins under the cartridge slot, so I'm probably going to snip those with flush cutters.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Filip Sadovsky said:

Hi can you send a link or part number for these replacement chips you found and if change did help? I seem to have same issue but cannot find D41464L-80 anywhere

I used M5M4464AP-10 DIP18. Unfortunately for me, this didn't fix the problem for me. I believe my issue is with either Mikey or Suzie. Not sure which, and I've given up since finding the chips is too difficult without getting a working PCB.

6 hours ago, Filip Sadovsky said:

I feel for you, I hope recap and ram replacement in case recap will not help solves the problem ?

I just wonder how did you find these chips are exchangeable with ones in lynx? Usually there is some list of "same" chips which I can't find in this case 

I asked Brad at Best Electronics and I also asked over at Console5 for their advice and both said the same thing. I'm not savvy when it comes to comparing chips, but I believe the specs are the same. My Lynx will still turn on with the new chips, but I have the same issue as before the chips.

So I have more info on my side. I have found that there is quite rich communication between Suzy and the Mikey. Also address counter seems to be running, generally interface to cartridge is communicating. Ram is getting some data in and out as well based on oscilloscope but I still get only about second of "title screen" (static California image, Rampage game is just empty screen) and then empty screen only. I did full recap and waiting for new rams. Any other idea what to try?? 

More info here: 

Edited by Filip Sadovsky

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, I've had a similar problem with my lynx 2 freezing at the title screen, I've had the lynx since 1994 but it worked fine before I stored it away in 99, went to try it out and it was glitching with the graphics and freezing, I cleaned and checked the cartridge slot, replaced all the caps, checked the internal voltages and they seem to be good, I've replaced the ram, checked the outputs with a scope on the chips and ram, everything seems to be sending data so I'm completely stumped as to what it could be, I have tried the games on another lynx 2 and they seem to work fine. I've tried the slot pin bridge technique to see the insert game screen but even that seems corrupted. 

I've included a list of games I have that freeze or run with corruption:

Working with glitchy graphics:
Ryger
Gates of Zendocoo
Scrapyard Dog
Batman Returns

Freezing at title:
Blue Lightening
Gauntlet
Todd's Adventures in Slimeworld
Block Out
California Games
APB
RoadBlaster
Rampage
Pac-Land

IMG_20200125_151004.jpg

IMG_20200125_150656.jpg

IMG_20200125_150701.jpg

IMG_20200125_152847.jpg

IMG_20200125_151757.jpg

Edited by HairyStuff
Grammatic mistake

Gentlemen, all described damage indicates a problem with the Suzy chip. Based on experience with previously repaired consoles (about 40) I grouped the damage into four types:
- power failure (console is dead)
- memory corruption (console turns on, screen is black, memories are heating, there are waveforms on some signal buses)
- processor damage (console turns on, memories are cold, no waveforms on signal buses). Interestingly, I never had a damaged Mikey chip, it was always Hayato.
- Suzy damage (console turns on, no reading from the cartridge, graphics distortions, freezes)

I omit, of course, mechanical damage, e.g. broken power sockets.
I have never had any problems caused by capacitors, even if some were "spilled".

I will refer to the types of memory, please remember that two types of chips housing, DIP and PLCC were used in Lynx II. Check it before ordering.

That explains it, was thinking it could have been the with a few bad ram cell bits but after replacing them it made no difference, must be something internal to the Suzy as all the I/O channels seem to be communicating when I scoped them, pity I can't find any here in the UK otherwise I would have fitted a PLCC socket and installed one, plus cost of the chip plus import charges is prohibitive from some of the sellers abroad.

• 1 year later...

Hi, just wanted to chip in with some recent experience I had with a Lynx II. I got one in pieces together with Chips Challenge. I put it all together but the game froze on boot. Reading here I directly assumed something was wrong with my Suzy, so I tried reflowing the solder joints on it first. Didn't help. I then ordered another game: Paperboy which actually worked, but the intro screen just flashed past. I then tried both games on an emulator to see if the startup was the same there. And that's when i noticed that you should be able to throw papers with both A and B - for me only A worked. And I also noticed that if you hold down a button while booting up Chips Challenge it freezes with music playing, just as in my case! First I tried measuring if there was a short on the plastic membrane, but my multimeter didn't pick anything up, other than readings when you actually pressed buttons. So I thought the membrane was OK and instead tried to put some tape over pin 7 on the cart (which is where B-press goes in) but that resulted in an INSERT GAME screen. I then tried some tape over pin 3 on the flex cable from the plastic membrane (even though my multi meter readings said it was ok) and this worked! Chips Challenge booted ok! (couldn't use B-button ofcourse, but that told me exactly what was wrong). So I went over the entire plastic membrane with a Q-tip dipped i destilated water and a drop of dish soap. I think it was some dust particle that had gotten stuck under the plastic to the left of the power button. However, after that it all works fine! Oh yeah, I also had to cut off the top of the flex cable since the metal there was all worn off.

TL;DR:

Check your plastic membranes and the flex cable as well as the connector to the game carts - seems like many freeze-issues come from these two places.

Also, if your membrane is FUBAR, I noticed that RetroSix produces and sells new ones!

Good luck you all, and thanks for your help!

• Like 1