Jump to content
Tupin

Playdate: A new handheld console- with a crank?

Recommended Posts

You'll probably be able to get someone's hand-me-down once they've played through the first season of games. It's a little unusual how they're dropping the games -- your particular "season" starts when you receive and activate the unit, and they drop the software on a weekly basis from there. Maybe there will be a time-travel cheat, because some people will feel a little fear of missing out if they can't talk about the games with others. 

 

Panic has a software day job so it's not like they're going out of business while this is in production hell. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Cool. Glad to know if I order one today when I could expect to get it. With that long of wait I can hold off for now.

 

This just popped up in my feed and I haven't watched it yet. Nice to see the company being able to get out units to people for hands on impressions.

 

What is the aspect ratio of the screen? Is it 16:9?  I think since its not centered its throwing me off a bit lol.   I think $179.99 is a good price for something like that.  Really like how the company has presented the device, hope it turns out great. 

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

What is the aspect ratio of the screen? Is it 16:9?  I think since its not centered its throwing me off a bit lol.   I think $179.99 is a good price for something like that.  Really like how the company has presented the device, hope it turns out great. 

It seems super overpriced to me, but again, people are buying it in droves, so good on them.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It seems super overpriced to me, but again, people are buying it in droves, so good on them.

I'm also finally getting an idea how the crank is being utilized.  Its basically acting like an analog input which is kinda cool.   Very interesting to see it used on a side scroller game.   Some pretty neat concepts going on there.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

You'll probably be able to get someone's hand-me-down once they've played through the first season of games. It's a little unusual how they're dropping the games -- your particular "season" starts when you receive and activate the unit, and they drop the software on a weekly basis from there. Maybe there will be a time-travel cheat, because some people will feel a little fear of missing out if they can't talk about the games with others. 

 

Panic has a software day job so it's not like they're going out of business while this is in production hell. 

That's a good point. I think the weekly drop would be neat, but it would be nice to discuss with others. I still need to get the Untitled Goose game. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

13 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

What is the aspect ratio of the screen? Is it 16:9?  I think since its not centered its throwing me off a bit lol.   I think $179.99 is a good price for something like that.  Really like how the company has presented the device, hope it turns out great. 

This is what they have listed. Screenshot_20211221-122630_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5cd2acb8340a66366a86a2d1d126d566.jpg

It is basically a fancy or successor to the Game and Watches than the Game Boy. What I like about them us they are honest about what their product is. They aren't trying to act like it is the second coming of the GB while showing stuff that is more inline with it being a cute gaming toy.

 

They seem to have solid directions and plans. I think it will be a success in terms of what they hope to achieve. If you are expecting it to do something like a GB, DS, or typical handheld then it won't be a success. This is where their transparent honestly is helpful in letting consumers know what to expect and it is nice.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It seems super overpriced to me, but again, people are buying it in droves, so good on them.

I think this is where their communication about what the product is goes in their favor. It is totally a niche product with no guarantee of a season 2 of games. It's more of if you want a cute niche console with a weird crank that's what we have.

 

I think it is expensive for what it gives, but I know exactly what I'm getting with zero false promises about what might never come. So then it is a matter of whether I think it being a cute niche toy is worth it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

 

This is what they have listed. 
 

It is basically a fancy or successor to the Game and Watches than the Game Boy. What I like about them us they are honest about what their product is. They aren't trying to act like it is the second coming of the GB while showing stuff that is more inline with it being a cute gaming toy.

 

They seem to have solid directions and plans. I think it will be a success in terms of what they hope to achieve. If you are expecting it to do something like a GB, DS, or typical handheld then it won't be a success. This is where their transparent honestly is helpful in letting consumers know what to expect and it is nice.

400X240 would make it a 15:9 aspect ratio.   Just slightly more narrow than 16:9.    Yep, a cool gaming gadget is the perfect description of it.  Something you just have around and turn on for like a couple minutes of play.  Jeff calling it a "High End Fidget Spinner" is pretty accurate. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I think this is where their communication about what the product is goes in their favor. It is totally a niche product with no guarantee of a season 2 of games. It's more of if you want a cute niche console with a weird crank that's what we have.

 

I think it is expensive for what it gives, but I know exactly what I'm getting with zero false promises about what might never come. So then it is a matter of whether I think it being a cute niche toy is worth it.

