IGNORED

Trying to make some PoKEY music!

VinsCool

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:35 PM, rensoup said:

I meant one update per frame... @50 or 60, still good!

Since you seem to get  a lot of inspiration from japanese game companies... I'm just going to mention Konami ?

It's not my intention to interfere VinsCool's nice Thread, but as it seems, you still have to learn a lot. Particulary that SID is build wit the the knowledge of EXISITNG sound solutions back in that time.

The "Filter" of POKEY is definitely a direct modulation processing feature. The creator of the SID Chip never named special devices, but he named them by the flaws. 

The programming speed of POKEY isn't the real problem. It's the type of programming.

I have to admit that I failed to get why particular Atari "Fans" like special POKEY tuning. That's why I started to  build POKEY edits without taking care ;) .

The real weird part is that you have to "detune" everything in RMT , if you want to get something like "music" .

Sid styles? Well, POKEY styles that can sound like SID have been possible BEFORE SID was built.

The Intro you see in the Video could run on an 800 from 1979.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, emkay said:

It's not my intention to interfere VinsCool's nice Thread, but as it seems, you still have to learn a lot.

But you couldn't help it huh ?... I never cared about sound programming and never will (unfortunately...)

Well good to learn at least that Pokey is such a capable chip, I used to think it was a pile of crap...

That tune does indeed sound pretty good!

21 minutes ago, emkay said:

Fitting to SID Styles :D

Thanks VinsCool for this great template.

This is nice! But half of the song is wrong now :|
Assuming that my instruments were swapped, the ones that were used to compensate an octave using no SID filter makes the whole thing offtune by an octave when these notes are reached.

Mind you share your modified .rmt? I really do like how the pulse width is handled otherwise.

Also, this is the original song, for reference: 

5 minutes ago, VinsCool said:

This is nice! But half of the song is wrong now :|
Assuming that my instruments were swapped, the ones that were used to compensate an octave using no SID filter makes the whole thing offtune by an octave when these notes are reached.

Mind you share your modified .rmt? I really do like how the pulse width is handled otherwise.

Also, this is the original song, for reference: 

Why is that "original" that noisy?

Btw: I wrote something into the description of the YT Video. I don't think the tune is wrong. Of course It is simply possible to play lower notes with POKEY. But this time it fits very well.

For me it is hard to create "new music" , but I'm really aware of what POKEY can do. Your Edit is a full strike :D

9 minutes ago, emkay said:

Why is that "original" that noisy?

This is how it is, given that it should run on a Fairchild Channel F. ;)

My cover is basically taking the composition and port it to RMT. I know my ears are not 100% pitch perfect but I'm pretty sure I pretty accurately transcribed it.

The reason why I used 2 specific instruments (The Distortion A SID filter and the normal Distortion A) was to get the full range of notes in the lead.
C-1 using the filter is actually an octave higher than using no filter, so I needed to compensate that in a way.

The only "special" effect I did was using another special filter instrument to create a phasing effect that sounded almost like ring modulation at certain sustained parts.

Your changes are pretty cool, but sadly it turned a complete section wrong. It even has a sustaining note at the end of the loop that shouldn't have been there.
Either way, some of your sounds were cool.

Edited by VinsCool

2 minutes ago, VinsCool said:

This is how it is, given that it should run on a Fairchild Channel F. ;)

My cover is basically taking the composition and port it to RMT. I know my ears are not 100% pitch perfect but I'm pretty sure I pretty accurately transcribed it.

The reason why I used 2 specific instruments (The Distortion A SID filter and the normal Distortion A) was to get the full range of notes in the lead.
C-1 using the filter is actually an octave higher than using no filter, so I needed to compensate that in a way.

The only "special" effect I did was using another special filter instrument to create a phasing effect that sounded almost like ring modulation at certain sustained parts.

Your changes are pretty cool, but sadly it turned a complete section wrong. It even has a sustaining note at the end of the loop that shouldn't have been there.
Either way, some of your sounds were cool.

I could change the instruments to get an octave lower.

This edit is "complete" . Perhaps you miss the original , but it is something new now.

