IGNORED

New PC Engine / TG 16 HDMI option

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1185644.html

According to Google Translate:

Columbus Circle will release "[HD for PCE] HDMI Booster" in early August. The price is open. The reference price is 3,500 yen (excluding tax).

This product is a booster that can use an HDMI cable or an AV cable for MD2 with a PC engine by connecting to the "expansion bus" on the back of the main unit. In the initial PC Engine body (white), the connection with the television is specified using an RF switch, and at present, there is almost no support terminal installed on the television or monitor, but this product is used Can output the game screen to modern TVs and monitors. In addition, this product outputs composite output with an HDMI cable, and has no up-conversion function. Also, the cable is not included.

3500 Yen is around $31.65 US right now. That's super cheap. There's a Japanese Amazon listing but it's out of stock. If you're interested in only an HDMI PC Engine with HuCards, this look like a great way to go.

• Like 1

If you read the translated description you will see that it only outputs composite through the HDMI. It claims it isn't upscaling it though? So I'm not exactly sure how that works but yeah it is basically a CVBS to HDMI converter built into a booster like PCB. Likely best to stick with RGB and convert that through a Frameister or OSSC.

If you read the translated description you will see that it only outputs composite through the HDMI. It claims it isn't upscaling it though? So I'm not exactly sure how that works but yeah it is basically a CVBS to HDMI converter built into a booster like PCB. Likely best to stick with RGB and convert that through a Frameister or OSSC.

True, but if you factor in the price point--for someone not looking to spend the money on an expensive upscaler, it might do a good enough job. It'll be interesting to see how the video output actually looks.

True, but if you factor in the price point--for someone not looking to spend the money on an expensive upscaler, it might do a good enough job. It'll be interesting to see how the video output actually looks.

Then in that case just get a composite/s-video to HDMI converter for about the same cost now and run the standard AV out cables into that and then HDMI from the converter to the TV. They state it can only be used on models with the expansion bus but I'm pretty sure all the same models have composite and a stereo AV out port on the side as well don't they?

The white PC-Engine doesn't have A/V out, noly RF, but all others have it yeah.

Though are you sure it take composite? I don't remember if the expansion port does output composite or only luminance and RGB?

Your point stil lstand, rather than getting that board, using a cheap composite to HDMI or even using a DVD player/recorder as passthrough would do the trick.

I've never seen the white PCE upclose so I wasn't sure about that one. I do find it odd that it is RF only (Similar to the US TG-16), yet the Megadrive when released in JPN was AV out only and didn't have RF on it LOL. And yes, I can confirm the expansion bus outputs composite along with RGB and left right audio. There are other adapters that can be bought that plug onto the expansion bus to provide alternate AV output options. Even the US TG-16 had the Turbo Booster+ available that plugged into the expansion bus and provided stereo sound with composite video output along with memory storage for save games that supported it.

Yes finally! Been hoping this would happen and not be a huge pile of money like upergrafx2 which is like $400+ converted. All I care about is my core grafx2 and everdrive plus legit cards I have being spit out through HDMI so this is perfect.

The Core Grafx1/2 have a port on the side for RCA cable use, it's not RF based. The rear port can handle a pure digital signal much like the digital port on the rear of most (and all early) Gamecube consoles. So are we certain this is just some RCA to HDMI thing because if it's out the rear it should be taking a pure digital signal.

Edited by Tanooki

According to the translated feature set on this...from both sites I've seen it mentioned on, it clearly states it is a composite image through HDMI but with no upconversion? So I guess that means it is just producing a 240p HDMI? But that can't be right. And I thought the other video signals off the back had to be amped hence the need for RGB mods for these things?

The rear port can handle a pure digital signal much like the digital port on the rear of most (and all early) Gamecube consoles. So are we certain this is just some RCA to HDMI thing because if it's out the rear it should be taking a pure digital signal.

The rear port does not output a digital video signal. It has pins for RGB and Csync along with composite. It's a little disappointing this doesn't take the RGB signal for HDMI, but sigh.

