IGNORED

Are repros 100% safe? (Battlesphere Gold)

marcio_napoli

Hi,

I've been considering getting some repros for my Jag (mainly Battlesphere and Atari Karts), and before anyone says that's illegal, please consider I'm paying 4x more on top of what you guys pay in USD, due to currency conversion. So any of these games, I'm actually paying from 1k to 5k+ in my currency. Needless to say, that's way too much.

Ok, so far the only Battlesphere Gold repro I find on Etsy is looking great, and the seller guarantees it works flawlessly and zero harm to the console, same voltage as original carts, etc.

But I'm paranoid on this subject, having spent a ton on my console.

Is it just deep paranoia, or a repro can actually damage the console due to wrong PCB voltage, resin residues, or too thick cart PCB contacts? Do I need to worry at all?

Are repro carts 300% safe for the console, zero wear or harm at all?
Thanks in advance!

Its hit or miss in regards to repos being safe or not for your system. With the NES//SNES and Genesis you should always use a pass through such as a game genie when playing repos as that's what I do. Without a pass through you can spread your consoles connectors as some repo boards have different witdhs and some do have different voltage which will give a slow death to your console. I dont think there is any pass thru for the jaguar so proceed with caution. I tend to steer clear of jaguar repos because of this. Hope this helps

Its hit or miss in regards to repos being safe or not for your system. With the NES//SNES and Genesis you should always use a pass through such as a game genie when playing repos as that's what I do. Without a pass through you can spread your consoles connectors as some repo boards have different witdhs and some do have different voltage which will give a slow death to your console. I dont think there is any pass thru for the jaguar so proceed with caution. I tend to steer clear of jaguar repos because of this. Hope this helps

What's a repo? A game that someone couldn't pay off and the repo man had to come take it away? Also, what you are saying largely makes zero technical sense.

To answer the OPs question about repros, most are made using original Atari PCBs.

What's a repo? A game that someone couldn't pay off and the repo man had to come take it away? Also, what you are saying largely makes zero technical sense.

To answer the OPs question about repros, most are made using original Atari PCBs.

Yea repos are from the repo man glad you figured that out on your own. Most REPRODUCTIONS for most systems do use original boards from donor carts but some cheaply made one use new boards that can damage your system and spread the consoles connector terminals. I seem to hit a nerve so sorry if I criticized your handy work. Just looking out for other gamers so they know there is a possibility a reproduction cartridge can damage your system

Yea repos are from the repo man glad you figured that out on your own. Most REPRODUCTIONS for most systems do use original boards from donor carts but some cheaply made one use new boards that can damage your system and spread the consoles connector terminals. I seem to hit a nerve so sorry if I criticized your handy work. Just looking out for other gamers so they know there is a possibility a reproduction cartridge can damage your system

What handy work? I've never made a reproduction cart in my life. Also this thread is about Jag reproductions, not "most systems".

The question doesn't make much sense, voltage is regulated by the system.

A couple years ago someone did a write-up on 3.3v flash chips being used in 5v systems. It has caused waves of confusion by people who have no idea what they're talking about and just repeat points they don't fully understand.

• Like 2

A couple years ago someone did a write-up on 3.3v flash chips being used in 5v systems. It has caused waves of confusion by people who have no idea what they're talking about and just repeat points they don't fully understand.

I guess. As for the thickness, FR-4 is FR-4, if someone uses something else, instant fail. Residue question makes no sense to me, what does that mean?

BTW, all Jaguar games in the AA store are made with brand new boards.

EDIT: You can also buy your own PCB's, from someone else.

• Like 1

Like I said I guess I hit a nerve sorry to hurt your feelings. Other people should know what they're getting into

Hi,

First of all, thanks everyone for the replies, it seems people genuinely want to help, I appreciate that.

Consider this thread is not just important info for me, but for everyone else looking at repros and are unsure if it harms the console.

Well, you guys think it's safe or ethic to post the seller's link here?

I'll make a detailed post, item by item, so you can help on the most precise info, ok?

My concerns all come from this thread below (Googling on the subject):

www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?30175-Possible-that-repro-carts-can...

To make it short, people commented on some possible issues:

"Another issue could be thicker PCBs used in repro/homebrew/flash carts. They can push back the pins in the console's connector slot, and cause all sorts of issues."

