IGNORED

Atari800 4.1.0

baktra

Hi ivop, I'd forgotten about your terrific work, I know you don't get a lot of time but any plans for it...

Thanks! It's on my todo-list to try if it's possible to use PDM4.4, but it needs more writes to pokey, so I'm not sure. Maybe some C64 players work and others won't, depending on how much CPU time they need.

• Like 1

when i try to run this, it just opens terminal and says:

Last login: Wed Jun 5 19:38:42 on ttys000

Todds-MacBook-Pro:~ tmw$ /Users/tmw/Downloads/atari800-4.1.0-macos/atari800 ; exit;

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/libpng/lib/libpng16.16.dylib

Referenced from: /Users/tmw/Downloads/atari800-4.1.0-macos/atari800

Reason: image not found

Abort trap: 6

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Process completed]

It makes me nostalgic for how great altirra is even if I have to run VMWare fusion and install windows.

Serioously, this shoul "just run".

I suggest you consider altering this so that it actually works.

Yeah the mac build is not friendly to inexperienced users. The plan was to remove it and just give instructions on how to install atari800 from homebrew.

brew install atari800 

will get you the latest version, I updated the homebrew recipe a while ago.

if you don't have homebrew visit https://brew.sh

I guess Petr didn't have time to clean that up yet, I don't have commit access to the website just the atari800 repo.

EDIT: I've removed the binary for macos from the releases. I can't update the website.

Edited by Mr Robot

Ill just stick with Altirra.

Actually, you can simply install Wine (http://www.winehq.org) and run Altirra without bothering with Windows or VMWare (though I do own Fusion). There is a Mac install package to install Wine (no Homebrew necessary). I have run Altirra this way for a long time.

Lately, for my limited needs, I have used Atari800MacX since I use my actual Atari hardware for actually playing games.

Bob C

• 1 month later...

Mr. Robot, I´ve just tried to upgrade with brew, but when I start atari800 (from the command line) I get this: 

Error loading ROM image: /usr/local/Cellar/atari800/3.1.0/bin/OP_SYSXL

I´ve uninstalled all previous versions, so there actually was no 3.1.0 folder. So I´ve created that folder structure manually and put the ROMs there. Now it starts, but all I get is a grey screen (see attached image). What am I missing? It just doesn´t work, but also shows no error messages.

atari800.jpg

in your home directory you will have a .atari800.cfg file (notice the leading . ) that's the default config and in there you have (in the past) set up an atari800 install from homebrew and you used a very odd location to store your roms which you have cleared out at some point.

you can edit that file or just delete it and let atari800 set up a new one, given the version of the old one, if you don't have anything clever in there, I'd delete the file. 

Type 

cd
rm .atari800.cfg

into a terminal window to delete it.

if you delete the file and then run atari800 it should start up with altirraos as the default rom.

Edited by Mr Robot
more info

Reason why I use atari800 mostly:

$ time altirra
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
err:pulse:pulse_contextcallback Context failed: Connection refused
real	0m5.349s
user	0m0.472s
sys	0m0.672s
$ time atari800
Using Atari800 config file: /home/ivo/.atari800.cfg
Created by Atari 800 Emulator, Version 3.1.0

Video Mode: 672x480x16 windowed without vsync

real	0m0.746s
user	0m0.152s
sys	0m0.016s

I tried to press ALT-Q and F9 respectively as quick as possible. Let's say it takes at least five times longer to start altirra. That's waaay too long when I'm testing stuff. Note this is on a 3.6GHz octacore! I only periodically test stuff on Altirra or real hardware.

Edited by ivop
add missing quote

7 minutes ago, E474 said:

(this should just rename the configuration file, in case you set anything else up in it).

Given that @skr doesn't know the file exists, I'd be amazed if there was anything in there that was not settable from the UI and from his post it sounds like the cfg file was from v3.1.0. There were a lot of changes to the cfg file in the move to 4.1.0, a lot of the stuff in there would be wrong now and could even be the cause of his unworking install. 

