IGNORED

OUYA servers shutting down June 25th, 2019

I rooted my Ouya last night. I had a choice of two servers. Tried one and Discovery came up. I tried downloading Towerfall, which stated "in queue" which I wasn't sure if there was an issue or not. Switched servers (it's a matter of copying a file to the root in the Install folder, but had to scour the house for a micro USB cable) and it downloaded. Unfortunately it's not unlocked but now my Play menu won't open. I can get to my games through Discover, though, so it's probably that file I need to redo.

Other than that hiccup, it was neat seeing new and old things on the market. The images show up for the games on the description page. I queued up "That Dragon, Cancer" and "Saturday Morning RPG" and put the Ouya to sleep as my youngest kids were getting too anxious to play and it was getting late. I bought SMRPG, so we'll see if that unlocks or not.

Well, I fixed the problem-it was the Properties file.  If any of you attempt this, use the link for Devin's server and get the file he has there.  By manually typing it with the instructions on the cweskie.de site, there must have been something amiss that the instructions.  I also skipped a part in the XPosed installer where I had to activate it.  It was a bit hard to concentrate with an audience lobbing questions at me the whole time.

So now I have my Play menu back along with my purchased games that "phoned home" working again.

Viva la Ouya!

• Like 1

I don’t know much about the finer details of the ouya. For people with the first edition and controller, can you use other controllers such as the Wii U Pro, PS3 dual shock, etc. ? If not, I wonder if the new network can download a firmware patch to allow other similar controllers more plentiful than the revised ouya one and maybe allow a WiFi usb dongle that provides better WiFi. 

It was a sad day post PSX/N64 when games were no longer released complete and tested and an always on internet connection was not needed to play, nor "own" your software you purchased.  No server will ever go down that stops me playing what I paid for.  Everything these days, regardless of how much you pay, seems more than technically a few year rental fee.

On 2/23/2020 at 7:10 PM, Stephen said:

It was a sad day post PSX/N64 when games were no longer released complete and tested and an always on internet connection was not needed to play, nor "own" your software you purchased.  No server will ever go down that stops me playing what I paid for.  Everything these days, regardless of how much you pay, seems more than technically a few year rental fee.

I'd say post PS2/Gamecube/Dreamcast/Xbox and maybe a caveat for Wii in regards to needing to be online for updates on games. Save for maybe online connectivity, games on those systems didn't get patches that I'm aware of.

But yeah, it IS sad. The Ouya does have some great games and it sucks that they broke after the servers went down. I'm thankful there's a group out there that brought it back to life. I think they even have instructions on how to run your own personal server to keep the cube going. Unfortunately I don't think the same will happen with the "big" systems, so titles like "After Burner Climax" will be lost to future game players.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gamemoose said:

Unfortunately I don't think the same will happen with the "big" systems, so titles like "After Burner Climax" will be lost to future game players.

Maybe, maybe not. But it is 100% crystal clear that gamers do not want to play today's games in the future. Gamers support developers releasing incomplete games and excessive DLC with a religious fervor. Gamers will not purchase consoles that do not have internet connectivity for updates and reliance on servers for DRM checks. If a game has no DLC or DRM it is incomplete and unworthy. Ask any gamer, they'll mehh-you away. Dismiss you.

10 hours ago, Gamemoose said:

Unfortunately I don't think the same will happen with the "big" systems, so titles like "After Burner Climax" will be lost to future game players.

Not necessarily. I think for the big systems it's just a matter of time.

The Xbox 360 for instance can be modded. You can obtain After Burner Climax (and pretty much anything else) by going that route.

It sucks that it can't be obtained the "legal" way, but when it comes to archiving and preservation, I don't think that really matters for people that really want some of these games.

• 1 month later...

for those not aware there are a great number of indeviduals (including me) that are actively working to preserve this systems games.  for those interested, check this out:

https://ouya.world/t/how-to-bypass-account-login-firmware-update-page/15

https://www.s-config.com/root-the-ouya-google-play/

https://cweiske.de/tagebuch/ouya-purchases.htm

http://ouya.cweiske.de/

https://discord.gg/tF9B4v

Edited by omf
  • Like 2