IGNORED

Posting Youtube links broken?

Inky

I never used to have problems posting a link to Youtube videos. I would paste the link, and it would embed the video.

Now, I have to use the [youtube] [/youtube] tags

and even that doesn't always work.

It seems YouTube has various different URL schemes they use now, and some of them are newer relative to the age of this forum software. The forum is going to be upgraded very soon now and these should all work again properly after the upgrade (and also be easier to keep up to date).

..Al

• Like 1

I think I figured it out.. if you enable BBCode mode post-31-0-93763200-1558621537.jpg, it automagically places it in URL format.

e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm_W_OKX7Vo

Once you turn off BBCode mode you can see what it's doing.

post-31-0-28580800-1558621581_thumb.jpg

So for now the solution is to just turn off that mode (which is usually my default anyway) and just paste the plain youtube URL in, and that should embed it fine.

I usually paste URLs directly as well -- I never use the BBCode for that (and BBCode is going away in the new forum). Still doesn't work many times. I can easily adjust the BBCode, though, so it transmogrifies the URL into something YouTube recognizes. Although it's not a priority since this forum will be upgraded soon.

..Al

• Like 1

Like Albert said, this crusty old forum software only recognizes youtube.com. If you click on Share at YouTube under a video, you'll get the newer youtu.be version of the address and the forum software won't put the embed tags around it.

That doesn't appear to be true.. here's a video shared using the youtu.be format. Again, simply turn off the bbcode then paste in your video link (at least for now until Al updates)

https://youtu.be/u9O8qHtxpZo

Last time I tried that, the forum software didn't display anything. I always switch modes to be sure the code is correct. When did that start working?

• 10 months later...

How To Embed A YouTube Video in AtariAge

Use this tool, the copy & paste the video at the right to the post in the forum:

https://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_youtubeiframe

- Edit the size and the code of the video. For size: width="600" height="338" is Ok.

- Then at the right, where the video shows-up: right button in the white, "select all", then again right button, "Copy". Then paste it in the forum.