IGNORED

New HD genesis cable

envytomdead2

The model 1 adapter that's included only converts the bigger DIN to a smaller DIN. So no stereo audio for you.

At least it has an aspect ratio switch. That's actually kind of nice. I wonder if it's upscaling RGB or composite video. That could be a serious contender for the Mega Sg if the video looks even half-way decent.

edit: there's also an SNES cable Pound's, but with an aspect switch too. That one also supports the N64 and Gamecube. That means no way it's doing RGB, but it could be upscaling S-Video maybe? But again, Hyperkin doesn't say and refuses to answer questions when asked.

Edited by derFunkenstein

If it is just upscaling composite than its no different then my cooldigital av2hdmi with an aspect ratio switch and I'm not interested. If it's at least s video I'd consider purchasing this. Right now I am using my retron 3 for s video output and when I use that, giant use my converter with the aspect ratio switch. Its either s video or proper aspect ratio

If it is just upscaling composite than its no different then my cooldigital av2hdmi with an aspect ratio switch and I'm not interested. If it's at least s video I'd consider purchasing this. Right now I am using my retron 3 for s video output and when I use that, giant use my converter with the aspect ratio switch. Its either s video or proper aspect ratio

No way it is s-video since NONE of the Genesis models output s-video through the AV out ports. While the signals for chroma and luma do exist on the video encoder as outputs, they (Sega) never designed the proper circuits to use them as outputs on the Genesis.

If it uses RGB then my question is...how compatible is it? By default the 240p from the Genesis via RGB did work through scart to HDMI converters that I tested, but it was a very noisy picture and of course the jail bars were insane from my model 1. It would also have to introduce some lag in there as well with the conversion it is doing.

Still curious to see My Life in Gaming or someone else takes this cable for a spin and dissect it.

Well I will know soon enough on these cables. Retro game store near me got some of these in and was talking about them on FB. From the images they took off their small flat panel TVs they use, it appears to be using the RGB lines and apparently didn't exhibit any jail bars either. No word on the lag because the shop was testing and showing this cable on a Sony PS 3D TV, which I understand has crazy amounts of lag to begin with?

But for the price I've got them holding on back for me as I could see using this on my SMS.

Will update this thread once I've had a chance to pick it up and game on it a bit.

• Like 1

That would be great. It would be easy to pick up one for a model II and create adapters for other RGB and composite-able consoles (unless only the Nintendo model pick up composite signals for N64 compatibility, but then you can still hack the cable itself....)

Edited by CatPix

Okay..just a quick test with it...here is what I think is going on...

It isn't using composite and must be using the RGB lines as the text is too sharp for composite upscaled. The real tell is that dithering effects aren't present so it has to be converting the actual RGB to HDMI. So..here are the CONs first:

- while it appears to be using RGB and everything is quite legible. It presents a softer image overall compared to my HDretrovision cables through the OSSC.

- Colors aren't as vibrant as I'm used to seeing with other RGB setups or through my HDretrovision cables and the image is a tad darker overall.

- Genesis model 1 will output only mono sound of course through this cable due to the fact that model 1 units only provide mono audio from the AV port. So.. to get stereo on an unmodded system you would need to use the headphone port and route your audio through external means. This isn't a surprise given the model 1 design

- I have seen some noise in the signal that is most noticeable on areas with lots of solid colors. Greys, Greens, browns show it the most

- The initial adapter cable that came with mine is very flakey and it took some serious force to get it into the Genesis model 1 AV port and also to get a good connection on the model 2 connector end as well. In fact I've found my adapter cable from HDretrovision works much better for this and just fits better overall.

- The converter box gets pretty warm compared to the fact that my HDretrovision cables do not get warm at all

- The device requires external power to operate. It comes with a nice long USB type a to micros USB for powering it, but requires you to use your own power adapter. I supposed just plugging it into your TVs usb port would suffice but I was using a laptop charger to power mine.

- Audio is at a very low volume through this cable and it at least 20db lower than my VA3 model 1 is. To be fair this was tested on a VA6 model 1.

