IGNORED

Stella-thon 12 Hour Gaming Marathon Fundraiser!

ZeroPage Homebrew

Well done everyone - managed to watch most of the 12 hours (some on watchback) whilst doing some programming on Arkanoid today.  Real pleasure to hear from all the luminaries across the Atari community.  Well done to James and the ZPH team on lasting the 12 hours!

in regards to my accent ;)

While I was born at an army base in Huntsville Alabama, and now reside in Houston Texas, we lived in the midwest from 2nd thru 10th grade. When we first moved up north I was thrown into speech class because of how thick my drawl was.  So I ended up saying you guys rather than y'all for a large part of my youth, I know that a bubbler is a water/drinking fountain, and I appreciate That '70s Show because it ties back to where I was when I was 7-15 years old.

While I'm back to saying y'all*, I still say a few midwestern things like pop rather than coke* (as a generic term for soda) which keys in people that I didn't grow up around here.

* which frankly makes more sense, especially when talking to a group that includes women

* probably because coke drove me nuts when I worked at KFC - frequently had customers ask for a coke, only to bitch me out when I gave them a Coke because they wanted a Sprite or something else. Attempts to head that off would often fail, if I asked "which flavor?" they'd go "I just said Coke!" as if I could hear the difference between coke and Coke. I was so glad when Pepsi bought KFC.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

probably because coke drove me nuts when I worked at KFC - frequently had customers ask for a coke, only to bitch me out when I gave them a Coke because they wanted a Sprite or something else. Attempts to head that off would often fail, if I asked "which flavor?" they'd go "I just said Coke!" as if I could hear the difference between coke and Coke. I was so glad when Pepsi bought KFC.

I worked at a local KFC after high school, about 27 years ago now.  I can agree that even in a different country with a completely different set of mannerisms, KFC (in particular) and retail (in general) sucks.

2 minutes ago, stephena said:

I worked at a local KFC after high school, about 27 years ago now.  I can agree that even in a different country with a completely different set of mannerisms, KFC (in particular) and retail (in general) sucks.

Worked my fair share of retail jobs when I was younger (Super Stop & Shop, Toys 'R' Us, D'Angelos, Electronics Boutique), and I will agree, it sucks!

..Al

Oh, and thanks to all involved (organizers, interviewees, people that donated and/or bid).  Went much smoother than I expected, given that 12 hours is a long haul.  I was able to stay for 8.5 hours, but had to go to bed after that (it was after 1PM local time).

Particularly enjoyed the interviews, and the 'war stories'.  My only issue honestly was with my own interview.  I don't like being on video or audio, so perhaps something was lost in the text (my fault, not James').  When I'm writing I tend to get technical and it sometimes comes out somewhat boring.

One major thing I missed was Thomas' interview; will definitely have to follow up on Youtube to hear his voice :)

So thanks again to everyone ...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stephena said:

My only issue honestly was with my own interview.  I don't like being on video or audio, so perhaps something was lost in the text (my fault, not James').  When I'm writing I tend to get technical and it sometimes comes out somewhat boring.

I didn't find it boring at all, personally.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stephena said:

Yep - if something starts to stress me out at work I'll often have a nightmare of being back at KFC, which puts everything back in perspective.

I do miss Original Recipe Corn on the Cob* though; we could make it for ourselves, but not for customers as it wasn't on the menu.

* yep, bread an ear of corn up like a piece of Original Recipe chicken, then toss it in the fryer. Yum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Worked at Burger King during HS.  The lunch crowd would go wild for the  Whaler sandwich.  Have to admit, the Whaler did me in. :(

I was only able to watch the livestream for the first few hours.  I didn’t make it to Dan’s interview, but will certainly watch the rest.  Thanks to all involved for putting this together.  

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

The 12 Hour Stella-Thon was a massive success and the most watched stream of ZeroPage Homebrew we've ever had, and considering the length, that's incredible! I want to thank all the amazing call-in guests, community members that donated the incredible auction items and everybody that tuned in to the stream! There were even a few people that watch the whole thing!!

We raised an incredible $1858.39 for Stella Development!!

($1297.39 CAD in Auctions + $561.00 CAD in Donations as of the end of the stream)

The EBay auction is not over yet and the donation page is still running over the weekend so the total will be even more when everything is done! We had a great time playing games and talking with everyone, thank you for making this such a great event! The full stream will be posted on the ZPH YouTube channel today if you missed it!

AUCTION AND DONATIONS ARE STILL OPEN!!!

STELLA-THON DONATION PAGE (GoFundMe):

https://www.gofundme.com/zeropagehomebrew-stellafundraiser2019

STELLA-THON AUCTION LIST (EBay):

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/rantradio/m.html

- James (and the ZPH Crew)

982710017_Stella-Thon-FinalShot.thumb.jpg.4b46b191d43356148b224c92cbe5f00e.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

* probably because coke drove me nuts when I worked at KFC - frequently had customers ask for a coke, only to bitch me out when I gave them a Coke because they wanted a Sprite or something else. Attempts to head that off would often fail, if I asked "which flavor?" they'd go "I just said Coke!" as if I could hear the difference between coke and Coke. I was so glad when Pepsi bought KFC.

4 hours ago, stephena said:

I worked at KFC too, during high school. Maybe we should form a support group. I will never get smells or sounds of the "maggot barrel" out of my head (where we dumped all the chicken fat and scraps).

On the plus side, that job is how I was able to afford my 2600. There was another 2600 owner there and we'd talk about the latest games. He even tried to warn me off Laser Blast, but I was mesmerized by the cool laser effect and zapping sounds.

