IGNORED

Playdate: A new handheld console- with a crank?

Tupin

It's true there's not much comparison with GameBoy, I was just pointing out that $150 isn't all that much money nowadays. GameBoy was a mass market toy with lots of kid appeal and licensed names. This is more indie art scene, like a game at SXSW.

EDGE magazine doesn't really do online, they're very oldschool that way. I read it in Apple News+ myself. I guess one could get a paper copy thru https://twitter.com/edgeonline/status/1131493752122630145

If you can look past the "Apple hipster" scene, this podcast is like the audio version of the EDGE article, featuring the delightful Cabel Sasser. As has been said, probably not for everyone but a good window into Panic's process. https://daringfireball.net/thetalkshow/2019/05/30/ep-252

• Like 3

In yellow, no less

Yellow is Sunshine

The mission to track down a yellow Arduboy was underway, I had not kept any of the original production batch so I had to find one online and buy it from someone who had still kept theirs! The color is really striking and makes it feel fun.

At least they also posted a shoutout to their obvious inspiration.

• Like 3

It's true there's not much comparison with GameBoy, I was just pointing out that $150 isn't all that much money nowadays.

Indeed- if you started saving now, 10 bucks a week would have you with enough money to do the pre-order by October. It's not a stretch.

And then there's this... didn't take long. lol

https://community.arduboy.com/t/arduboy-crank-mod/7785

My main takeaway from this was 'someone's making a way for my Arduboy to have multiple games' and I'm super into that :-D

It's true there's not much comparison with GameBoy, I was just pointing out that $150 isn't all that much money nowadays

well 150 bucks can get you a 1 trick toy, or a 3d printer, its still a chunk of money if you choose to piss it away

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This is very lightly related, but my daughter has yet again been watching Pokemon based in the 3DS (Ultra Sun/Moon) Alola region anime again on Netflix and something caught my eye, had to bring it here when I saw this post wake up again.  Someone on staff when that was being made seemingly had the same ideas as this guy years earlier, or perhaps they got the idea from there and ran with it (or a huge coincidence.)

Sophocles from the cartoon looks like this.  See something similar? :D  Maybe I'm reading too much and it's a link cable, yet no 2nd 8bit gameboy?

sophocles.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Video said:

Well Nintendo owns gameboy, and mostly Pokemon, so no real surprise a Pokemon character might have a Nintendo console as a pattern. Most Pokemon games have a Nintendo console in your player home after all.

I know I was just pointing out how much it looked like the Playdate and the timing lines up pretty closely too.  Two button system, d-pad, crank.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I wonder how many single player only consoles with interchangeable cartridges have been released.

The Playdate will not be the first one, as several terrible Game Boy competitors in the early 90s, such as the Gamate, didn't feature multiplayer, but it surely be the first single player console in more than 20 years... even the Gizmondo had multiplayer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

I wonder how many single player only consoles with interchangeable cartridges have been released.

The Playdate will not be the first one, as several terrible Game Boy competitors in the early 90s, such as the Gamate, didn't feature multiplayer, but it surely be the first single player console in more than 20 years... even the Gizmondo had multiplayer.

Until the Switch I never really thought much about multiplayer on handheld consoles. The occasional hook up and trade pokemon, or the occasional game on NDS.

Emphasis on massive multiplayer for a handheld that is very niche/unique/weird would probably mean it would do even less than what it already will. 

If you want multiplayer on a handheld you need to buy a Switch. You can get a bunch of cheap multiplayer games that don't require more than one joycon.

3 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

This doesn’t have cartridges.

And what this guy said. Playdate is digital. I think every console also being a dev kit is cool.

• Like 1

I meant interchangeable games, of course.

And no, I never said I wanted multiplayer for a handheld. I only said it was interesting that no game will have multiplayer, that's all.

Maybe comparing the Playdate to the Gizmondo was not a good idea after all, but I was trying to highlight how original was to totally discard multiplayer. But maybe they add some multiplayer game later, who knows.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 1