IGNORED

Anyone willing to sell an Atari Jaguar to me for an affordable price?

AndyM1985

"On Tuesday, November 21, [1995] Atari Corporation ships an opening order to 389 Wal*Mart locations throughout the United States."

For Wal-Mart this was a test to see how well the system sold. If it sold well they would've ordered more for their other stores. For Atari Corp this was something they'd needed for a long time; they'd never been able to rebuild their distribution network after Atari Inc was split up. But it was too late; Atari was running out of money & the PS1 had already been released. Walmart returned most of the systems shipped to them after Christmas.

Thanks for your comment man; really didn’t deserve all of this hate, where literally I feel like blowing $240 for a Jag today is simply ridiculous...to be “realistic.” Sure, was my original asking price bogus; yeah, pretty much should of said $150-180 in the thread. Just know that we all would want a Jag for cheap; still, only in the mid to late 90s. Anyhow, glad you made a pretty sizable Jag collection; you sir, are one of the lucky ones.

Yeh a lot of messages on a request. I was reading this because I have two friends who are trying to get a Jaguar setup together currently to try the Jaguar version of Bubsy. Figured we are looking at around $300 to $350 to get that setup together. Ironic to me is how the Jaguar originally retailed for $250 when it was released. When you take inflation into consideration you are STILL paying less for a Jaguar at $250 since that in 1993 would be actually $442 in today's dollars.

Like all things and all hobbies, watch the sales, the prices vary.

My BEST advice is gaming stores (like Game Over in Texas) like to display non-working Jaguars. Usually a power component is blown plugging in the wrong power supply or something like that. See if you can buy it as-is AFTER you find someone willing to repair a Jaguar and get a quote of what I power repair could be.

Of course, the problem could be something else, so a gamble, but could pay off.

Or just watch the Jaguars that come up for sale, get an idea of a good price, save up for it, and buy one that dips into the market reasonable range. :D

• Like 2

I wonder if we can say that the Jag is unique among consoles because it sells for more now than it did when it was new (not post-crash clearanced). I can't think of any others, honestly, even when the retail price is NOT adjusted for inflation. Maybe Vectrex?

I think it's simple supply and demand. I can get a thriftstore Wii for $30 and is capable of a whole lot more than the Jaguar, because it was a truly mass-market item (and it's "only" 14 years old, not 24 years old). There are plenty of arcade cabinets that are sought-after by a few collectors and fetch high prices. It would not surprise me if demand for Jaguar settles down in a few years and it gets back to semi-normal pricing.

• Like 2

Jaguar prices are nuts. Even if you get a broken one, it's likely to be console only. Then you have to pay to get it fixed, and still need controllers, and a composite/S-video hookup.

Yep; when you DO THE MATH you don't really save much by going this route. Always does feel good to save a dead console; but not really saving you money (or much money for the effort) in the grand scheme of things.

I agree with most everyone else on here. There's certainly nothing wrong with asking, but the price you want to pay really isn't a "good" price now. I finally pulled my like-new, complete-in-box, Jaguar out of storage and sold it to another AtariAge user a couple of weeks ago through ebay. I took stock of what I had and did my research and felt like $300 was a good starting price. I had several people making offers of $200, $250, $300, and telling me that those were "fair" offers, and, while they were fair offers, they weren't good offers for what I had. I knew what I had and the condition and what the average selling price for one like mine was and I wasn't going to end my auction for under my starting bid. Sure enough, I let my auction run the full ten days and, like most auctions, there was a bidding frenzy right at the end and it wound up going for $400. Now, that was quite a bit more than I was expecting to make, but I was more than pleased because the funds went to purchase most of the components for my Atari 1088XEL build.

