IGNORED

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbrush Symphony (Atari 8-Bit POKEY Cover)

Fragmare

Hey, glad you guys like it! :)

It's a very high quality edit. You even used the "Bass Orbit" approximation, to get a nice musically baseline. Very cool.

But there is that technical aspect of 60Hz programming.

The "ff 00" pitch repeating adjustment seems to work fine on NTSC. But at PAL speed it sounds odd.

Mainly 3 instruments changed for PAL replay. And the replay speed is changed to pal speed.

OK. I did some other changes to get the high sounds less loud. And Instrument 4 is changed to act like a flanger effect.

What do you think?

Edited by emkay
  • Like 2

I don't know if its my hearing on the youtube encode but a few notes sounded off which I've not heard from your super duper tunes before...Can't say I remember the tune but I found the Diddy games rock hard later on :)

Apart from that I really liked it and a nice pleasant tune for a Wed morning..Thank you as always...

Ah, I think that is what Emkay is referring too in his post..

Edited by Mclaneinc

It's a very high quality edit. You even used the "Bass Orbit" approximation, to get a nice musically baseline. Very cool.

But there is that technical aspect of 60Hz programming.

The "ff 00" pitch repeating adjustment seems to work fine on NTSC. But at PAL speed it sounds odd.

Mainly 3 instruments changed for PAL replay. And the replay speed is changed to pal speed.

OK. I did some other changes to get the high sounds less loud. And Instrument 4 is changed to act like a flanger effect.

What do you think?

Nice! What is the "bass orbit" effect you mentioned?

I don't know if its my hearing on the youtube encode but a few notes sounded off which I've not heard from your super duper tunes before...Can't say I remember the tune but I found the Diddy games rock hard later on :)

Apart from that I really liked it and a nice pleasant tune for a Wed morning..Thank you as always...

Ah, I think that is what Emkay is referring too in his post..

There might be a weird note or two compared to the SNES OST, i don't know. The song data is loosely based on the 2A03+N163 cover that comes with Famitracker, but obviously needed to condensed and changed a bit to fit on the 4-channel POKEY. I went to some pretty great lengths to wage total war against the POKEY's tendency to cancel/amp when two of the same note on different channels, including doing some "arp detuning" among other things, so maybe that's it. <shrug>

Edited by Fragmare

Nice! What is the "bass orbit" effect you mentioned?

The polycounter is almost random. The randomness results in 3 different recognizable types of bass sound. Normally the randomness disturbs the bass . But it "add"s to the tune the way you used it.

There might be a weird note or two compared to the SNES OST, i don't know. The song data is loosely based on the 2A03+N163 cover that comes with Famitracker, but obviously needed to condensed and changed a bit to fit on the 4-channel POKEY. I went to some pretty great lengths to wage total war against the POKEY's tendency to cancel/amp when two of the same note on different channels, including doing some "arp detuning" among other things, so maybe that's it. <shrug>

See that it is possible to handle the "cancelling" to some stable type, and to build Synth-FX on it.

The polycounter is almost random. The randomness results in 3 different recognizable types of bass sound. Normally the randomness disturbs the bass . But it "add"s to the tune the way you used it.

Oh! That! Yea, it's really noticeable when the percussion starts kicking in... i was pleasantly surprised by how the bass sounded with the polycounter being reset after every percussion hit. The original actually has some funky stuff going on with the bass, and this ended up sounding similar.

Edited by Fragmare

Don't even give the odd note thing a thought, its a good tune and looking forward to your next inspired release...Shame things like the title from Plok are so sample heavy, great fun tune...There's so many great Snes tunes out there that work as music and not just because they are sample laden..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Don't even give the odd note thing a thought, its a good tune and looking forward to your next inspired release...Shame things like the title from Plok are so sample heavy, great fun tune...There's so many great Snes tunes out there that work as music and not just because they are sample laden..

Actually , it's not just a good tune. There are not much tunes for the Atari around, where you just can take a relaxed listen.

Even more odd: If someone thinks, there are moments of "detune" . How about having a look a the timer of the video, and to tell the time stamp ? Could be interesting to determine what the cause could be.

• Like 1

Actually , it's not just a good tune. There are not much tunes for the Atari around, where you just can take a relaxed listen.

Even more odd: If someone thinks, there are moments of "detune" . How about having a look a the timer of the video, and to tell the time stamp ? Could be interesting to determine what the cause could be.

Yea, pulling off soft, mellow, relaxing stuff on the POKEY isn't easy. It's like the YM2612, in a way, in that it likes to BANG and be loud. The 2A03 or even the SN7 is much better at being soft and mellow. The POKEY is better for loud, banging tracks, though.

The reason I asked initially re the detune was because I have tinnitus so some sounds don't work right for me but as you had already answered this I bowed to your superior knowledge on music and the creation of it. Not sure what you mean about the timer of the video, I know YT can affect the quality of video's.

Is that what you mean....Remember I am no musician :)

Yea, pulling off soft, mellow, relaxing stuff on the POKEY isn't easy. It's like the YM2612, in a way, in that it likes to BANG and be loud. The 2A03 or even the SN7 is much better at being soft and mellow. The POKEY is better for loud, banging tracks, though.

Hum....

But POKEY has the "advantage" of being very raw in programming . So it allows more to do than some may think of :)

Example:

Rather relaxed. The main melodic part isn't yelling, even the chorus fits to the single sound.

• Like 2