Oh... on the Speccy scene they tend to always refer to it as the Commode and I assumed the Atari people might as well. As I origin from the "Commode" part of the community, I'm mostly just trying to adapt.

(Also if you do a detailed Google search for Commode 64, you get quite a few hits of which most are unintendedly misspelling it)

• Like 1

That's fighting talk :)

Actually made me laugh...Never heard that one before...Anyway, back to business...

I've heard it called the Commode 64 since back in the day, at least by 8-bit owners other than C64...in most cases I think it was jealousy of the C64, except for Atari fans, or at least me anyway, I was jealous of the C64 getting more software, but never because I thought the C64 was better...in my case it was definitely looking down at it. But that was when I was young, I don't look down at it anymore, just over at it...

Of course I've been on the receiving end of such degradation as a fan of the Atari Jaguar and jokes about it actually looking like a commode with the Jaguar CD unit attached...but that's in console land...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Its strange, I've got deep roots in both the ATari and the C64 community and heard all sorts of references, just not that one :)

Typical of the Speccy lot though :)

And yes, the Atari bog seat was just destined, what were they thinking at the design level...

As for what machine is better, they all are, if you get fun from them then you have a great computer / console / whatever.....There's no rule that says you must have a direct favourite, just enjoy good games wherever they are..

Struggling to think of more construction / editor ready games..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Thanks for pointing this out, it interests me...but Adventure Creator is a graphical game creator, not a text adventure...

Adventure Creator... Wow That brings up some sore memories. I remember getting an issue of Electronic Games, and their feature game was "Adventure Construction Set" It looked awesome, I was really into games like Ultima, and ACS seemed like the ultimate tool for creating these things. Only problem, it wasn't on Atari. And even though Trip Hawkins wrote a letter to ANTIC Mag promising to port it to Atari, it never came out.

In the meantime I found "Adventure Creator" at a local store, so I thought I'd take a chance. But it wasn't very deep, and it always felt like you were making "Kiddie" adventure games, nothing like the ones I dreamed I'd be making in ACS. I ended up trying to code my own Adventure Game engine, it worked but was never finished.

• Like 2

Not on the Atari, but FOOTMAN for the Amiga is awesome. Closest Pac-Man clone to the real thing before MAME, and it had a maze editor. Even better, TWO PLAYER SIMULTANEOUS!!! The stereo sound separation was AMAZING!!!

post-8930-0-79801800-1558638944.png

3542_dbs1.png

Edited by scotty
  • Like 2

Adventure Creator... Wow That brings up some sore memories. I remember getting an issue of Electronic Games, and their feature game was "Adventure Construction Set" It looked awesome, I was really into games like Ultima, and ACS seemed like the ultimate tool for creating these things. Only problem, it wasn't on Atari. And even though Trip Hawkins wrote a letter to ANTIC Mag promising to port it to Atari, it never came out.

In the meantime I found "Adventure Creator" at a local store, so I thought I'd take a chance. But it wasn't very deep, and it always felt like you were making "Kiddie" adventure games, nothing like the ones I dreamed I'd be making in ACS. I ended up trying to code my own Adventure Game engine, it worked but was never finished.

Pretty much the same experience for me too. I was already in my late teens when I first got Adventure Creator from a discount bin, and while it was fun to create the adventures at that age, it was a bit too "kiddie" for me to play as well, but I had a younger brother that liked to play my creations, so it did get use from us both in different ways.

Sadly, all my original software, cartridge, tape and disk (all in one box) were all lost in a move in the mid 90's, it among them. The only other game I ever created levels for was EA's Racing Destruction Set, because it was the only one I actually had fun playing my own creations. I tried my hand at Lode Runner's Rescue levels, but got bored quickly, I don't think I ever even completed a level for that game.

Arcade type constructions sets would have interested me, but the one or two that were ever released for the Atari were just far too primitive and cheap Space Invader or Galaxian clones that could be made with them paled in comparison to commercial versions, so I never got into them. I'm sure better could be done, but just never has been.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

I remember playing a skiing game where you could create your own runs. This looks like it might be the one: http://gury.atari8.info/games/2648.php

Not sure if it was a commercial game or not.

Well,

in some PD libraries it is named Ski Construction Kit, in others it is named Ski King II - but the real name was "Ski Weltcup" and it was published commerically by Ariolasoft: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-ski-weltcup_6932.html

• Like 2

Pole Position Construction kit AKA Pole Position Race Designer.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-pole-position-race-designer_4044.html

Now that is cool, I never knew that existed. Is this a track designer that works with THE Atari Pole Position game? I really like the new hacked graphics version of Pole Position done recently, but wanted it done with the Pole Position +, X, versions with different tracks...I'm thinking maybe this will work to design new tracks for the graphically hacked version?

• Like 1

3 more games to add merely because they have a level editor

Milk Nuts

Spill

Electro Maniac!

Milk Nuts was the only game I knew of....Homebrew / PD I presume...

Edit:

Again just added because there's a construction kit available, home made mostly..

F-15 Strike Eagle Construction Set (1988)(Wareham, Chris)(US)[h Computerhouse UK][r F-15 Strike Eagle disk][bASIC]

Jawbreaker Construction Set, The

Pungoland Construction Set

Robosmash Construction Set

Slingshot - Construction Set

War Game Construction Set (1986)(SSI)(US)(Disk 1 of 2 Side A)

And Zebuland but I think that was mentioned earlier?

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 3

So since the original topic is about construction kits that were used to create games that were sold commercially, how about the BASIC Cartridge, does that count? :D

Ha ha....But in the term of kit it would be a no...Its a weird one though, technically you can do what you like with it but its not a dedicated product..

Pretty much the same experience for me too. I was already in my late teens when I first got Adventure Creator from a discount bin, and while it was fun to create the adventures at that age, it was a bit too "kiddie" for me to play as well, but I had a younger brother that liked to play my creations, so it did get use from us both in different ways.

Sadly, all my original software, cartridge, tape and disk (all in one box) were all lost in a move in the mid 90's, it among them. The only other game I ever created levels for was EA's Racing Destruction Set, because it was the only one I actually had fun playing my own creations. I tried my hand at Lode Runner's Rescue levels, but got bored quickly, I don't think I ever even completed a level for that game.

Arcade type constructions sets would have interested me, but the one or two that were ever released for the Atari were just far too primitive and cheap Space Invader or Galaxian clones that could be made with them paled in comparison to commercial versions, so I never got into them. I'm sure better could be done, but just never has been.

It's interesting that programming languages have been influenced by game construction kits with the addition of GUI designers for screens, levels, character graphics and sound.

In the 70's and 80's the BASIC didn't count by itself, but the program could because you could write a template program with all of those things to create a game maker construction kit; I did this with the adventures I wrote and had a few (improving) versions of this "adventure maker" as it evolved.

Good point about the arcade construction kits paling by comparison to commercial Space Invaders, but the Space Invaders video on this thread shows off an arcade construction kit BASIC being used to create a high FPS version of Space Invaders with enhanced graphics, animation and sound far beyond the commercial releases.

I'm in the process of porting the BASIC to the Atari 400 (the 8K version) and up and hope to see this game and many others running unchanged in a minimal footprint!

To make tracks for, sure. To play, nah...too choppy. Tho I did spend many hours creating "impossible" tracks (suicide drops, backward oriented one-ways) to make the computer players flip out.

What about Game Maker? I'm sure that there was at least one creation which was released commercially and reviewed someplace (even Game Maker itself came with Pitfall, tho that probably does not count).