I don't feel I ripped off the buyer because it was an auction and they could've bowed out at any time. They were perfectly willing to pay what it went for. Had it gone for less, but at least my $300 starting bid, I would've been more than happy. I can certainly understand why people want to pay less, but those of us that sell for more aren't really gouging anyone. Like someone else mentioned, it's all supply and demand and what someone is willing to pay, and right now, for whatever reason, Jaguars are commanding a premium price. We'd be fools not to try and get as much as we can for an item we have for sale. Why would anyone willingly accept any less?

I wish the original poster luck in finding one for something close to what they're wanting to pay. I wish all sellers luck in making as much as they possibly can on their items. That's the way the word works. Good luck to everyone!

I agree with most everyone else on here. There's certainly nothing wrong with asking, but the price you want to pay really isn't a "good" price now. I finally pulled my like-new, complete-in-box, Jaguar out of storage and sold it to another AtariAge user a couple of weeks ago through ebay. I took stock of what I had and did my research and felt like $300 was a good starting price. I had several people making offers of $200, $250, $300, and telling me that those were "fair" offers, and, while they were fair offers, they weren't good offers for what I had. I knew what I had and the condition and what the average selling price for one like mine was and I wasn't going to end my auction for under my starting bid. Sure enough, I let my auction run the full ten days and, like most auctions, there was a bidding frenzy right at the end and it wound up going for $400. Now, that was quite a bit more than I was expecting to make, but I was more than pleased because the funds went to purchase most of the components for my Atari 1088XEL build.

I don't feel I ripped off the buyer because it was an auction and they could've bowed out at any time. They were perfectly willing to pay what it went for. Had it gone for less, but at least my $300 starting bid, I would've been more than happy. I can certainly understand why people want to pay less, but those of us that sell for more aren't really gouging anyone. Like someone else mentioned, it's all supply and demand and what someone is willing to pay, and right now, for whatever reason, Jaguars are commanding a premium price. We'd be fools not to try and get as much as we can for an item we have for sale. Why would anyone willingly accept any less?

I wish the original poster luck in finding one for something close to what they're wanting to pay. I wish all sellers luck in making as much as they possibly can on their items. That's the way the word works. Good luck to everyone!

I've always struggled with selling things at anything beyond what I thought was "reasonable". On the other hand, I would often pay more than market, for something I really wanted.

But, a salesman gave me some good advice...he said, simply, "When the buyer and seller both walk away happy, that is a good deal for both".

I've always struggled with selling things at anything beyond what I thought was "reasonable". On the other hand, I would often pay more than market, for something I really wanted.

But, a salesman gave me some good advice...he said, simply, "When the buyer and seller both walk away happy, that is a good deal for both".

Exactly, and even though many may feel that $400 was too much for my Jaguar setup, looking at past auctions and what Jags in similar condition sold for, I felt $300 was a fair starting price. Anything beyond that was totally out of my control and was driven by those bidding on it. The buyer was happy, and I was extremely happy. It was a fair deal all the way around. Of course, those that lost, or those that didn't even bid because they felt it was priced too high probably don't think so, but, in the end, the buyer and myself are the only two that matter in that respect.

• Like 1

Atari, made a deal with Wal-Mart guaranteed sales, like most product in Wal-Mart it was a Walmart pays when the customer buys, when sales weren't high enough, Walmart returned mostly crushed box product to Atari, this was the last straw in 96, killed any chance Atari had as they had ramped up production for Wal-Mart deal and now had a warehouse of destroyed product.

On the other hand had it worked Atari may of been successful as a 3rd place bargain 64 bit system.

On the subject of the guy trying to get a jag for 99 bucks, say he got this wonderful system for 99 bucks, cybermorph is a frustrating game, and even the worst of atari jag games is in the 50 buck range, no way he will be able to continue collecting for this hard to find game system.

...On the subject of the guy trying to get a jag for 99 bucks, say he got this wonderful system for 99 bucks, cybermorph is a frustrating game, and even the worst of atari jag games is in the 50 buck range, no way he will be able to continue collecting for this hard to find game system.

Maybe not so hard to find as it is to collect for, but the point should be well taken. ;)