IGNORED

Trying to make some PoKEY music!

VinsCool

1 hour ago, Sugarland said:

Recognize the second tune from somewhere but can't recall. From where did it come?

It's part of the Amberstar soundtrack. My cover was based on the Atari ST version :)
(Skip to tune 9 for it)

8 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Hey there.
Long time no see.

I've done some more tunes, very recently, haven't been around as much as I wanted with life in the way, but I thought you would still be interested to hear some of my most recent stuff :)

Bouncy Bouncer.rmt 3.65 kB · 1 download Bouncy Bouncer.xex 5.81 kB · 2 downloads Amberstar - Ode to Schnism.rmt 4.29 kB · 2 downloads Amberstar - Ode to Schnism.xex 6.51 kB · 2 downloads

Is this a remake of an AMIGA MOD file?

Nice arrangement btw.

As it is a medieval tune, it might need medieval sounds.

So I played a little with it.

Real 4 channels and playing with wave forms

• Like 3

7 hours ago, emkay said:

Is this a remake of an AMIGA MOD file?

Nice arrangement btw.

As it is a medieval tune, it might need medieval sounds.

So I played a little with it.

Real 4 channels and playing with wave forms

That's a nice edit!

Can you share your edited module? I would really like to see what you did to achieve these sounds.

Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sugarland said:

I like your edit a LOT!! Yes it's likely an Amiga MOD that I haven't heard in ~30 years. Can't recall from where I originally heard it, but it's a fun tune.

Thanks. But without the masterly prepared RMT file by VinsCool it wouldn't be there.

You might know that I always offered some cooperation with musicians. POKEY really is the most capable chip in the Atari and still needs to be mastered :D 

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Hey everyone. it's been a while since I posted here.

Here's some new POKEY I did, using some new tricks to make interesting sounds, special thanks to emkay.

Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time (Atari PoKEY Cover)
RMT and XEX attached to the post :)

Corridors of Time.zip 5.52 kB · 5 downloads

Seems someone understood my intentions ;)

Do you recognize the difference in the main melodic part?

And, btw. m I like to have morphing synths in slow tunes . :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Here's some new POKEY I did, using some new tricks to make interesting sounds, special thanks to emkay.

Really great work! 

Well done, mate??!

Did you ever think about expanding your skills on FOFT´s new, cool PokeyMax (QuadPokey /DualSID or, QuadPokey/Covox/DualYM2149)? 

I guess, it could be a "Paradise Heaven" for sound programmers ?.....

Gtx.,

andY

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andymanone said:

Really great work! 

Well done, mate??!

Did you ever think about expanding your skills on FOFT´s new, cool PokeyMax (QuadPokey /DualSID or, QuadPokey/Covox/DualYM2149)? 

I guess, it could be a "Paradise Heaven" for sound programmers ?.....

Gtx.,

andY

Thanks!
This is something I don't know for now, but it seems really damn cool!

4 hours ago, emkay said:

Seems someone understood my intentions ;)

Do you recognize the difference in the main melodic part?

And, btw. m I like to have morphing synths in slow tunes . :D

Sounds nice, the slower tempo gives a more mystical ambiance

2 hours ago, ivop said:

After Lufia, Chrono Trigger is my favorite SNES RPG. Sounds great!

Thanks! Some of the best musics!

By the way, thanks to the person who is adding my tunes to ASMA! This is so cool to see!

6 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Sounds nice, the slower tempo gives a more mystical ambiance

That, and the pulses are not formed randonly. 

The timing programming using the pulses this way really pushes the sound quality of POKEY. 

I'm asking for a support in a tracker for decades now. 

6 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Thanks! Some of the best musics!

I didn't know it before, just your edit. Listening to it on YouTube, I recognized the sound is typical japanese style. 

Which means that the short "arpeggio down portamento" is a bell in the original. 

hmmmm ... :)

On 10/26/2019 at 2:34 PM, emkay said:

It's not my intention to interfere VinsCool's nice Thread, but as it seems, you still have to learn a lot. Particulary that SID is build wit the the knowledge of EXISITNG sound solutions back in that time.

The "Filter" of POKEY is definitely a direct modulation processing feature. The creator of the SID Chip never named special devices, but he named them by the flaws. 

The programming speed of POKEY isn't the real problem. It's the type of programming.

I have to admit that I failed to get why particular Atari "Fans" like special POKEY tuning. That's why I started to  build POKEY edits without taking care ;) .

The real weird part is that you have to "detune" everything in RMT , if you want to get something like "music" .

Sid styles? Well, POKEY styles that can sound like SID have been possible BEFORE SID was built.

The Intro you see in the Video could run on an 800 from 1979.

