IGNORED

Anyone willing to sell an Atari Jaguar to me for an affordable price?

AndyM1985

I didn’t mean it that way bud...people are thinking I’m trying to heckle them into buying a Jag for cheap, and flipping it for a profit. I did nicely ask if anyone’s willing to help out, but like I said...I guess it is every man for himself. I know loads of people would agree with me that they’ll want a Jag for $90; no denying on that remark.

Yeah, and I'd like a Ferrari for $90 as well, but expecting someone to eat a dick on price so you can get a great deal just isn't realistic.

• Like 2

As hopefully you've seen by now, $90 ain't gonna cut it for a Jaguar system these days. On such an extremely tight budget but want to try some of the best of what the Jaguar has to offer, can buy one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-1040-ST-Computer-in-Box-with-Mouse-POWERS-ON-Untested-Serial-No-A1-1000352/333203799643?hash=item4d947e7e5b:g:yz4AAOSw3jNc4HpM

...and this combo:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/review.htm

Want a cheap way to play Tempest, Iron Soldier, Doom, Rayman, Raiden, a fun karting game and a fun 3D fighter? Here you go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlayStation-PS1-System-Cables-W-2-Controllers-Tested-Working/173846532176?hash=item287a0f9050:g:bVQAAOSwZrtcbGpT:sc:USPSPriority!53920!US!-1&enc=AQADAAAB4KX%2FKt4E1xf3SDqEdBclaYZk8jr1ig%2BcQt1CJ6PlHW0B8k5rlPMHCPM69Gu5jTjIvIwda12J6FBareQzc1qkjqOgj0ut6G0amPt%2FmpOjow40UKLAqo1cfvyww7cpU3PfbCQT121T0Dy9orGRzwqwq4Gwg8FoCMpwxjX2DezrSUro%2BiO%2FEyMZLmbyNwbmCBVemUQ8YtFbhb5sVI1x7Fg%2BlpQh1KqxxMZgsRfRdHae%2Bb123VVr3iIBLmwmzHB8%2B7D6yxudctv1JHsO0jfCg90xRwR3sG3LSKqVEyl4dLRjk3ICq92WMjyo0YcJ1f5aveWBaSTv8uFHZ%2BKxQQRZxvqurPQT8wF57LW7FwVOwNMVN1EADv2qUbCeMb58qjX3uJgCLazxdjQctcB34tV6yiIhnwOMYRyTNvpZDLQcz4ML%2Fgp%2B%2BRKZQ8PUkxqq2wRhwswvG%2FNwTUONobXC49TIdkZqUdwa%2BAmc4EulrIP7pw0ZVVrc7jWpzdN5d2EXjh%2BKYXQzbADPSgKRZMZ5k7rq80GKRGQKlfPCDdXtjm%2FkimAWh%2FEYeUN2UFWpXASXrm8GawWO8%2B6%2FRw3F%2BpOfp70fg06722mIH63uFJuyB3yycbHsGhxtW3z4XA0TnBrWpXlN5h0KAg%3D%3D&checksum=173846532176533e5f37d0cd4144b1d19c0e78ea7392

• Like 4

Like it or not, fair price for a used Jaguar w/controller, hookups and the basic Cybermorph is easily in the $160+ range today and most people aren't going to take a $80 loss just to be nice. Unless the cables are chewed up, the console is scratched like Chucky used it to practice voodoo on and includes (or doesn't) a no name power supply with NES RF connector, you'd be lucky to get even that for $125.

As others have suggested, your best bet is to watch the eBay auctions and find a nice one for $150, if you're lucky. Mark my word though, once SainT's (RetroHQ) SD card is released, the price is only going to continue to climb. That's just around the corner....

With that said, I'm happily accepting working Chucky-owned Jags all day, every day for $125 each lol and all you kids who got one for $25 will never know the retrospective-pain of paying full price in 1993 ;-)

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my first Jaguar around the time AvP released my grandpa paid non-clearance retail price for. Not everyone bought Jag stuff for next to nothing at the time.

As for recent prices, I agree with Clint, a good handful are waiting to see if the SD cart option pans out (I have no doubts), so once that's available, system prices will climb even higher.