Oh, absolutely. I think there's zero wrong with a product like this, and they indeed are quite clear about its mission/goals, and that's absolutely resonated (for reasons that are still a bit mysterious, but nevertheless, it's a fact it's a big hit). I was just commenting on what I think it's worth. I feel it's a $99 product at best given the modest tech. The cost of something like the Analogue Pocket or Evercade makes far more sense from a pricing standpoint as a point of comparison. I suspect that if they realized how much the demand would be, Playdate would have recalculated the pricing based on the economies of scale and lowered their MSRP by at least $50. Again, though, they DIDN'T HAVE TO, which is ultimately what matters. When you can sell more than you can produce for at least the next 12 months, you're doing something right. Hopefully they use that extra profit to really support the system in the way their supporters deserve. As I said previously, once it becomes generally available, I'm sure I'll join the masses in experimenting with it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

I imagine certain CEO tweeting this and getting destroyed:

 

 

I think it’s a case study in how two different companies with similar products went in two totally different directions in regards to communication. Those choices have had consequences. And I’m pumped for Cornhole on Playdate! Crank the dial to lift the bag, baby. I’m sure it’ll happen eventually.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s really cool — I would enjoy using the crank to swivel the snowboard around. Giles worked on some great N64 games including 1080 snowboarding, Starfox, and Mario 64. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

That’s really cool — I would enjoy using the crank to swivel the snowboard around. Giles worked on some great N64 games including 1080 snowboarding, Starfox, and Mario 64. 

It'd be a unique way to use the PlayDate controls, for sure. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

It'd be a unique way to use the PlayDate controls, for sure. :)

Did you mean a cool and unique™️ way? 🤨

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Did you mean a cool and unique™️ way? 🤨

Definitely!  That reminds me that my kiddos years ago used to watch PBS' Curious George tv show; in it was a character named 'Mr. Glass' (voiced by Rob Paulsen).  His catchphrase is 'that's unique!'

 

image.png.be9006b76223a46ec50e699e73bb3f32.png

 

Sorry for the off-topic comment but it made me remember.  :)

 

The vid by Giles makes me think, though, that if we're seeing demos like that, there will be some pretty neat games to check out down the line.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, digdugnate said:

the tweet might be deleted later, but if it's still up, check this out!

 

 

I find the comments interesting about how excited people are for games like this and this game in particular. I see a nice looking, decently animated, and somewhat slow game that's certainly charming, but nothing I could see myself going gaga over. Again, there's truly something odd about this platform and how much it excites people. It's truly a once-in-a-lifetime platform in terms of unexpected appeal.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2021 at 6:32 PM, jerseystyle said:

I think it’s a case study in how two different companies with similar products went in two totally different directions in regards to communication. Those choices have had consequences. And I’m pumped for Cornhole on Playdate! Crank the dial to lift the bag, baby. I’m sure it’ll happen eventually.

Hillbilly golf would be better with the crank than Cornhole, in my opinion. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, digdugnate said:

the tweet might be deleted later, but if it's still up, check this out!

 

 

That's so cool! I'm really curious to see what people keep coming up with.

7 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I find the comments interesting about how excited people are for games like this and this game in particular. I see a nice looking, decently animated, and somewhat slow game that's certainly charming, but nothing I could see myself going gaga over. Again, there's truly something odd about this platform and how much it excites people. It's truly a once-in-a-lifetime platform in terms of unexpected appeal.

Remove the crank and I don't think I would find this as cool. Its leaning into the quirkiness that has people excited would be my best guess. It's different but simple. It isn't like the Homer car.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Remove the crank and I don't think I would find this as cool. Its leaning into the quirkiness that has people excited would be my best guess.

I agree.  The crank makes it stand out compared to other handhelds.  It really is a unique feature.  I like it and I look forward to seeing how the different games will use the crank.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

I agree.  The crank makes it stand out compared to other handhelds.  It really is a unique feature.  I like it and I look forward to seeing how the different games will use the crank.

Me too. It’s something different and is leveraged pretty well in most of the games I’ve seen. And the price with games included is low enough for me to dip into it without much issue. So, checks my boxes for sure. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered just 24 hours after pre-orders launched. I just checked and that's Group 4. 😧

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...