IGNORED

Playdate: A new handheld console- with a crank?

Tupin

Can't see myself developing on this thing to be honest. Given that my design style is high-colour psychedelia, a B&W display doesn't really appeal, crank or no crank.

Not even a remake of Sheep in Space? It should mostly be doable as white on black.

I have thought of maybe revisiting Sheep in Space in some way for the Minotaur Arcade series, but if I do it'll likely be something geometrically peculiar in VR rather than anything that'd sit well on a posh Gameboy with a handle.

• Like 2

I like your Yak games but am infinitely more interested in posh gameboy with handle than VR anything. This is relatively cheap and unlikely to make me vomit.

I would think horizontal controls on a Gridrunner type game could work here. Absence of color makes it less Yakly though. Maybe a Terry Cavanaugh game like VVVVVVV or Super Hexagon (not those exactly, but in that style) would work well.

• Like 2

I was initially pretty skeptical about this, but there are some real talented devs behind the games. I'll wait and see. I tend to be picky about they games I play, and the 'only 12 games' in a year thing makes me skeptical. And the crank seems silly and gimicky. That said, I love creative indie games, and the developers behind this have real talent. It'll all depend on what type of games for me, and the price.

Their lead guy needs to learn not to come across like an entitled twit though. That whole conflict thing with the similarly named Playdate event didn't help their image any, and it should have been easily avoided with some common sense.

• Like 1

https://anildash.com/2019/05/22/putting-the-soul-in-console/

I don't know if Playdate will succeed in the market. I don't know what kind of risk it represents for Panic as a company. But I know that people see this cute little device, and are reminded that they used to get excited when they saw cool new technology, instead of wondering how it would warp their reality, or steal their information. Here's hoping for a return to tech that's fun, that's thoughtful, and that's created with a little bit of soul.

This looks cool. At $150 I'll wait for the price to drop as that is a bit much. I'm also not thrilled have to wait a sequential week for new game to be enabled. It should have an "I want it all" option when it first powers up.

Edited by thetick1

Probably never happen because Nintendo... or maybe Rare... would have to get involved, but there needs to be a game featuring Donkey Kong's Dad(?), Cranky Kong.

Also, from my talking to people about it, it seems there are a lot of people who are aware of it, but don't know the name of it. They might need to work on making sure the name is known... not just the GameBoy with a crank gimmick...

The name GameShell looks a lot like GamesHell. I'm tempted by that (building it would be a lot of the fun) but stuff like New BittBoy has similar functionality for a fraction of the cost.

Not sure if you're a programmer/hacker, what do you think of this one, the 32blit?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/291809-32blit-the-open-retro-inspired-handheld-console-for-creators

GameShell, looks like an emulation beast though!.. these low powered handhelds are something completely different, each having their own niche I guess.

WTF? You people bitch at people who need financial help, to realize their products, and at the same time bitch at people, like batari, for not giving you what you demand, right NOW, I wish there were enough "AtariBox Lemmings", that would actually trust someone, with a track record.

I almost don't wan't to finish, what I am working on.

• Like 1

I'll admit, I was only vaguely interested until you said one of the games is from Keita Takahashi- so, now I'm on the mailing list.

As for the "but who's it for?", that's pretty simple- people, probably game collectors, who like unique gaming experiences. Yes, the $150 dollar price tag is steep, but so's a lot of the games I add to my collection these days. What's so different about buying this than buying Swordquest Waterworld, Little Samson, or basically anything for the Sega Saturn & Turbografx CD?

I'm curious to see how this develops- and I'm glad it won't be out until 2020, so I have time to set aside 10 bucks a week in case I decide I want it.

Gameboy, 1989 $90

$150 today is like $73.15 in 1989 bucks.

Just sayin'.

:D

It's not exactly Moore's Law but all electronics have a significant price decline and processing increase.

Well .. except graphing calculators which should be $20 but have been over $100 ever since released in the early 90's.

Edited by thetick1

I think the crank is what has me most interested. Unique control schemes have always intrigued me. I have 10 handhelds with d-pads.

Then again I loved the Wiimote too...because the games that used it effectively were insanely fun (Super Mario Galaxy comes to mind)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Gameboy, 1989 $90

$150 today is like $73.15 in 1989 bucks.

Just sayin'.

:D

Apart from price, there's really no other comparison..

By 1989, Nintendo had a load of great games and studios ready to port.

And the GB did 4 colours grey scale FFS :P

This wouldn't be a thing.. if it wasn't for Teenage Engineering's crank IMO

I'm a fan of Teenage Engineering.. they make cool & clever gadgets that's practical, with some interesting design, this isn't it tho!

It could have been $250, and still have a market... think the iphone/iwatch hipsters in major cities, that have no idea what to do with their money..

To look culturally aware?? watch ;)

Is the Edge article available or a scan online?

Interested in reading it.

https://play.date/edge/

"We didn’t see it coming either. As Panic Inc. co-founder Cabel Sasser leads us through the streets of San Francisco" xD lol

I'm not hating on it, like I said.. it has it's market.. its just not me... peaze!

Edited by gwald