IGNORED

Stella-thon 12 Hour Gaming Marathon Fundraiser!

ZeroPage Homebrew

STELLA-THON

12 HOUR TWITCH HOMEBREW

GAMING MARATHON FUNDRAISER!

1802592861_2019StellaFundraiser-1080P.thumb.jpg.52b9cfca95420960837227e56024afb5.jpg

WATCH YOUTUBE ARCHIVE OF EVENT:

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

STELLA-THON DONATION PAGE (GoFundMe):

https://www.gofundme.com/zeropagehomebrew-stellafundraiser2019

STELLA-THON AUCTION LIST (EBay):

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/rantradio/m.html

WHAT: 12 Hour Gaming Marathon Auction & Fundraiser for Stella Development

WHEN: Friday July 12, 2019 (Noon to Midnight PT!)

STARTS: 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT

ENDS: 12AM PT | 3AM ET | 7AM GMT

WHERE: ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

ZeroPage Homebrew will be streaming a 12 HOUR homebrew gaming marathon auction & fundraiser on July 12, 2019 for the continued development of the amazing Atari 2600 emulator Stella. Stella development began in 1996, is maintained by Stephen Anthony (stephena), and many contributors have put in the their time, equipment and dollars over the years towards its continued success. 100% of all funds raised through auctions and donations will go to the Stella project!

Over the twelve hours of the marathon the crew at ZeroPage will be playing all your favourite homebrews, taking gaming challenges from the chat, trying for new highscores and generally having a ton of fun. We'll also be auctioning off a whole bunch of generously donated items to help raise funds for the incredible work that's being done on Stella.

Supporting the development of Stella not only provides you with an amazing Atari 2600 emulator to play all your favourite old school and new homebrew games, it's also and incredibly important tool in the development of new games for your VCS! Stella has a large number of helpful utilities under the hood to help troubleshoot and analyze issues during the process of making a game. By supporting Stella, you're helping accelerate the development of games and push games to further and further heights!

Generously Donated Auction Items:

CLICK HERE FULL LIST OF ITEMS ON EBAY

(NOTE: Above list goes active at the start of the the Stella-thon!)

- Draconian - CIB (Signed) : Donated by Darrell Spice Jr. (@SpiceWare)
- Medieval Mayhem - CIB with Rare Clear Shell Cart with Box (Signed) : Donated by Darrell Spice Jr. (@SpiceWare)
- Space Rocks - CIB w/ Fridge Magnet (Signed) : Donated by Darrell Spice Jr. (@SpiceWare)

- Space Rocks - Poster (Signed) : Donated by Darrell Spice Jr. (@SpiceWare)
- Stay Frosty 2 - CIB w/ Limited Edition Cart #51 (Signed) : Donated by Darrell Spice Jr.(@SpiceWare)
- Stella's Stocking - Cart #153 with Manual (Signed) : Donated by Darrell Spice Jr. (@SpiceWare)

- Galaga - CIB (Signed): Donated by John Champeau (@johnnywcof Champ Games  (NOTE: Game will be released/shipped ~2019Q4)

- Retron77 Console - CIB Loaded with Homebrew binaries donated by Chris Walton (@cd-w), @Nathan Strum, @Thomas Jentzsch, Manuel Rotschkar (@Cybergoth), Darrell Spice Jr. (@SpiceWare), @Andrew Davie, Oscar Toledo G. (@nanochess), Karl Garrison (@Karl G) and John W. Champeau (@johnnywc) & Manuals from @Albert of AtariAge  (PLUS 2600-daptor D9, USB cable, OTG cable for the 2600-dapter, Retro-bit Genesis Gamepad) Donated by Nathan Strum (@Nathan Strum)

- Astronomer - CIB, Limited Edition #40 (Last Copy!) : Donated by David Flemming (@ozyr) of Packrat Video Games

- The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion Volume 1 & 2 (Vol 1 & 2: Signed by Ed Fries (@Ed Fries) (Microsoft/Halo/Halo 2600), Darrell Spice Jr.  (@SpiceWare)| Vol 2 signed by Brock Keaghey (@TheMajorHavoc) (Nexion 3D)) : Signed & Donated by Brian Matherne (@Arenafoot)