4 hours ago, Albert said:

Worked my fair share of retail jobs when I was younger (Super Stop & Shop, Toys 'R' Us, D'Angelos, Electronics Boutique), and I will agree, it sucks!

I did Toys 'R" Us too. During the Christmas rush in '83. I worked in the "Security Booth" where we handed video games to people who had paid for them with a ticket. We had two display boxes there for the "Revenge of the Jedi" games. I hid them away with the intent of coming back for them, but was laid off after the holidays and never got them. It was better than KFC, for whatever that's worth. ;) 

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

WATCH YOUTUBE ARCHIVE OF STELLA-THON:

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

People can also immediately re-watch the ZeroPage streams on Twitch, without waiting for YouTube. Bonus: you can read the chat in a sidebar.

https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/videos

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nathan Strum said:

I did Toys 'R" Us too. During the Christmas rush in '83. I worked in the "Security Booth" where we handed video games to people who had paid for them with a ticket. We had two display boxes there for the "Revenge of the Jedi" games. I hid them away with the intent of coming back for them, but was laid off after the holidays and never got them. It was better than KFC, for whatever that's worth. ;)  

Funny, I also worked in the Security Booth.  I had to print those hanging tickets, put new items out for sale, and hand games and hardware to people after they purchased them.  As well as organize new stock when it came in.  I was working there when Super Mario Brothers 3 came out.  I think we received 600 copies of the game for our initial shipment.  It was a lot of work opening all those boxes (I think there were 5 or 6 games in each box) and putting them on the shelves inside the security booth!  And I did work there through one Christmas season!  Same at Electronics Boutique. 

..Al

• Like 1

What an amazing show it was!

I really enjoyed the call-ins!! Great to finally see and hear the people that inspired me to start developing for the '2600, which are Thomas Jentsch and Darrell Spice Jr.

Maybe next time Andrew Davie could do a call-in, because I think he also has a lot interesting things to say about the '2600 and game development in the 80's.

IMO Andrew's Atari 2600 Programming for Newbies together with Darrell's Collect Tutorial are an excellent way to learn about programming the '2600.

On a side note: last year 124 copies of Andrew's book were ordered from Lulu.com.

Edited by Dionoid
added link to Andrew's book
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Dionoid said:

What an amazing show it was!

I really enjoyed the call-ins!! Great to finally see and hear the people that inspired me to start developing for the '2600, which are Thomas Jentsch and Darrell Spice Jr.

Maybe next time Andrew Davie could do a call-in, because I think he also has a lot interesting things to say about the '2600 and game development in the 80's.

IMO Andrew's Atari 2600 Programming for Newbies together with Darrell's Collect Tutorial are an excellent way to learn about programming the '2600.

On a side note: last year 124 copies of Andrew's book were ordered from Lulu.com.

Thanks!

Oh man, looks like the tutorial got a bit mangled, I'll have to clean those up when I get a chance.

• Like 1

STELLA-THON UPDATE!

I will be doing a complete Stella-thon wrap up summary on this Wednesday's show but here's what's been happening since the stream on Friday:

AUCTION: The auction item totals keep going up higher and higher! There's only 17 hours of bidding time left on all twelve amazing donations so remember to get your bid in before NOON PT on Monday July 15th!

DONATIONS: Thank you so much to everyone so far who donated that I announced live during the event and the donations are still coming in! The donation page will also stay open until Monday July 15th at noon, after that time you can always donate directly to Stella. I want to thank the following people who sent in their donations after the stream was over:

- John Champeau ($50)

- Neil Bockus ($200)

STELLA-THON DONATION PAGE (GoFundMe):

https://www.gofundme.com/zeropagehomebrew-stellafundraiser2019

STELLA-THON AUCTION LIST (EBay):

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/rantradio/m.html

image.thumb.png.37ba5b247ae7b7fe6ffdf6dd5be5d548.pngimage.thumb.png.3d46de5bf2a831fbb57074b46acc7613.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

image.thumb.png.d8af754d07539a30450aa377acc29e36.png

A MASSIVE thank you to Neil Bockus who just 4 minutes ago donated $189 to put us exactly at our $1000 fundraising goal for the Stella-thon!!

His comment attached to the donation is: "Stella is an amazing program which helps the Atari VCS live on well beyond its years. You all help me to keep my childhood alive and I appreciate it!"

THANK YOU SO MUCH NEIL!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

image.thumb.png.d8af754d07539a30450aa377acc29e36.png

A MASSIVE thank you to Neil Bockus who just 4 minutes ago donated $189 to put us exactly at our $1000 fundraising goal for the Stella-thon!!

His comment attached to the donation is: "Stella is an amazing program which helps the Atari VCS live on well beyond its years. You all help me to keep my childhood alive and I appreciate it!"

THANK YOU SO MUCH NEIL!!

Thank you all for your work on Stella!  Glad I could contribute. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just finished watching the parts that I missed.  The call-ins were excellent, as was the gameplay.  It's a lot of fun to watch you guys play.

• James I was rooting for you to get the HS on Wall Jump Ninja
  • Can't wait for Gold Rush! and its patches.
  • The box/label art for Aardvark is sweet!  With all the possible releases, it looks like I'll need to bring a lot of ? with me to PRGE.?
  • Medieval Mayhem and Fall Down are excellent "party/game night" games.  Whenever we have a game night, those two (and Assembloids) get the most play.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

to put us exactly at our $1000 fundraising goal for the Stella-thon!!

it's always fun to hit a nice round number!

looks like as of 1 PM EDT, the auction is over $US1,200 as well.

Congrats everyone!  This was a really great event.

• Like 2