IGNORED

Deepstone Catacomb in 30 days (360 hours)

mickmuze

post-68377-0-07487400-1558509340.png

https://www.mickmuze.com

Hey everyone, I'm Mick. A little while ago I decided to try and learn batari Basic and finish what I hope would be considered a good game in 30 days of programming. I kept a daily journal as I did this and the game is now complete. I am currently working on creating the artwork and designing the manual but thought I would release my development notes as a blog in the mean time. So the link to the daily blog is above if you are interested.

Cheers :)

Mick

• Like 13

Awesome. I can't wait to read and follow. I did a development blog for my project too after a similar start. Making a game for the Atari is very rewarding. I have been having fun learning batariBasic and someday can be very therapeutic, like a good jigsaw puzzle.

• Like 1

My game is currently a work in progress. It is called Bag Boy!

Here is the thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/283699-wip-bag-boy/page-1

If I were to describe the gameplay, I would call it a classic arcade-style game with elements similar to those found in Frogger and Defender, where you must grab a shopping cart in a parking lot and dodge cars bringing it back to the store.

I always wanted to make an Atari game but never really learned much in the way of programming apart from some BASIC back when I was little. I was online when night and came across batariBasic. I couldn't believe I had let that slip by for so many years.

Not only has it given me a hobby but it has kind of refocused my Atari enthusiasm and I am impressed at all the hard work everyone has done and am excited to see what folks are able to make.

Edited by KevKelley
  • Like 1

I like how you did the walls to have a top-down 3D effect, similar to Zelda and adds something more then just plain live walls. The sprites are also nice. Be interested to set where this goes being I liked games like Secret Quest.

The game went through a ton of changes as I continued to learn the code. At this moment I am very happy with how it has turned out and excited to share it.

I believe I seen your game on Zeropage Homebrew. Just forgot who made it. The one with the lightning effect. Looks cool, I’ll make sure I give it a go when I get a minute.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mick,

There are many ways to optimize and get back both bytes free and produce faster compiled code. 

Ways ranging from very simple, easy formatting such as putting many variable declarations of the same value on one line:

(a=8: b=8: player0x=8: NUSIZ0=8) 

Putting the above all on separate single lines causes the compiled code to be 12 bytes larger. 

... to complex optimizations: like ways to remove tons of zeros in sound and music data. 

Some changes can make the source text harder to follow and harder to make global future changes, but result in faster running code that compiles smaller (more free bank space).

For instance having a player x-y value together would be easier to see and change in the whole game, versus if the playerX=8 was moved to a line where other variables that equaled 8 were strung together. 

In doing my programs, I like deciding on these trade-offs. 

Thanks iesposta!

I wish I knew all the tricks. I’ve learned a few by an obsessive amount of trial and error. But the one you mentioned about identical variables all on the same line is one I haven’t discovered yet.

play testing, I noticed one small part in the game that will (rarely) go over cycle limit. I’m going to try to track it down tomorrow morning before I send it off to James.

Was just thinking, is there a dedicated webpage that just lists the many ways of crunching and optimizing Batari code? I’ve seen some notes throughout random terrain’s which helped a lot but a single page source of each way that was found to optimize would really be handy towards the end of projects

That could be interesting. I had always read people posting about optimization and kind of scratched my head but several big programming sessions I had I started to understand more, whether it was rewriting a line of code or eliminating redundancies. My last big optimization occurred when I was playing around with my collision detection code and freed up hundreds of bytes by simply following the written program. 

But I would love to understand more about the previous post about why that particular way works best.

We'll be featuring the WORLD EXCLUSIVE DEBUT of Deepstone Catacomb LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Gorilla Force (2019 WIP) by ZackAttack and Jason D aka MayDay
- Wushu Masters (2019 WIP) by ZackAttack and Jason D aka MayDay
- Robot Zed (2019 WIP) by Chris Spry aka Sprybug
- Deepstone Catacomb (2019 WIP) by Mick Crocker aka mickmuse

490145125_20190619-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.bac7aff5a84bd8ccee0fb858814a6882.jpg

• Like 3

I just watched the video and I think it looks amazing. Love all the sounds (including the footsteps), options, enemies, and animations. It really does appear to have a nice difficulty progression that requires a bit of strategy. 

I had been following the blog, as I had done something similar, and it is amazing to see everything from where the game started to the thought process behind the alterations and decisions. It is also inspirational to read because it gets one wanting to program (I know when I have found myself in a lull and I had just read your daily entry it made me sit down and do something, even if it was a minor touch.)

It is funny when looking at games like Secret Quest, which is mildly enjoyable, and this, which looks a whole bunch better. Watching ZPH play makes me believe this is a game one can get addicted playing. It is sad that games like this didn't come out back in the day. I feel they would have prolonged the life of the system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you KevKelley, feeling very relieved by the positive response it got. I was a bit nervous.

my girlfriend and I had a blast watching the show and talking with everyone in the chat.

I’m going to rewatch it once it’s on YouTube and try to take notes to help me polish it up a bit more before a public release.

Thanks again, cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Really enjoyed reading your blog Mick - great information about designing your game and working within the confines of the Atari which is certainly a unique process!

Look forward to playing it soon and catching James's stream to find out more ?

• Like 1

If you missed our live Twitch broadcast of us playing Deepstone Catacomb yesterday, here's the YouTube archived version of the show!! Be sure to subscribe to the ZeroPage Homebrew Youtube, Twitch and Facebook channels (links below) so you don't miss any upcoming episodes!

(Deepstone Catacomb starts at 2:30:32)

SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks James, I’m glad you guys got to finish it. It’s been fun watching all the episodes.

I can’t wait to have it on cartridge myself. It’s been kind of a dream of mine since I was a kid ? 

Currently polishing the game and drawing up the art on all my (sadly limited) free time to get this out.

• Like 5