"I heard flash carts take more power from the system thus damaging it in the long run."

"Most likely the repro maker used rosin core solder, which usually leaves a flux residue behind. If it's not cleaned away, sometimes it can be slightly conductive and cause weird problems like what you're seeing."

I mentioned resin, voltage, PCB thickness because of these.

I've contacted the seller about these, and his answers were as follows (hey seller, sorry in advance for quoting a private conversation):

"My pcb pulls no more current than a normal game. I use epproms of the same class not flash of a diffrent voltage. My systems has so many test on it and still runs np at all with real games. My games are soldered with resin free solder for this issue a lone. There is NO residue on the boards. If your caps go bad with my games its due to them being old. Hope this helps and I only use a quality part not cheap junk. That is the reason mine cost more than others on here."

So far, all excellent!

But there's a catch.

I've asked him twice about his PCBs and nowhere he mentions he uses original Jaguar cart PCBs. Is there a generic type available he might be using?

I assume if he uses original Jag PCBs, he'd have mentioned it, right? (a clear plus)

My concern is:

We all know he can be the most honest person in the world, but regardless of that, anyone can say whatever one wants online.

How can I be sure a generic PCB (assuming so) provides zero wear?

My Jag was too expensive to risk any harm, even if takes hundreds of hours playing non-original carts.

With this new information, can I just trust the seller and buy with confidence?

Is there anything more I should ask him?

BTW, expensive repros, 35 EUR each.

Could be quality stuff.

All I can tell you is that I had my BSG same way (maybe different seller) and I played it exactly once to see it and never again.

Not my cup of tea, in the end as I don't seem to care I'm glad I didn't have to shell much for it at all and I am actually glad it says "reproduction" on the label so there are no doubts wrt its provenance/lineage (aka it's a freaking unauthorized copy).

In other news given all the self doubts about the problems you think you may encounter I'd say to let it go. No one here can wholeheartedly recommend it to you as it seems at the moment you have a morbid attachment to your Jag and no one can guarantee one way or another.

If I were you I'll wait for SainT SD card cartridge which may support it and take it from there, the thing is you may have to wait for it a little bit (even if things seem to have progressed well so far) and I am not sure you can do that ... I have been there and sometimes "I gotta have it now" .... warts and all.

• Like 2

All I can tell you is that I had my BSG same way (maybe different seller) and I played it exactly once to see it and never again.

Not my cup of tea, in the end as I don't seem to care I'm glad I didn't have to shell much for it at all and I am actually glad it says "reproduction" on the label so there are no doubts wrt its provenance/lineage (aka it's a freaking unauthorized copy).

In other news given all the self doubts about the problems you think you may encounter I'd say to let it go. No one here can wholeheartedly recommend it to you as it seems at the moment you have a morbid attachment to your Jag and no one can guarantee one way or another.

If I were you I'll wait for SainT SD card cartridge which may support it and take it from there, the thing is you may have to wait for it a little bit (even if things seem to have progressed well so far) and I am not sure you can do that ... I have been there and sometimes "I gotta have it now" .... warts and all.

It's easy to see why I have doubts and so attached to my Jag: in my currency, I paid around $1.300 bucks for it (and that was cheap, most ebay Jags - after currency conversion - would arrive at my door for $2k, 2.5k).

Not only I wanna preserve my Jag intact, but the sheer thought of getting a replacement down the road for 2.5k is downright scary.

These repros sellers care for their reputation, AKA word of mouth, I'm sure they're selling decent stuff.

My fears come from using such unnoficial carts for extended periods of time, months, years, just to find out 2 years from now (who knows) my Jag was being silently messed up internally all this time. Who knows...

Well, since there's no guarantees but the sellers word, I'll go for it hoping for the best.

Yeah regarding BS, I too thought I'd play it very little and shelve it, but the more I see videos online, the more I like it. Very reminiscent of Wing Commander, which I love.

Welcome to the Third World... ;) ughh... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Whatever prices you guys pay in USD, it's 4x for me due to weak currency conversion. Shipping usually adds another 50+ USD, and this is hoping the package doesn't taxed at the Customs when it arrives here.

