IGNORED

Trying to make some PoKEY music!

VinsCool

6 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Youtube looks for patterns and transposition it doesn't care if it's on key/in tune or not, it doesn't care if it's still in the same key/octave. If it's close they either flag it or send it to review.

The YouTube automatism tells you exactly the seconds where the melodic parts fit.

Al little pitch change and the song isn't recognizable for it.  

What @_The Doctor__ said. The YouTube AI pattern matches relative changes in the frequency domain (i.e. not time domain as in raw WAV files) with a certain leeway in both directions.

You seem to think that this AI is in some way an approval of the quality of your work. But it's not. Even "shitty flute" gets flagged for copyright infringement. The AI doesn't know whether it sounds pleasant to a human.

Sometimes you really improve a song, like you did with the lead on the last one. Again, why not share the .rmt?

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHMmLi8z1HbyhTEvfBgXpyg

and this has had copyright problems through out time... it even notifies copyright holders... big companies have swung in to action... not because of infringement but to take the revenue....

hmmm...

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/bcoel0/sony_copyrights_whole_channel_because_of_shitty/

Edited by _The Doctor__

42 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHMmLi8z1HbyhTEvfBgXpyg

and this has had copyright problems through out time... it even notifies copyright holders... big companies have swung in to action... not because of infringement but to take the revenue....

hmmm...

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/bcoel0/sony_copyrights_whole_channel_because_of_shitty/

What a dumb show ;) 

In the background is the real tune running and the flutes were just overlaid in a disgusting way. Youtube checks the real tune in the background. 

So, what was the question?

The only ones he's still got posted are either passing or have had the dispute settled, that's why I encourage you communicate for some insight. Ripping it all could be some tedious work, and not all that rewarding...

If you commence making more sh*tty flute songs on the 8 bit, we come for you with pitch forks. :)

• Haha 1

There are two points to check. 

1) When YouTube is claiming a copyright infringement, there is always a timestamp set. The letter has not such a timestamp in it. 

2) He uses "Music" he lent  from others . So how does he know, if someone didn't use a part of the "original" ?

The weird part with copyright is that it doesn't matter who did the music first. It's about who did it register first. 

There exist old C64 SIDs where the original creators don't care about. But others took the content of the SIDs, and did the "original registering" . 

The talk of copyright and plagiarism made me realise that I have a lot of tunes that I started composing but never finished/released.
The thing is, I'm not a very good composer, but I learn more and more how to use music trackers and do stuff.

So I recorded quite a bunch of stuff I have been doing in RMT for the last months but never finished for a reason or another.
Maybe someone would be interested and possibly give me interest to finish a song properly for a project? :P
Most of the video was recorded from recent to older stuff, so the quality may get lower as it goes further, hahaha.
The first playing in that video was actually sketched today, so it's very fresh XD 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VinsCool said:

Making some progress with sound design in 15KHz mode.

An updated version of the tune in the ideas video posted earlier.

I'll attach the current .xex below.
It's still unfinished as it is.

Sketch 26 V8.xex 6.86 kB · 0 downloads

I don't want you getting all over confident or some big head and mess up... but I like what you've got going on here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I don't want you getting all over confident or some big head and mess up... but I like what you've got going on here!

Thanks! 
I'm still learning new tricks in RMT, so this has been really promising so far!
There's literally things going on there I cannot even do with Famitracker, a MUCH easier tracker program for NES music.

1 hour ago, VinsCool said:

Thanks! 
I'm still learning new tricks in RMT, so this has been really promising so far!
There's literally things going on there I cannot even do with Famitracker, a MUCH easier tracker program for NES music.

For it's vice versa. For some better music perfection, RMT would strongly need some more manipulation features. 

Your bassline is very nice. But the arpeggio plays two notes good and the 3rd note plays somewhere. The 15kHz resolution is in many ways not usable for music. If RMT allowed to change all AUDCTL features on the envelope, you could change to a better solution for a cleaner note there. 

Still the example of :

The higer riffs were really played one octave higher. Together with the pwm control, the wavelength suggests the more correct note. We'd need a tracker that has this feature build in, for a direct waveform control.

You might see the problem when the creator of the stereo version uses 2 pokeys and cannot handle this correctly. My version runs on a standard Atari and could even be played on a stock 800 back in 1979.  The image plus the tune running in one program together would have been a miracle and a wonder in one ;)

And, as the Atari had been build for 3D presentation... who knows what happened to games like Wolf 3D  ;)

What it is about, is to have the timing control stable. Then the Atari is able to do more than the creators of the hardware ever expected. 

And, if a dedicated tracker exist, one could do reproducable results, ann explain it. So people who want to learn it, might understand what's going on.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, emkay said:

Your bassline is very nice. But the arpeggio plays two notes good and the 3rd note plays somewhere. The 15kHz resolution is in many ways not usable for music. If RMT allowed to change all AUDCTL features on the envelope, you could change to a better solution for a cleaner note there. 

You are very correct here. The detuning gets really bad just about the range I tried to reach. But that's a nice trade off for getting really good bass I think, and I'm sure there's a way to work around this with the instrument editor changing frequencies directly, which I do play to try later.
I was thinking of using different distortions in 1.79mhz mode, but the tuning remains a bit challenging to adjust.
A very fun chip for sure!

I think you know this one...

Doesn't the arpeggio sound quite nice? It's really 15kHz only. Just the feature of PWM is helping there. Not directly, but as a side effect of the main synth "grainy" sound. Not to mention the correct drum and percussion :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VinsCool said:

You are very correct here. The detuning gets really bad just about the range I tried to reach. But that's a nice trade off for getting really good bass I think, and I'm sure there's a way to work around this with the instrument editor changing frequencies directly, which I do play to try later.
I was thinking of using different distortions in 1.79mhz mode, but the tuning remains a bit challenging to adjust.
A very fun chip for sure!

Best is $2x ... you get the same range as standard $Ax

$Cx gets you A#4 up into the 6th octave.

I made tuning tables for these too.

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Best is $2x ... you get the same range as standard $Ax

$Cx gets you A#4 up into the 6th octave.

I made tuning tables for these too.

I'd be interested in those. Would be really useful for things I'm trying to achieve :D

That would be in 1.79mhz mode, correct?

Edited by VinsCool

Gen. 2 is rather nice by the clean note replay. The bad part there is the low resolution in the volume. 

But there is a real use for music , if you keep in mind that the start of an instrument needs an unambigous moment.

With  a patched RMT it was possible to enhance the ADSR of an instrument. It actually sounds like OPL 2 .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Yes ... 

if you go to the 7800 programming forum, I have a POKEY table there, and it has 1.79 settings for the $2x and $Cx distortions, plus several other settings which are not RMT standard.

7 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Also these are NTSC tunings.   For PAL you may need to retune things.  Keeping in mind, this usage of $Cx distortion requires the non-mod 3 frequencies to work properly.

Thanks! Very comprehensive guide! This will be incredibly helpful :)
I'm going to assume I may have to manually "tune" instruments by hand in the version of RMT I'm using, but having a frequency table will save me time, so I won't have to do it by ear :D
Thinking of the problematic notes in my most recent tune, specifically. Knowing I can handle the arpeggio table and the frequency table at the same time, it definitely can be done, hopefully!