I wished I could do such notations myself. The tune has become something "original" for POKEY. And that was MY goal.

Btw. Have you ever listened to the tune of "Plastron". It is some very original tune on the POKEY. Is it?

1 minute ago, emkay said:

The tune has become something "original" for POKEY. And that was MY goal.

I see.

2 minutes ago, emkay said:

Btw. Have you ever listened to the tune of "Plastron". It is some very original tune on the POKEY. Is it?

If it's the song by Richard Munns I did yes. No idea if it was based on another song but it was pretty good.

4 minutes ago, emkay said:

Check the tune "One Man and his Droid" on the C64.

I've known that one for years and honestly I don't thing it bears much resemblance, except for some parts maybe.

Anyway, we're getting a little carried over now :D

I do plan to make more PoKEY songs, hopefully some original ones that I have been working on but left unfinished.

Just now, VinsCool said:

I've known that one for years and honestly I don't thing it bears much resemblance, except for some parts maybe.

Anyway, we're getting a little carried over now :D

I do plan to make more PoKEY songs, hopefully some original ones that I have been working on but left unfinished.

Check the tunes closer. They have a lot similarities.

It's when someone starts to convert a tune from the C64. He will quickly end up in the lower range of notes. If the creator of the Atari tune known about the real modulation features, the tunes would have been almost the same.

The tune of Plastron misses any portamento and plays repeating instruments ever note, and it plays lower in the octave, because 8 bits get to loose in higher notes. The ending arrangement made something out of it.

And, yes "original" is the goal. Some real "original" POKEY tunes exist. Just like the "Red Max" Tune by David Whittaker. But, as soon as a tune just "reminds of an other tune" , the goal is missed. SID tunes mostly resemble something original, or were originals themselves, while 99,9999999999999999999999% of POKEY tunes remind of something.   

• Thanks 1

As it seems, you are very good in "transposing" music to fit to POKEY.

How about some 3 channel SIDs to convert to POKEY , and I do the "special" stuff ?

I'd show you what I'm doing, but will you understand it?

Actually, I'm doing similar stuff for about 30 Years with a gap of 12 years (since RMT appeared) . Till today the aimed  "clientele" doesn't understand a bit of that. Possibly , things might change, if they like the results. But I'm not good at porting Notes for their likes .

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, emkay said:

What do you think about this one ? A lot volume changes, of course some instruments player an octave lower. 

That is a lot better! Nice!
May I ask you the .rmt module? I'm genuinely interested to see what you did :)

23 hours ago, VinsCool said:

That is a lot better! Nice!
May I ask you the .rmt module? I'm genuinely interested to see what you did :)

Later. But it's just simple physics ;) . It's just a horrible task to get there with the available software.

Don't get it personally, but I'm picky with that stuff meanwhile. The interesting part there that the little bit that got transported to some "special" people didn't get the right response, if you understand. Things could be so easy, if they listened to me.

For now just have fun to see what's possible.

As the note "F3#" sounds more like a Falsetto that is more out of the room than in the tune.

So here is a de-yell edit for that note.

And, as I wrote, if you provide me a good SID conversion, I'll show you what I'm doing within the RMT limits :D 

• Like 1

VinsCool

Do you know this one? I always wanted to do this tune on the Atari, because it is very slow and allows a lot time to manipulate the generators. 

Particular the long played synths allow a lot "morphing" programming on the  envelope. 

Would this be a challenge?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emkay said:

VinsCool

Do you know this one? I always wanted to do this tune on the Atari, because it is very slow and allows a lot time to manipulate the generators. 

Particular the long played synths allow a lot "morphing" programming on the  envelope. 

Would this be a challenge?

Sounds pretty interesting.

I currently am busy on different projects that are not on Atari but I'll consider this one.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey there.
Long time no see.

I've done some more tunes, very recently, haven't been around as much as I wanted with life in the way, but I thought you would still be interested to hear some of my most recent stuff :)

Bouncy Bouncer.rmt Bouncy Bouncer.xex Amberstar - Ode to Schnism.rmt Amberstar - Ode to Schnism.xex

• Like 4