Just heard this -- it's very Kitaro, ca. "The Silk Roads". In fact, a lot of Kitaro could be POKEY chiptunes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I've got something new uploaded :)

An original song for once, made with my friend Spring, and some cool sound design ideas.

[Original, Collab/w Spring] Journey Through a Strange Portal (Atari PoKEY)

NTSC .rmt and .xex attached to the post.

Journey_Through_a_Strange_Portal_Final.rmt Journey_Through_a_Strange_Portal_Final.xex

• Like 6

3 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Hey everyone, I've got something new uploaded :)

An original song for once, made with my friend Spring, and some cool sound design ideas.

[Original, Collab/w Spring] Journey Through a Strange Portal (Atari PoKEY)

NTSC .rmt and .xex attached to the post.

Journey_Through_a_Strange_Portal_Final.rmt 12.15 kB · 3 downloads Journey_Through_a_Strange_Portal_Final.xex 14.09 kB · 3 downloads

You're definitely on the right way ;)

• Like 1

I'm still in the mood of doing some cooperation ;)

If someone offers a clean C64 SID to RMT  ONE POKEY notation conversion, I'd help there to bring the needed FX in.

It's a still missing part of POKEY development. And, if such a "perfect" tune (as possible with RMT) exists, other people might get some inspiration to finally write a real POKEY Tracker, that allows to develop every single thing that POKEY could do  , and to use it in tunes.

Things getting nicer.

I was a little playing with it  (again) . Just to have a less squealing lead.

And then I tried some effect that seems to work quite interesing in NTSC Speed. It's the approximation of the different orbits (gen. e/c) on two channels. At least to me , it makes the lead "bass" more friendly. Using NTSC also feels a litte like cheating to me, as manipulation in the sounds act more like samples just by the 10 updates more per second.  

• Like 1

@emkay Lead is indeed better and doesn't squeel. But why do you seldomly share your .rmt file? Share it, and Vinscool and others can learn from it. Even better would be if you explain what you exactly edited, so we don't have to manually compare the two files. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, emkay said:

Things getting nicer.

I was a little playing with it  (again) . Just to have a less squealing lead.

And then I tried some effect that seems to work quite interesing in NTSC Speed. It's the approximation of the different orbits (gen. e/c) on two channels. At least to me , it makes the lead "bass" more friendly. Using NTSC also feels a litte like cheating to me, as manipulation in the sounds act more like samples just by the 10 updates more per second.  

Very nice.

Can you share your edited module, pretty please :)

Edited by VinsCool
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, emkay said:

Using NTSC also feels a litte like cheating to me, as manipulation in the sounds act more like samples just by the 10 updates more per second.

PAL machines are better at graphical demos because they have more time to create a new frame. NTSC machines are better at creating faster updated sounds. I don't see how it's cheating. It's a stock machine. Just how it works.

And 50Hz or 60Hz, let's call the whole thing off ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K75g7eRhH9M

Edited by ivop

Honestly the reason I use NTSC speed is for being convenient living in NTSC territory, I'm already pretty familiar with 60hz speed so I make use of it.

Having a very slightly faster sound update is also nice to have.

One of these days I'll get myself an actual A8 machine so if I know what to expect it's already a nice thing ?

I admit my most recent tune isn't my best, but knowing new tricks is always welcome. This is always a nice challenge.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Honestly the reason I use NTSC speed is for being convenient living in NTSC territory, I'm already pretty familiar with 60hz speed so I make use of it.

Having a very slightly faster sound update is also nice to have.

One of these days I'll get myself an actual A8 machine so if I know what to expect it's already a nice thing ?

I admit my most recent tune isn't my best, but knowing new tricks is always welcome. This is always a nice challenge.

You shouldn't put yourself down.  Chip music has it's limits. To get the best out of it is a challenge :)

I don't give a cent , if people claim that a tune does sound "off".

I managed to have several tunes that precise, even by the limits of POKEY, causing YouTube showing "copyright infringement" . And, as soon as that level is reached, you always read "it's off " ... "emkay is deaf" .... whatever. But when a pokey tune sounds like row of broken stairs of a castle ruin, the same people like that. Youtube is acting on the KEY of music, not just single chords. If the melodic KEY is reached, the music is covered.

Your latest tune is very good, but the 8 bit resolution doesn't allow to play just a note of any octave. The slight difference in the pitch mostly makes a pokey tune yelling or squealing. Depending on the different types of clocking and channel setting, you can use "modulo" of one note for different octaves to have the note the same. 

Youtube looks for patterns and transposition it doesn't care if it's on key/in tune or not, it doesn't care if it's still in the same key/octave. If it's close they either flag it or send it to review. The use of YouTube's copyright protection functions means it's possibly recognizable as some songs that are already in the database.

• Thanks 2