IGNORED

Atari 410 repair - flattened rollers

joelgraff

I'm working on restoring an old 410 cassette player. It's in great shape and I've successfully replaced the belts. But, when I had it apart, I also noticed the rubber rollers that drive the forward / reverse operations have flat spots on them - especially the forward roller.

So I need to source replacement rollers - then figure out how to replace them. I've been googling and really haven't found anything, apart from sources for cassette pinch rollers.

Is there anything that addresses this?

I think this guy can help you, ship him the old roller and he will put new rubber on it

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

this site has a large selection of new idlers and tires https://webspareparts.com/collections/belts-pinch-rollers-idler-tires?page=1

I have the some problem with my 410 someday Ill get the roller replaced.

Edited by eizner23
  • Like 1

So I've been investigating my options. Really, just to make this run, I could swap rollers (one is much better than the other) or try the O-Ring solution. But I think I'll try making my own first. Ordered some rubber solid core rope / cordage from McMaster-Carr. We shall see. :)

• 1 month later...

I replaced the three easy belts.  The main belt was hard as rock and stuck to the pulley.  I cleaned everything with 90% isopropyl and cotton swaps.  Of course rewind is not working at all, but fast forward works great.  I then hooked it up to my 130xe and tried to load a Pooyan tape.  Things did not go well.  The take up reel seemed to be moving jerky and eventually stopped turning.  when I stopped it, the tape had started to suck into the unit.  I had to rewind it by hand.  

I don't think it was the pinch roller.  I had cleaned that up and it looked great.  Maybe I need to try some rubber conditioner on the wheel.  Any idea what I should look at?

Don't use any chemicals like alcohol on the rubber parts:

Many people ask me what to clean their pinch rollers with.  I wish I had a good super secret  formula I used and could tell you about,  but I don't.  I see daily and hear what chemicals do to rubber,  and it isn't good. Sooner or later the rubber will be ruined.  Some types of rubber dry out, crack, and get hard, while others get soft and gooey.

My advise and its only my opinion, and I know this doesn't clean as good as some high octaine chemicals,  but I suggest just plain old dish soap and water,  then rinse good. 
Sorry thats about it.

As far as rubber conditioner, on my car I use Aerospace 303, with some components I soak them in 303 and they come up like new ;)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...