IGNORED

Trying to make some PoKEY music!

VinsCool

4 hours ago, tane said:

Making a comparison with v1.30, it seems that the speed runs 1 step slower, ie: (speed v1.30)=05 is similar but not equal to (speed v1.30 patched v9)=04.

Are you sure about that? I've tested about as many tunes I as I could and everything sounded exactly like intended, in both region. This is the only reason why something would run at a different speed on some tunes.
If a tune was made with NTSC in mind, but runs in the tracker in PAL, it will indeed play slower, and the opposite is also true.

• Like 1

Played a little bit in a cover of a tune I really like, and I combined some ideas emkay added some time ago with some tiny improvement I did today :D 
I think it wouldn't take much more to call it done, and replace the original version I did, that isn't as good anymore, now :P 

used the custom tuning tables btw :) 

Amberstar - Ode to Schnismmk VinEDIT12.rmt Amberstar - Ode to Schnismmk VinEDIT12.obx

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, VinsCool said:

Played a little bit in a cover of a tune I really like, and I combined some ideas emkay added some time ago with some tiny improvement I did today :D 
I think it wouldn't take much more to call it done, and replace the original version I did, that isn't as good anymore, now :P 

Amberstar - Ode to Schnismmk VinEDIT12.rmt 4.48 kB · 2 downloads Amberstar - Ode to Schnismmk VinEDIT12.obx 12.96 kB · 2 downloads

This is f****ng great ;)

No yelling at all. Now we are in business :D

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, emkay said:

No yelling at all

That's due to his alternate tuning. Perfect 8ths, perfect 5ths (how about 3rds?), and tune to the bass notes. Distortion A does not need a well-tempered tuning with A=440Hz. Tune to the bass notes! ?

It could be nice to calculate which keys are best suited to the (fixed) Dist C frequencies, and then create just intonated Dist A tables for those keys.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Great stuff here.  I'd get some recordings on real hardware for you, but I have a noise issue that needs diagnosed in my 1088 XLD.

Thanks! I appreciate the offer but I got all my hardware needs covered now :D 
I was lucky enough to get a 800xl of each region, so no issue there! 
Hardware will come sometime soon... maybe tonight? ?

1 hour ago, ivop said:

That's due to his alternate tuning. Perfect 8ths, perfect 5ths (how about 3rds?), and tune to the bass notes. Distortion A does not need a well-tempered tuning with A=440Hz. Tune to the bass notes! ?

It could be nice to calculate which keys are best suited to the (fixed) Dist C frequencies, and then create just intonated Dist A tables for those keys.

I'm so happy this tuning adventure really paid off after all, I really thought I was wasting my time... I'm glad I was too stubborn to give up just yet!

Honestly the Distortion C frequencies (any timbre minus the unstable/muting ones) are about as good as I could get them... There are a few notes that turned out to be debatable... and happen to be directly related to the A ones I was hesitating with, but overall, I'd say about 90% of them are nicely in-tune with a relatively consistent amount of cents off... which is honestly a lot better compared to how the notes were originally.

Hopefully, my efforts may be useful for later projects :3 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, VinsCool said:

RMT2LZSS Vin Tuning Patch A and C and E V9.exe
I hope you are okay with that rensoup? ? If there's anything I shouldn't have posted I'll delete upon request.

That's almost criminal... time to put some anti-hacking measures in...

just kidding of course ?

5 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Amberstar - Ode to Schnismmk VinEDIT12.rmt 4.48 kB · 4 downloads Amberstar - Ode to Schnismmk VinEDIT12.obx 12.96 kB · 4 downloads

Wow... great sounds!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Schnurrikowski said:

You are a genius :) Thanks for that really nice tune! 

But will this work with Rings of Medusa title theme, too?

Thank you!
Nice tune, I don't see why it couldn't work, seems very much in the range of POKEY capability to sound nice.

Speaking of which, while the oscilloscope video is rendering, here's the real hardware recording of the Amberstar tune!
I recorded it from my PAL 800xl

Might just upload the video tomorrow, it's pretty late already lol

Edited by VinsCool
Addendum
  • Like 5

The recording shows that the LZSS player really is showing "original" content. 

Let's say there is just a difference about 5% , while the RMT player only reaches 50% of the real thing. 

The "perfect" fitting to Altirra's emulation shows a tad difference on the recording. 

The real Pokey shows less noise but has a little earlier cancelling/clamping in the tune.

This only means that things still can be optimized on the emulation.

@VinsCool

Would you like to do a recording of my latest 15kHz edit, for some comparision?