- Gold Rush - CIB (Signed): Donated by Dan Kitchen (@TikiDan) of Tikivision  (NOTE: Game will be released/shipped ~2019Q4)

- Halo 2600 - CIB (Signed by Ed Fries @Ed Fries) Donated by Albert Yarusso (@Albert) of AtariAge

Video/Audio/Text Call Ins Schedule:

1PM PT: Thomas Jentzsch @Thomas Jentzsch

2PM PT: John Champeau @johnnywc

3PM PT: Darrell Spice Jr. @SpiceWare

4PM PT: Dan Kitchen @TikiDan

5PM PT: Stephen Anthony (Stella) @stephena

6PM PT: TBD

7PM PT: Nathan Strum  @Nathan Strum

- + more!

Events During Show

- High Score Challenges: Wall Jump Ninja (Reclaim World Record), Crazy Balloon (Reclaim World Record), Draconian (World Record Increase), Draconian (First Level Only High Score), Astronomer (Patch Challenge), Ameoba Jump High Score Challenge (Dionoid's high is 21,256), Mappy (for 2019 Homebrew Tournament Round #4)

- Games to Finish: Knight Guy in Low Res World, Ninjish Guy in Low Res World, Spies in the Night 2, KO Boxing & AVGN KO Boxing, Lost Cat, Hunchy II, Isaiah's Wii Chase, The Stacks, Deepstone Catacomb

- Reveals: Box Art for Aardvark

More Ideas:

- What homebrew games would you like to see us play during the marathon?

- Highscores we should try to beat?

- Games we should try to finish?

- Crazy challenges we should try? (One we're going to try is the highest score possible staying on level 1 of Draconian!)
- Other ideas?

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just want to say that this is a GREAT Idea! It's like a telethon! You and Aerlan should wear tuxedos (or tuxedo t-shirts)!

I would like to see you guys try to beat the record in Astronomer, showcase different Adventure-based games & hacks, interview some of the top homebrew programmers via skype, track down someone like Tod Fry or HSW and play their games with them, attempt to get the scores for the Activision patches, and live auctions! :)

Edited by hizzy
  • Like 4

Suggestions:

• Set up two consoles, and have Atari Checkers play against Activision Checkers. (Yes... it has been done. But not on a live stream.) It could be something happening in the background, and you'd check in on its progress from time to time.
  • Play Dark Mage, but have the Chat determine what you do.
  • See how fast you can play through an entire Atari 2600 catalog (no third party games - only one game per cartridge to keep it manageable).
  • Interviews with homebrewers
  • Interviews with the Stella developers
  • Like 3

My folks are downsizing, even moving to a new home, so the item's I'm donating have been in my family. We're hoping to track down the manuals for Stella's Stocking and Medieval Mayhem, as well as the box for Stay Frosty 2, in time for the auction.

post-3056-0-75005700-1558190389_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

"the item's I'm donating have been in my family." - so not new, but very little wear and tear on the items we've found so far. The Draconian cartridge was still in the box, so its possible its never been opened, though I know all the other games have been played.

My folks are keeping their Space Rocks poster though, the one in the photo is an extra I've had in that tube since 2013.

• Like 1

Not sure if you are planning on doing this already but I would recommend...

• stating the fundraising goal upfront
  • including a rationale - e.g. the first $6,000 raised goes to the purchase of a $6,000 development environment; the next $2,000 goes towards internet and hosting fees; anything above that is banked against future stella related expenses
  • updating the progress during the broadcast
  • open a pre-event fundraising period - e.g. donations made during the period from June 21 through June 27 might count towards the final goal
  • run an updating list of donors (pending donor approval) so people can see if their peers have donated (and, potentially, how much)

I do a little bit of fundraising on the side; pm me if you want to talk about this a little more.

• Like 1

Great suggestions D Train, thanks so much! PMd!

