IGNORED

Apple IIGS (And others?) Best Battery Kit: No solder, off board, lithium.

I've sold at least 10, maybe 15 or so on Ebay with no complaints, only positive feedback:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293012012749

The issue: the IIgs ROM 1 uses a soldered lead lithium battery. Why, Apple?!

This kit lets you clip the battery leads, press on two very tight fitting wires that won't slip off or short other things like alligator clips would, and the other end press fits onto a PRAM type 3.3V lithium battery holder you can mount where you like. Zip tie to power cable, tape, etc.

Lithium also probably won't leak ever, unlike those AA kits that are also much larger.

So:

No desoldering

No leaking

No potential shorts

No soldering

Mount where you like

I did this to solve all the things I didn't like, so, I'm not just the inventor, I'm a user. :)

• Like 1

That's a pretty good solution! I'd grab one, but I just changed the battery in my IIgs, so I'm good for a while.

PM me I can knock a little off vs. paying the Ebay fees or if you just want the wires and socket you can get the battery when needed down the road. Sorry you had to unsolder/solder yours...I was too late! ;)

• 1 year later...

Those cells can let go.  I discovered going through my horde.  I have one LC III thats been rendered to landfill waste.  When they do leak it is NASTY.  The damage is extensive and beyond repair.

When I discovered that one, I went through all of my Macs in storage and pulled the batteries.  I did find a couple others that had leaked as well.... but not as extensively.... so those should be recoverable.

Another point to note about those cells....  I believe they will generally only leak once they fully die.  Some vendors are more likely to leak than others.  I can't recall if the pictured Tadiran cell leaks... I don't think so... I think in my sampling the purple Tadiran cells are all intact.  I think the ones that leaked on me where white, and I don't recall the vendor.

Nice kit.  Too bad on the soldered in ones I cut them flush to the PCB when removing them ?

Any idea if that holder matches up with the solder points on the PCB (allowing it to be soldered in) ?