29 minutes ago, ivop said:

I don't like Windows; Altirra in Wine still has the Windows UI.

Running Windows apps in Wine is at best an irritating slow buggy stopgap. Wine on macOS is still hamstrung by being 32-bit and by Apples abandonment of OpenGL in favour of Metal. The Wine devs don't think Wine will be 64-bit on macOS before Catalina is released, there is no roadmap for Vulkan support yet. 

Altirra takes ages to start in Wine, and it doesn't run full speed on my MacBook if I enable anything more advanced than Atari800 can do (Drive Emulation, VBXE, U1MB, Rapidus, Shaders etc.). 

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

in your home directory you will have a .atari800.cfg file (notice the leading . ) that's the default config and in there you have (in the past) set up an atari800 install from homebrew and you used a very odd location to store your roms which you have cleared out at some point.

you can edit that file or just delete it and let atari800 set up a new one, given the version of the old one, if you don't have anything clever in there, I'd delete the file. 

Type 

cd
rm .atari800.cfg

into a terminal window to delete it.

if you delete the file and then run atari800 it should start up with altirraos as the default rom.

Nope, that doesn´t work. I´ve deleted it, and then started atari800. It created a new config file, but still shows the grey window. Just smaller.

Using Atari800 config file: /Users/Sascha/.atari800.cfg

Created by Atari 800 Emulator, Version 4.1.0

Requested resolution 336x240 is not available, using 640x480 instead.

Video Mode: 336x240x32 windowed without vsync

3 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

No. Just a grey, empty window.

Digistar-5-Mac:~ Sascha$ atari800

User config file '/Users/Sascha/.atari800.cfg' not found.

Trying system wide config file: /etc/atari800.cfg

No configuration file found, will create fresh one from scratch:

Writing config file: /Users/Sascha/.atari800.cfg

Just a thought, what happens if you press F1? (fn+F1 if you haven't reversed the functions) it should show a menu, F9 (fn+F9) should quit.

You aren't getting any OpenGL init messages. I'd expect to see stuff like this. 

:~> atari800
Using Atari800 config file: /Users/steve/.atari800.cfg
Created by Atari 800 Emulator, Version 4.0.0

Video Mode: 873x667x32 windowed, pixel format: BGR16
OpenGL initialized successfully. Version: 2.1 INTEL-12.10.12
OpenGL Pixel Buffer Objects not available.

Can you type the following and C/P the results

which sdl-config
sdl-config --version
sdl-config --cflags
sdl-config --libs

I just removed my .cfg file and ran atari800, I got this 

>~:atari800
User config file '/Users/steve/.atari800.cfg' not found.
Trying system wide config file: /etc/atari800.cfg
No configuration file found, will create fresh one from scratch:
Writing config file: /Users/steve/.atari800.cfg

and a window with just a grey screen!

so here is my atari800.cfg file with all the rom locations blanked out, put this in your home folder and rename it to .atari800.cfg

that should get the window to display, you can hit F1 and set up everything from there.

I need to raise an issue with the atari800 devs about that not working right on new cfg creation. 

atari800.cfg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Nope, libretro is still using v3.1.0 from 2014, it was last updated 6 days ago to stop a crash bug on PSVita so there is active development, just no desire from the libretro devs to update the core.

Shit.

Hopefully they will some day see the light.

• 2 years later...

I've reviewed the comments on this tread and have attempted to install the Atari800 (atari800_4.2.0_rpi4_buster.deb) on my Raspberry Pi 4 using Raspbian OS.

It was downloaded to download folder and attempted to install; however, after prompts it was installing there was no indication it was installed or ability to start emulator.

I'm a noob rPi user ... I'm sure there is something I'm missing.  

/r

Gregory

Isn't the current PiOS based on Bullseye? You might have better luck with the "legacy" PiOS, which is Buster based (IIRC), though what does:

sudo dpkg -i atari800_4.2.0_rpi4_buster.deb

put up on the screen?