IGNORED

NES High Score Club Season 15 Round 14 - Battletoads

asponge

It's time for Battletoads! 2 more rounds remain this season.

post-27362-0-60642500-1558305953.jpg post-27362-0-80304300-1558305960.png

Game Rules:

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday June 2 at 11:59 PM CDT.

AtariAge High Score:

627,350 by atarilovesyou posted on 11/30/2011

Scores so far:

mbd30 999,999

Floyd Turbo 255,450

asponge 249,600

empsolo 148,500

roadrunner 94,000

S.BAZ 92,250

jblenkle 57,000

Season Standings:

76 mdb30

76 asponge
45 S.BAZ
48 empsolo
27 roadrunner

23 bubufubu
24 jblenkle

19 mr_intv
21 Floyd Turbo

12 Wrathness

5 DustyNES

7 Mister-VCS
1 agb

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • No point pressing.
  • Round points are awarded according to the number of participants. Every player earns 1 participation point plus 1 point for every player they outscore. For example, if there are 8 players, the player with the highest score earns 8 points, second 7 points, third 6 points, etc. down to the last player who earns 1 point.
Edited by asponge

After some practice I reached stage 6 without continues. And then using continues I reached stage 7. I'm still very, very rusty. Battletoads is unforgiving. There is so much to remember and it's full of sections where not knowing that comes next is instant death.

Edited by mbd30

716,000 - I reached stage 9 (the Terra Tubes). I forgot how hard this stage is.

594,200 - This time I reached stage 7 without a game over. I'm gradually relearning how to play this.

pnirZw7.jpg

Edited by mbd30

After playing this now for multiple hours, I have a feeling this is the best I will do. Those damn jet skis get me every time. I saw the finish line on my last life, but hit the last barrier. Congrats to mbd30 for maxing out the score. Great job.

Floyd Turbo - 112,250 160,700 210,950 237,750 255,450 I finally beat that stupid Turbo Tube level after many, many, many attempts. At least I can beat the first two levels with my eyes closed now.

post-35359-0-69520100-1559321608_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Turbo

After playing this now for multiple hours, I have a feeling this is the best I will do. Those damn jet skis get me every time. I saw the finish line on my last life, but hit the last barrier. Congrats to mbd30 for maxing out the score. Great job.

Floyd Turbo - 112,250 160,700 210,950

You're getting so close to beating the turbo tunnel. Don't give up.

The last section of the turbo tunnel is still one of the more stressful parts of the game for me. I'm always glad when it's over with.

One of the other stressful sections is the end of Volkmire's Inferno. If you think that the turbo tunnel is bad...

You're getting so close to beating the turbo tunnel. Don't give up.

The last section of the turbo tunnel is still one of the more stressful parts of the game for me. I'm always glad when it's over with.

One of the other stressful sections is the end of Volkmire's Inferno. If you think that the turbo tunnel is bad...

Congrats on beating this game. I still find it super hard. I have the first and second levels down to a T, but that tube level. UGH! One little hesitation and its face first into the wall. I'll keep at it, but I may have to throw in the towel.

It's been great finding a game that I've never played before. That's why these old school comps need to keep going. So many hidden gems yet to play.

Congrats on beating this game. I still find it super hard.

As do most people. It's widely considered to be the hardest NES game for a reason.

Any lag makes the game even harder. Real hardware with a CRT is the optimal way to play, and that's not an option for many.

I maxed out the score. Second to last stage. I suck so bad at Clinger Winger now.

37wKgiR.jpg

Well done! I knew my score had to fall at some point, lol. Good on ya!

Definitely right about experience. My Achilles Heel in this game, and most games, is brute memorization. Those fire gates in the flying level just kick my ass. And since I didn't have access to save states back then, I only had a few shots to memorize the sequence. I have yet to finish the game but I love it all the same...I love the difficulty of it. Yet, it's really not that bad once you get to practicing it. Again, it's the lack of continues that prohibits the kind of practice one needs to truly master those later levels.

Congrats!

• Like 1

Well done! I knew my score had to fall at some point, lol. Good on ya!

Definitely right about experience. My Achilles Heel in this game, and most games, is brute memorization. Those fire gates in the flying level just kick my ass. And since I didn't have access to save states back then, I only had a few shots to memorize the sequence. I have yet to finish the game but I love it all the same...I love the difficulty of it. Yet, it's really not that bad once you get to practicing it. Again, it's the lack of continues that prohibits the kind of practice one needs to truly master those later levels.

Congrats!

You only get three continues. However, the game is generous with extra lives. As you improve at the earlier levels you'll have a decent number of lives to practice the later ones. If you're in a tough section with a 1up then they let you keep grabbing it if you die.. At least RARE gives the player a break in that respect. But there are so many trial and error instant death moments that it would be almost impossible to beat otherwise.

The main thing is that Battletoads is fun so that it's worth beating. Modern gamers put 50+ hours into the latest Zelda, Fortnight or whatever. Anyone could put that same amount into beating Battletoads. There's so much variety and inventiveness all throughout. It's unfortunate that most people give up at the third level.

Someone mentioned the fact that using emulation on a non CRT screen makes things harder amd I believe it. Although for my score I used a toaster plugged into my HD tv on game mode and had no issues. I've seen some games such as Mike Tyson Punch Out become virtually unplayable when using the NES Classic on an hdtv....the lag, however small, really counts.