IGNORED

Playdate: A new handheld console- with a crank?

Tupin

1 minute ago, Hwlngmad said:

Yeah, the screen size of the Arduboy FX is damn small.  But, gotta admit it is kind cool, especially at $59 with shipping.

Yeah wish they had some in stock.

I really want to know how the web browser game dev will work for playdate.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I do think the $150 and $180 ranges will make it niche too. Closer to $100 would have been better.

I have no problems with the black and white screen as long as it is good quality.

The $179 plus shipping is a little too much imo.  Also, you could be right regarding the screen as the guys over at the Completely Unnecessary podcast explained, what they are trying to do with the screen should be good enough "in theory".  Still, while I am a little bit interested, I need a lot more information and/or videos first before I would seriously consider it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MrBeefy said:

Yeah wish they had some in stock.

I really want to know how the web browser game dev will work for playdate.

Game dev seems to be a growing trend.  I know the Switch is getting a game that allows for (supposedly) fairly simple game creation.  This is in addition to what the Play Date, Aruboy, and Pico-8 (to some degree) have.  Definitely it will be interesting to see what the Play Date has for sure.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hwlngmad said:

The $179 plus shipping is a little too much imo.  Also, you could be right regarding the screen as the guys over at the Completely Unnecessary podcast explained, what they are trying to do with the screen should be good enough "in theory".  Still, while I am a little bit interested, I need a lot more information and/or videos first before I would seriously consider it.

Yeah totally get that. I would like to see more before I drop $180 on it. An Arduboy at $59 is an easier impulse even if i find it less interesting.

• Like 5

Just now, Hwlngmad said:

Game dev seems to be a growing trend.  I know the Switch is getting a game that allows for (supposedly) fairly simple game creation.  This is in addition to what the Play Date, Aruboy, and Pico-8 (to some degree) have.  Definitely it will be interesting to see what the Play Date has for sure.

Yeah from what little I have seen of the Switch game it looks good.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

it's also worth pointing out that, in some ways, the project seems more like a parody of a console, like an experimental project created on the basis of "create a new console that works different to the rest".

To be fair, this has been exactly my impression of the console from the get go. Then again I am also the biggest fan of the game.com and R-Zone on here ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never really know what to think of this thing. Part of me wants it. The best thing they could do for me is probably produce it rather than ask for pre orders. I most likely would have impulse bought on pay day if I knew in a week I was going to get it. 

Companies like Atari (but let's be honest, plenty of other guilty parties here) have burned the idea of hardware pre orders for me. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

Realistically, they will be hard pressed to fund manufacturing without preorders. I’m amazed they’ve gotten this far without taking money. Big achievement in the crowdfunding economy.

I think it goes to show you if you have a plan you don't need to crowdfund. It also means they believe in it enough that instead of risking your money they are risking their own.

• Like 4

Interestingly, some of the most important Playdate specs are simliar to the Dreamcast (both have 16MB of RAM, but the Dreamcast runs at 200MHz and the Playdate at 180MHz), even if the Dreamcast has a VRAM and other chips, in addition to colors and resolution.

Panic's console should be able to make 3D pretty fluid with that resolution, but I don't know if we'll see it. Everything is in 2D for now. They probably believe that making 3D games is not worth it at such a low resolution.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

Same deal with the Evercade, really. It’s nice to see that approach is still feasible.

Yeah it is nice to see these new companies not rely on blowing other people's money. Makes me want to support them more and the Vs is looking good too.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, IntelliMission said:

Interestingly, some of the most important Playdate specs are simliar to the Dreamcast (both have 16MB of RAM, but the Dreamcast runs at 200MHz and the Playdate at 180MHz), even if the Dreamcast has a VRAM and other chips, in addition to colors and resolution.

Panic's console should be able to make 3D pretty fluid with that resolution, but I don't know if we'll see it. Everything is in 2D for now. They probably believe that making 3D games is not worth it at such a low resolution.

Yeah that doesn't seem to be what they care about, but not something they are against.

They come across as more just wanting neat and quirky games than directly saying we only want this and this. I think directly saying we don't want "X" on this will hinder the creativity. This is more like here is the hardware and here is a weird crank (that you aren't forced to use). 

It would be fun to operate a gattling gun with the crank in some type of shooter. :P

• Like 4

What I'm wondering about but it would be quite stupid if they didn't address it, is how it is possible and comfortable to use both the crank and the d-pad at the same time for instance (typically for some gatling shooting ;) ). The system looks very small and light. The dock may give extra stability but another question arises. Since it's just locked in place with a magnet, it'd better be strong so that the system doesn't move if you're cranking like crazy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

What I'm wondering about but it would be quite stupid if they didn't address it, is how it is possible and comfortable to use both the crank and the d-pad at the same time for instance (typically for some gatling shooting ;) ). The system looks very small and light. The dock may give extra stability but another question arises. Since it's just locked in place with a magnet, it'd better be strong so that the system doesn't move if you're cranking like crazy.

I can see a few scenarios I suppose. One is it's auto aim and you just have to maintain the right shooting (turning) cadence to not overheat the gun, and maybe occasionally press something else to reload. In any case, I think overall you're spot on and the crank gimmick will mostly have to be used in isolation. It's just one of many quirks/questions with the system that we won't really know for sure about until it gets out in the wild.

Frankly, I suspect the vast majority of usage will simply be traditional d-pad and buttons, so I think a lot of people who are expecting the limitations to push developer innovation will ultimately be let down by limitations on the user side. 

• Like 6

On 6/11/2021 at 2:27 AM, roots.genoa said:

That will be interesting to see how it is used. Maybe you just have to come to a complete stop when using your gattaling gun. Probably best to not run and gun with one of those. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Very unique and interesting device but looks like the screen has no backlight. 

That is unacceptable for me for a $200 handheld in 2021 to not be backlit.

It has no backlight. And to be fair, that hasn't been acceptable in a portable device for a lot longer than 2021.

What's interesting is that for whatever reason this device is appealing to people who normally wouldn't be interested in such devices. The hook(s) they have are working. However, that's a double-edged sword I think. While that audience may be intrigued by it, I also don't think they can appreciate how some of the purposeful design decisions may affect the actual user experience. In other words, things like the lack of a backlight (as just one example) can have the potential for real frustration in actual usage, but it's not something the average person can appreciate because they haven't had exposure to such devices in a very long time, if ever.

I suspect this may be one of those devices that does well out of the gate, but once it's out in the real world and people actually use the thing (and the reviews hit), the various quirks will irritate and sales will slow to a crawl. We'll see, though.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I think that song has approximately 99% too much testosterone for this console ? 

Yeah, yeah, but what  about the lyrics?

Losing your mind
Losing your mind
It's blurring
It's fading
Your soul's on fire
It's black and white

I mean, if you go ironic, why not go full ironic and use this awesome chorus in the next commercial. ?

My prediction about the review is that they will score it with a 11/10 and say things like "I feel stupid while using the crank, but that's the point, the console is trying to make me smile while parodying complicated controllers".
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1