IGNORED

Atari 2600s and the RetroTink

StephenJ

Hey everybody,

This is a continuation (of sorts) of a previous thread I started in December last year. I’m cutting out allot of the story to make this as short as possible.

I have three SVideo-modded Atari 2600’s. All three work perfectly when plugged into the SVideo input of my older LED TV and CRT TV. However, when they are plugged into the RetroTink, to use on my more-modern LED TV (that only has HDMI inputs), the image starts to show horizontal waving…after about 3-5 minutes or so. It happens with all three 2600’s. Note: Two of my Atari 2600s have AV mods from [Electronic Sentimentalities] and the other has the mod from [Longhorn Engineer].

As a shot-in-the-dark, I decided to try sending the S-Video output from the 2600’s into the input of a VCR, and then from the VCR’s S-Video output to the RetroTink. It worked great for all three 2600’s…no waving images at all.
I tried doing the same using a DVD Recorder. Again, it worked perfectly for all three 2600’s and on all extra outputs on this device.

I’m relieved that I found a solution to the problem, but it would be great if I didn’t have to use devices as large as a VCR or DVD Recorder to play my 2600’s.

Questions are…

- What is happening to the video signal, when going through the VCR and DVD recorder, that makes it more compatible for the Retrotink?

- Would this also happen when going through other AV processing devices that are smaller...like maybe a powered SVideo Splitter?

For the record, I like the RetroTink very much and it works great with all of my other Retro systems.

Thanks,

StephenJ

PS: In case you were wondering...I don't use the DVD Recorder's HD output, and bypass the Retrotink, because the image is far too dark and blurry.

Wonder how the UAV would fair then? I know on a 7800 the UAV is fully compatible with the retrotink as many of my clients can attest to. But I've never used the UAV in a 2600 and I don't use a Tink2x myself so would need to hear from someone else on that.

Problem Solved!!

To make a long story short, I was able to determine that it was the Luma output of the S Video that was causing the image-waving problem. I found that putting a 100 ohm resistor in series on the Luma wire (internally) corrected the problem on all three of my 2600's. Now I can connect directly to the Retrotink, without having to go through a VCR or DVD recorder...and that's great!

Thanks,

StephenJ

• Like 1