It's not a translation issue this time, it literally says that it just outputs composite video without upscaling it. I don't understand the point of this product. You can get a composite -> HDMI converter for the same price and will likely get the same quality in the end, but can use it with other systems too.

• Like 1

I've never seen the white PCE upclose so I wasn't sure about that one. I do find it odd that it is RF only (Similar to the US TG-16), yet the Megadrive when released in JPN was AV out only and didn't have RF on it LOL. And yes, I can confirm the expansion bus outputs composite along with RGB and left right audio. There are other adapters that can be bought that plug onto the expansion bus to provide alternate AV output options. Even the US TG-16 had the Turbo Booster+ available that plugged into the expansion bus and provided stereo sound with composite video output along with memory storage for save games that supported it.

Well the PC-E was released in 1987 in Japan, and the Megadrive in 1989, enough time for Sega to hear complaints about the PC-E lack of A/V out.

It's not really a surprise tho. Unlike what we imagine, most Japanese people can't afford the most up to date tech - years later, the Nintendo Wii's lack of HDMI and even YUV output was based on Nintendo's observation that most young casual Japanese gamers only had low-end TV sets with ho HD so they adapted for that market.

• Like 1

Well the PC-E was released in 1987 in Japan, and the Megadrive in 1989, enough time for Sega to hear complaints about the PC-E lack of A/V out.

It's not really a surprise tho. Unlike what we imagine, most Japanese people can't afford the most up to date tech - years later, the Nintendo Wii's lack of HDMI and even YUV output was based on Nintendo's observation that most young casual Japanese gamers only had low-end TV sets with no HD so they adapted for that market.

Is that what it was?

It may be fine for the JP market but why imposing it onto everyone else?

In US HD was getting popular (XBOX 360 launched with component in 2005, and in 2007 moved to HDMI, PS3 in 2006 launched with HDMI directly but supported component via the AV connector) ... note that US forced ATSC on 2005.

Did Nintendo really think HDTV would tank?

Yeah, we already owned a Wii and a 360 before we ever considered an HDTV.

Also don't forget that the original Xbox 360 did not have an HDMI port. So it's not like it was just Nintendo. Both of those systems came with composite AV cables and component cables were a separate purchase.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Is that what it was?

It may be fine for the JP market but why imposing it onto everyone else?

In US HD was getting popular (XBOX 360 launched with component in 2005, and in 2007 moved to HDMI, PS3 in 2006 launched with HDMI directly but supported component via the AV connector) ... note that US forced ATSC on 2005.

Did Nintendo really think HDTV would tank?

I don't think they though it would tank, just that being designed to appeal to casual gamers, said casual gamers wouldn't care about HD and/or wouldn't be equipped.

Remember also, Nintendo said that HD definition wouldn't be a priority for the Wii U! And that implied that the Wii U may or maybe not have HD video out, and this, until very late in the console development.

And it's almost certain that the HDMI was added on the Wii U mostly for the export market, not for the Japanese one.

Anyway, that's one reason the original PC-Engine came out with RF only.

The second is that while Hudson got money on selling the consoles and games, NEC only got money on console sales. So, many console upgrades and accessories were planned by NEC-Hudson from the get go; for example Japanese launch adversts for the PC-Engine mention the CD-ROM add-on, despite the fact that at this point in time, it was merely being defined and they weren't sure they could delived it.

This also explain the Supergrafx and the Shuttle, and the GT and LT models.

The thread title is such a tease. Coming up with a true digital HDMI solution for the PCE is not a matter of if, but when. Unfortunately, this is just another plug and play adapter solution that uses the existing available analog signal, like the PS2 and Dreamcast HDMI cable/adapters out there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The thread title is such a tease. Coming up with a true digital HDMI solution for the PCE is not a matter of if, but when. Unfortunately, this is just another plug and play adapter solution that uses the existing available analog signal, like the PS2 and Dreamcast HDMI cable/adapters out there.

There's the UperGrafx which takes digital video data from the expansion port and outputs 720p over DVI, but it costs about $375 so not exactly an affordable choice.

Edited by ApolloBoy
  • Like 1