• Like 1

I do agree, the price for Jags is insane. But if you really want one, just keep saving your money. I know it will be difficult at times and may take a long time. Take this time to learn everything you can about the Jaguar, because the one you end up with may need repairs. :cool:

• Like 3

Andy if you really care enough to get into Jag, but are on a tight budget; here is my recommendation. Find a broken unit on ebay; they typically go for $60-$100 and have it repaired or repair it. You will have to buy AV cables ($30, and controller or two, and Cybermorph, and maybe even a PSU, so you'll still be at like $150) but it's the only way realistically you will save a few bucks vs just paying $200-$400 for a small starter lot on ebay. Good luck man; hope we see you around here once you get one.

• Like 2

Want a cheap way to play Tempest, Iron Soldier, Doom, Rayman, Raiden, a fun karting game and a fun 3D fighter? Here you go:

Wow! I had no idea Play stations could be so cheap. I sold mine like 15 years ago when I decided to go cartridge only. I am tempted... ;-)

Ah, so now we're all stupid for paying what they cost? Lol

As a self-proclaimed Retro Gamer, I'm surprised you didn't know things work.

I'd like to live in your world where prices only go down with time, but that just ain't gonna be so.

Seriously, guy with ZERO history on this forum rolls in wanting a Jag at around 50% below FMV, throws a fit because he is told the reality of the situation and then gets salty. OP must know nothing about retro gaming if he feels sorry for people who paid above original MSRP for an item. Because that never happens with retro games or consoles. Sorry, chief, but nobody is going to want to hook an unknown noob up.

• Like 6

There is a lot on ebay right now, EXACTLY what he is looking for; for $245.

If you can't muster $245 in cash or credit; then you probably shouldn't be getting into Jaguar. Period, bottom line.

$90 dollars will get you a homebrew and dinner at McDees these days.

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 5

There is a lot on ebay right now, EXACTLY what he is looking for; for $245.

If you can't muster $245 in cash or credit; then you probably shouldn't be getting into Jaguar. Period, bottom line.

$90 dollars will get you a homebrew and dinner and McDees these days.

This ^

Retro gaming with original hardware and software ain't for the faint of heart or the slim of wallet. :)

• Like 2

A system, two controllers, a PSU, some av cables, and cybermorph for $90? That just doesn't seem fair...For that princely sum I'll throw in Tempest 2000, Rayman, and Doom to get you started off right. And you can come over to my house and boink my sister.

Dammit! I'm surfing AA while eating lunch and now I have sandwich spit all over my desk. lol...

But seriously... I probably paid around $100 for my Jag. With a controller, power supply, RF adapter and about 7 games. But that was also about 10 or 15 years ago...

• Like 2

I started my Jag thing about 8 months ago, obviously paid massive cash for it and games.

My wallet hurts badly because I also started a Saturn collection at the same time, so you can imagine how much my pockets hurt.

There's only one way to do it at this point:

Pace yourself.

Have in mind it's 1 - 2 games per month. Have patience.

Unless one is rich, it will take time to appreciate a decent collection.

Search for auctions on ebay, you may save 30% on each game that way.

Eveytime I think about this, I wish I had been into this whole Jag thing 15 years ago when it was just considered garbage.

But then again, would I have cared for it back in the day? I did have a Jag many moons ago... thought it was trash, and lost it, have zero clue where it is (I even had the CD add on). Oh well...

Some things you have to take for what it is.

Maybe one of the reasons we love our Jags now is because it is (or was) hard to obtain. That does make it a bit more special.

Eveytime I think about this, I wish I had been into this whole Jag thing 15 years ago when it was just considered garbage.

And this is the underlying reason for the warm responses these kind of requests generate.

Many of us did buy them when they were considered garbage. I bought four of them, with CD drives, 20+ years ago when KayBee was blowing them out. Everyone here at AtariAge is an Atari fan. A johhny-come-lately that's just discovered this kooky failure of a console, fan or no, is gonna pay market price.

Edited by racerx

If anyone wants to pay market price +25%, I have a sealed Jag with a sealed CD unit. :) Good luck to this prospective buyer...just wait until you have the money. A Jag console is what, the price of a run-of-the-mill Xbox One?

EDIT: You have to keep in mind, the price is not based on performance...it is based on the supply and demand * collectible nature/intangibles. For example, a new Stingray could fetch, say $65k....a perfectly restored SS 454 Chevelle, maybe even $150k. Of course, the Stingray is a much better machine in every quantifiable, technical way...but that's not the point.