If it does, for electronic goodies you add another 60% on top of what you've paid for the product itself + shipping costs.

I consider myself super lucky that my Jag didn't get taxed, so I only paid roughly 300 USD (with shipping) times 4! :-D :-o :_( :woozy: :woozy: :woozy:

Third World countries are royal $hitholes.

Life here is like setting a game in the hardest mode available, no continues, 1 life, and playing with a broken controller. :P

This is why these repros are on my radar.

A legit BSG copy is absolutely out of question for me. Gotta be repro, and gotta be safe for my beloved Jag :-D

Haha thanks! :grin: :grin: :grin:

The Jag is the cheap link in the chain. Games are worse.

The other day I bought an AVP copy from a guy in Germany, and paid 400 bucks (in this lame @ss currency), couldn't believe how cheap I got it, CIB! :-D (400 bucks here is roughly 100 USD)

It's a slooooow process of 1, 2 games per month, but it's worthy it, love it!

Wouldn't trade my Jag for a PS4 Pro full of games if offered the chance.

I bought battles-here gold on a repro cart. The seller was very dodgy- communication dropped to zero and the cart didn’t turn up for months. After a rather heavy public shaming on twitter and getting my bank to get a refund the cart turned up. Go figure.

The game itself works fine and has not damaged the console in any way.

Anyway- I don’t see the harm in actually buying repro carts of games like Atari karts etc. They are basically out of print games so the only guys you are harming are the scalpers who put these out at ridiculous prices.

Repros of home brews available to from the people who made them are not acceptable. Songbird, Atari Age, Reboot games etc.

I’ve bought a few repro Saturn discs as the originals on eBay are 100s of pounds each. Sega wouldn’t get any money off those 100s of pounds so why can’t people have the option to buy a repro for a fiver.

Are my morals out of place here.

Welcome to the Third World... ;) ughh... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Whatever prices you guys pay in USD, it's 4x for me due to weak currency conversion. Shipping usually adds another 50+ USD, and this is hoping the package doesn't taxed at the Customs when it arrives here.

If it does, for electronic goodies you add another 60% on top of what you've paid for the product itself + shipping costs.

I consider myself super lucky that my Jag didn't get taxed, so I only paid roughly 300 USD (with shipping) times 4! :-D :-o :_( :woozy: :woozy: :woozy:

But no money from the sale of the battle sphere gold cart would go back to the original developers- it would go entirely to the person charging the silly price. So buy the repro.

Third World countries are royal $hitholes.

Life here is like setting a game in the hardest mode available, no continues, 1 life, and playing with a broken controller. :P

This is why these repros are on my radar.

A legit BSG copy is absolutely out of question for me. Gotta be repro, and gotta be safe for my beloved Jag :-D

And none of the money from the ridiculously priced legit battlesphere cart would go to the original developers. Edited by Kal

Anyway- I don’t see the harm in actually buying repro carts of games like Atari karts etc. They are basically out of print games so the only guys you are harming are the scalpers who put these out at ridiculous prices.

You not liking current market prices doesn't suddenly make every single seller a scalper.

• Like 1

I bought a repro on Etsy for $39 with free shipping. You could not tell the difference between original and fake except it says reproduction label on the label. Works perfectly.

Edited by 82-T/A
  • Like 1

I bought battles-here gold on a repro cart. The seller was very dodgy- communication dropped to zero and the cart didn’t turn up for months. After a rather heavy public shaming on twitter and getting my bank to get a refund the cart turned up. Go figure.

The game itself works fine and has not damaged the console in any way.

Repros of home brews available to from the people who made them are not acceptable. Songbird, Atari Age, Reboot games etc.

I’ve bought a few repro Saturn discs as the originals on eBay are 100s of pounds each. Sega wouldn’t get any money off those 100s of pounds so why can’t people have the option to buy a repro for a fiver.

Are my morals out of place here.

Like you, I see no harm in repros of games made during the Jag's lifespan. However, BSG was released afterwards, and even if it's no longer being made, the developers quite clearly made their thoughts known about their distinct opposition to repros of their games being made, or with ROMs of their work being distributed in any way. I think it's a bad look for the Jag community to patronize the dodgy repro sellers, or to pirate the game knowing how the developers feel about it.

Edited by Sauron
  • Like 1