• including a rationale - e.g. the first $6,000 raised goes to the purchase of a $6,000 development environment; the next $2,000 goes towards internet and hosting fees; anything above that is banked against future stella related expenses
  • open a pre-event fundraising period - e.g. donations made during the period from June 21 through June 27 might count towards the final goal
  • run an updating list of donors (pending donor approval) so people can see if their peers have donated (and, potentially, how much)

I do a little bit of fundraising on the side; pm me if you want to talk about this a little more.

Awesome Darrell, thanks so much for all of this!! I'll update the list at the top of the thread. :-)

We found the box for Stay Frosty 2, and discovered the CIB Space Rocks also contained the fridge magnet!

And yes, we found the box for Medieval Mayhem! I don't believe many of these were made.

I love the idea of video chats with Stella developers and homebrewers. Thanks for the ideas for the other challenges as well, keep them coming!

Thanks Nathan!

Suggestions:

• Set up two consoles, and have Atari Checkers play against Activision Checkers. (Yes... it has been done. But not on a live stream.) It could be something happening in the background, and you'd check in on its progress from time to time.
  • Play Dark Mage, but have the Chat determine what you do.
  • See how fast you can play through an entire Atari 2600 catalog (no third party games - only one game per cartridge to keep it manageable).
  • Interviews with homebrewers
  • Interviews with the Stella developers

• Like 1

I figured the only "rationale" for the money raised would be paying back in a small way all of the hours they have put into the project.

for small fundraising campaigns, especially for those not linked to a nonprofit, it's good to have a specific goal or a specific reason behind the fundraising.

keeps things transparent and above board.

transferring funds as a way of "paying back" for service opens all kind of doors relating to the potential for tax and insurance liabilities that we would all rather keep shut.

small transfers of money here and there are one thing, but once you start to hit five figures, you move into grey areas that are potentially very knotty.

I have a little bit of a background in this stuff and these are the types of things that keep me up at night or give me nightmares when I think about them too much.

I can only speak for myself (and Stephen has invested much, much more into the project, being the maintainer for more than one (two?) decade), but there are virtually no expenses on my end other that time that go into the development of Stella (or 6502.ts / Stellerator for that matter). My laptop is more than enough to handle development, and there are no hosting fees, github is free for open source projects. I am not a collector, and the only hardware I have ever purchased for emulation development are a Jr. with controllers and a bunch of carts off ebay (my childhood one got lost over the years) and a harmony cart. If I ever received money for my involvement with the project, the only possible purpose would be a compensation for the time invested; there simple aren't any expenses to be covered.

Edited by DirtyHairy

My folks are downsizing, even moving to a new home, so the item's I'm donating have been in my family. We're hoping to track down the manuals for Stella's Stocking and Medieval Mayhem, as well as the box for Stay Frosty 2, in time for the auction.

attachicon.gifIMG_1534.jpg

Hmm. Clear shell Medieval Mayhem. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Nathan Strum has sweetened the deal on his donation of the CIB Retron77 Console!! Not only will it be loaded with homebrew games donated by Nathan Strum, Thomas Jentzsch & Darrell Spice Jr.  it will also come with a bunch of awesome hardware including a 2600-daptor D9, a USB cable, an OTG cable for the 2600-dapter AND a Retro-bit Genesis Gamepad!!!! Thank you so much Nathan!!

ALSO the date has been bumped to Friday July 12th to give us more time for all the good things we have planned including some video call ins from developers and community members!

Stay tuned for more info!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, azure said:

Noticed something in the graphic. That should be 12PM-12AM PT. 12PM is noon and 12AM is midnight. It would be noon to midnight.

Ooops! You're absolutely right. We're streaming from noon to midnight PT, so it should be 12PM to 12AM. I'll change the graphic! Thanks for pointing that out.

UPDATE!

I want to thank David Flemming (@ozyr) of Packrat Video Games for his generous donation of a copy of Astronomer for the auction, the LAST copy of the game available! Astronomer will be complete in box and is numbered #40/40! Thank you so much David!

Also, I'm happy to announce that we will be having video callins during the marathon from community members! So far we the people that will be calling in are:

Darrell Spice Jr., Dan Kitchen, John ChampeauThomas Jentzsch (maybe) + more!!

Stay tuned for more exciting announcements !!

• Like 5