IGNORED

Lost Epyx Titles?

Farb

There were a few Epyx titles that were announced at 1982 C.E.S. but I have never seen released:

Does anyone know what happened to these games? Do the descriptions sound familiar to anyone as games that might have been released later under a different name?

Is A8preservation.com up right now? I clicked on all those titles and your direct link in your sig, and it acts like it's loading, but never loads and just hangs, not even a failure to load notice of any kind... :?

Is A8preservation.com up right now? I clicked on all those titles and your direct link in your sig, and it acts like it's loading, but never loads and just hangs, not even a failure to load notice of any kind... :?

It should be. I have occasionally seen the problem you are describing and don't yet know why it is happening. A browser reload usually clears it right up.

• Like 1

There were a few other Epyx titles annouced for the A8 but never arrived.

Don't forget that at least 2 Epyx Games, Winter Games (done by Action Graphics) and World Games (done by K-Byte)were not actually coded by Epyx in-house, Epyx only did the art...yet are refered to as Epyx titles.

Also in cases like Games:Winter Edition, planned events (Ice Dancing) replaced (with Figure Skating) due to hardware limitations on host hardware.

So it's possible the lost titles might of been planned to be out sourced as well or just couldn't be achieved to required standards.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

It should be. I have occasionally seen the problem you are describing and don't yet know why it is happening. A browser reload usually clears it right up.

Yep, it's loading fine today since I've restarted my browser...

Soldiers of Sorcery is the one that caught my eye, I always liked the Temple Apshai and Dungeon Quest games...

Edited by Gunstar

I can't imagine they were renamed as Epyx had gone to the trouble of printing name and game details which would be counter productive in getting the people interested and then renaming it..

I think its just that they were announced, probably started but were dropped in favour of other things..Epyx were a busy old company..

• Like 1

I can't imagine they were renamed as Epyx had gone to the trouble of printing name and game details which would be counter productive in getting the people interested and then renaming it..

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that Epyx themselves renamed them -- otherwise we'd have games that match that description published by Epyx.

However, if they were contracted out to another company for development, it's possible they might have been released by a different publisher at some point in the future if Epyx had dropped them.

• Like 1

Yes, indeed, that's a possibility, maybe it was relaunched as another title / budget item.....

As always, we want them...

I did a sweep of my stash and found nothing as per names, sadly none of them are my sort of games from the descriptions you had so I can't think of any games that match them which may well be out.

The strange bit is that the descriptions never appeared in any Epyx catalog, only in retailer ads (if i'm not mistaken). I always thought Soldiers of Sorcery eventually evolved into Gateway to Apshai.

I never saw these programs on pirated disk lists so our best bet would be former Epyx coders.

If memory serves, screenshots for SWAT Rescue appeared in Electronic Games (?) but that game never materialized either.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

I also have no memory of these titles in the piracy circles, Soldiers of Sorcery by name alone would have urged me to take a look...If someone said it was an RPG then perhaps not but when getting the software you didn't get a running commentary of what the games were, they were just another black square to look at...

For those looking through loose eval copies... S.o.S. would be on the label. it won't say Soldiers of Sorcery....

or at least it shouldn't say Soldiers of Sorcery unless someone decided to do so at some point.

Edited by _The Doctor__