- There is a very audible hum from the audio that changes with picture luminosity.

The Good

- It only costs 29.99 MSRP so it is very affordable

- It is still a vast improvement over composite on a modern TV

- Simple to use

- 4:3 and 16:9 switch works and is a wonderful feature

- Works on the SMS

What about lag?!

Well I haven't the best method for testing this at the moment but I can tell you that it does introduce some lag of a few frames compared to what I get with my HDretrovision cables into my OSSC. The picture scrolling also exhibits more blurring in the image on movement than I'm used to seeing. The fact that you get a NO SIGNAL message when you have it plugged in but the console isn't turned on, is proof that this is using an upscaler/converter inside it. But it is of better quality than the others I've used as there isn't much delay at all to switch on when you switch on the console and it does have the 4:3 or 16:9 selector switch. I did find the switch to be somewhat difficult to change on the as it is level with the rest of the case and perhaps slightly recessed.

That's about it...so in summary:

This is a good cable to use if you don't want to send your system off to be modded for cleaner RGB and also have to spend all the money that comes with that in some cases for a nice clean signal. It is simple to use and comes with everything you need cable wise. It is a bummer it doesn't come with a power supply as the type of USB supply you use could affect how it looks and sounds. I was using my Lenovo tablet charger as I knew it would be strong enough to do the job. It does produce a softer and darker picture compared to RGB and even s-video I think in many cases looks better for color and sharpness in my opinion but it also depends on the rest of your AV equipment. I'm also a bit bummed that the audio isn't cleaner with the volume being much lower overall vs using the headphone jack, plus the extra noise that seems to be introduced in both the picture and audio especially. While not advertised, it is also a nice solution if you have an earlier SMS with an AV out port. Since that is identical to the model 1 Genesis I'm surprised Hyperkin hasn't mentioned this as well. If you play to just connect this up straight to your TVs HDMI input and listen and watch it that way, then it is a very affordable solution to get your Genesis or SMS up and running with a better picture than composite on a modern TV.

If it weren't for the much noisier and lower volume audio it puts out, I would have been more than happy to use this with my SMS permanently as the picture quality through this was better compared to my s-video on the SMS in regards to jail bars that my SMS produces badly. And no..I didn't see any jail bars during normal game play on the Genesis but I know they are still there as the 240p Test Suite grid tests etc you can just make them out.

• Like 6

Thanks for the write up. Doesn't sound like its really much better than an av2hdmi with an aspect ratio switch like the cooldigital.

I haven't used that device so I can't compare to it. But when I was using s-video through a converter/upscaler for many years, I think that looked better overall compared to the picture you get from this device. Still for a simple plug in play solution it does the job well enough for most casual players. It isn't for someone like me who pretty much demands the best picture and especially audio I can get from my systems.

I've also tested this with some RGB breakout devices like the ones used for the PC Engine and TurboGrafx-16. Basically a DB booster that gives you cleaned up RGB and allows the use of a model 2 genesis scart cable to get clean RGB from a PCE. Well, this cable works on that too! However, the image is MUCH darker than it should be. I'm going to see if I can get some pics taken today to demonstrate this and then post them up. Basically compare results of RGB - SCART through my OSSC vs this cable and maybe toss in my HDretrovision cable images as well from my primary daily driver Genesis.

I wonder if that blur you're seeing is from the upscaler processing input as 480i instead of 240p. I have a relatively inexpensive SCART to HDMI converter that does a great job on still images but moving images are blurry. It's treating the input as 480i.

Heck of a lot cheaper than an OSSC or even a RetroTink 2X. Hard to argue with that in mind.

I may be in on one of these. At $30, it's worth a shot and a hell of a lot cheaper than the Mega SG.

It's a little less at Flashback Ltd. Plus, you get a discount if you use the code: gemintronic

https://www.flashbackltd.com/collections/genesis/products/hdtv-cable-compatible-with-genesis-hyperkin?aff=12

Supposedly I get a kickback at some point to buy me a coffee. Which is necessary when making Atari 2600 games (or dealing with soft collision on the Genesis).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...