Edited by Warp12
  • Like 1

Yeah, and I'd like a Ferrari for $90 as well, but expecting someone to eat a dick on price so you can get a great deal just isn't realistic.

"Eat a Dick" = Take far under market value for their equipment. See also, "Be bent over a barrel".

• Like 1

For example, a new Stingray could fetch, say $65k....a perfectly restored SS 454 Chevelle, maybe even $150k. Of course, the Stingray is a much better machine in every quantifiable, technical way...but that's not the point.

I tried to give the OP credit for not simply dropping a troll post on us but seriously...to continue your car analogy this is like strolling onto StangNet or Corral.net to see if anyone wants to sell a '65 GT350 for $5k because you're super into Fords. :lol:

• Like 1

And this is the underlying reason for the warm responses these kind of requests generate.

Many of us did buy them when they were considered garbage. I bought four of them, with CD drives, 20+ years ago when KayBee was blowing them out. Everyone here at AtariAge is an Atari fan. A johhny-come-lately that's just discovered this kooky failure of a console, fan or no, is gonna pay market price.

Same goes for all retro gaming, really. I hear things like, "lulz that was a $10 game 8 years ago, I'm not paying <market value>!" Well, you shoulda bought that piece 8 years ago then. Go call up your stock broker, tell them what Apple stock was 8 years ago and that you want to buy it at that price, see how that goes. And these are essentially luxury purchases...nobody NEEDS any of this stuff to survive. You can't afford it, it's not the end of the world. Not to mention a few months ago didn't someone con Gaztee into selling a copy of Xenon 2 that the buyer then immediately flipped on EBay? Yet another reason unknown people will not get a hookup deal. But I digress, we've beat this horse to death.

• Like 5

Chalk me up as one of the KayBee people. They were selling them for $25 each, and games were like $5 for cars and $7.50 for CDs. I bought one of everything, and two jags.

• Like 1

I tried to give the OP credit for not simply dropping a troll post on us but seriously...to continue your car analogy this is like strolling onto StangNet or Corral.net to see if anyone wants to sell a '65 GT350 for $5k because you're super into Fords. :lol:

When I was 16, i tried that. Called this dude who had like 10 classic Mustangs, unrestored, in the back of his shop. He wanted $250 for a white 65 coupe w/289... couldn't afford it... haha. But I told him... "But I really want it..." haha...

Might find one that needs repaired for $90, or maybe untested, I got one in February for $109 on eBay it was for parts or repair. It didn't come with any games though. Fixed the power supply and bought a reproduction rayman off esty for $25. Seems to work fine. Of course no guarantee of that result.

Geez man, and how much did you pay for your Jag...$250-300! Fair or not, you would be asking for a Jag right now for $90 if you didnt have one at all today. Sadly, Cybermorph is the only cheapest game out there for the Jag right now unlike all of the other games; plus, not trying to flip it for a profit...Im only trying to own one for a fair price for crying out loud people! Quite surprised how none of you would help a retro gamer out...like always, I guess it is every man for himself to pay for ridiculous prices.

"Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it." I may not like it but $200 is fair if that's what the market demands.

There may be little nostalgia for the Jaguar, in the strictest sense of the word, but a lot of people don't just want to return home again; they want to experience the things they missed out on as kids. The Jaguar might've been a massive failure, but it was the last significant system developed by a well-known company, & it did get a significant amount of coverage in magazines & the like. If someone's already got a Saturn & Panzor Dragoon Saga, what's the next most logical choice? A Jaguar or a 3DO. I'd choose the Jag myself.

• Like 1

To the OP

I have a solution.

You see I am also a cheap ass and didn't want to pay current market prices for a second K model Jaguar unit I was searching for in order to test my games on.

I bought one on eBay for parts or repairs that didnt power on for $90. The power switch was bad. I made a simple make shift repair to that switch and now I can use it for whenever I want to test carts. Although I did do a shitty repair and that power button is kind of sometimesy now, it still works though. Anyway you can easily find them broken and in MOST cases they either just need a new transistor soldered on or a power switch replaced. Pretty easy stuff if you dont mind getting your hands dirty.

As for getting all of these wonderful games bundled with it..... Keep dreaming...er good luck in your search