IGNORED

CX80 woes ?

Jase

Hi peeps, I really hope someone can help here.

I recently bought a new (but opened) CX80, and was disappointed to find it wouldnt move left properly. It was very erratic. I tried it in my 7800, 2600 and 800xl, all the same. The switch was in JS mode.

I contacted the seller and he said hed noticed the same (!) so had no problem with me returning it.

So Ive imported another one from USA, and this one was unopened. Surprisingly it has almost the same fault, only it wont move left at all! All other functions are ok.

Before I go through the hassle of returning it from here in the U.K., are there any things I can try? Ive opened it up and I cant get the PCB out easily. It seems like Im likely to snap a mounting post or something.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Jase

Fortunately all the ICs inside the cx80 are common off-the-shelf parts, so you won't have problems sourcing replacements for those.

But, as suggested by mr_me, first ensure to exclude the most obvious fault, that is the cable.
I'd also clean the JS-TB switch, as well as the connector pins with contact cleaner.

If you have an Harmony cart or UNOcart for the 2600, try the roms in the first post of this thread to test the controller in real TB mode.

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 1

Fortunately all the ICs inside the cx80 are common off-the-shelf parts, so you won't have problems sourcing replacements for those.

But, as suggested by mr_me, first ensure to exclude the most obvious fault, that is the cable.

I'd also clean the JS-TB switch, as well as the connector pins with contact cleaner.

If you have an Harmony cart or UNOcart for the 2600, try the roms in the first post of this thread to test the controller in real TB mode.

Thanks. Ill do the neccessary first as suggested, but Im feeling certain it will be an IC fault. Moreso with the cursor moving right whether you roll the ball left or right.

The harmony cartridge Ive considered but now Im wanting the Concerto cart as I use the 7800 mostly! I cant seem to find a cart for sale, are they available yet?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with a CX-53 for my 5200. The fault turned out to be a ~$0.50 4030B logic buffer. There's a Trak-Ball specific fan group on Facebook and one of the moderators and regulars is Dan Kramer, the man who designed the CX-22 and CX-53 while at Atari (the CX-80 is basically the same electro-mechanical design in a new package). If you haven't figured out the problem, DK will be able to help.

And sadly, Concerto appears to be dead as a project. Certainly Fred (batari) has gone radio-silent about it, unfortunately. :(