IGNORED

Trying to make some PoKEY music!

VinsCool

This thread shall be kept alive! :D
I've been experimenting with trying to use the two-tone mode in some songs, with the latest project being of Gauntlet III's title screen. I've also been using a lot of distortions 2, c, and e at 1.79mhz much more often. ;)
However, I'm not quite so sure whether I should use those 3 distortions for the very high-pitched arpeggios due to their tunings. I don't think pure square would sound that much better, and I also want to have that "booming" bass you can only get at 15khz.
With that bit of rambling over, what do you think of this quick WIP?

• Like 5

5 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Personally I did a bit of a travesty tonight, I made NES music instead of Atari.
I thought you'd be interested to hear some of it anyway :D 

Definitely  sounds like sleep deprivation ;)

Interesting how you try to have the NES Chip sounding like POKEY :D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rensoup said:

Crazy! hopefully you'll do the full version...

Wish granted! :D
Might buff some parts out, but the bulk of the work is done!
The attached .zip file contains the module itself, along with some older revisions, the slighty modified rmt code I made to enable and disable two-tone mode by setting command 7 to FF to turn it on, and FE to turn it off. There's also the simple player attached, courtesy of @VinsCool ;), and tracker.obx, which does work, but two-tone mode will not be able to be heard in the tracker until a version of the cycle-accurate Altirra 6502 .dll supports ivop's loader.

Enjoy! :)))))

GauntletIII2T.zip

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, EnderDude said:

tracker.obx, which does work, but two-tone mode will not be able to be heard in the tracker until a version of the cycle-accurate Altirra 6502 .dll supports ivop's loader.

Good thing Phaeron released a new Altirra version earlier tonight, along with the plugin sources :P 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Prince of Persia (Atari 8-Bit Port) - Music Bank 2 (Recorded from Real Hardware)

This was recorded from my PAL 800xl.

Here's all the files used for this project, including .rmt, .erti, .xex and .sap files. :D 

Bank should come some time later once we're done organising the data involved.

Prince of Persia (Atari 8-Bit Port) - Music Bank 2.zip

• Like 6

a dumb idea I improvised a bit earlier tonight.

I may be on something nice if I develop it further, I quite like where it's going honestly.

The CMD7 AUDCTL patch is really making this sort of stuff work really well, I can truly have the control over the sounds that way :D 

sketch 63 v1.xex

[edit] I also have this sketch from earlier tonight where I experimented with the filter manipulation, but I did not find it that good so there's no video.

sketch 62 wip1.wav

sketch 62 v1.xex

Edited by VinsCool
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, EnderDude said:

Sometimes 2 tone and filter in a chord work out niiiiiicely
this is a sneak peek of another cover I'm making
If I'm careful with how I configure the channels, I might be able to retain the echoing, or at least settle for a good compromise :)

this nice work, it takes us back to a time when people programmed their synths and experimented... baked their own so to speak. Sounds refreshingly good on our dear pokey

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

this nice work, it takes us back to a time when people programmed their synths and experimented... baked their own so to speak. Sounds refreshingly good on our dear pokey

The "4 channel" chords have been used very often back then. 

The slight detuning in the frequencies compensate by always keeping the same amount of detuning. 

The result sound good. 

Remember "The Last Starfighter" or " Archon" . Also some Sound demos exist using them. 

@VinsCool@ivop

So I'm trying to find tones for dist C which are 50 cents (a "quartertone") between the current tunings for the bass part of the song I'm working on. Before I invest a lot of time for looking for them, did you already go through all of them? I didn't see them in the spreadsheet, but I'm just asking if you did those too already.

On 11/15/2021 at 1:14 AM, VinsCool said:

I have a sheet page where I have all the known values calculated by column, and any missing values in between were purposefully omitted due to being unstable/randomly muted.

Oops! I forgot to reply.
Thank you! The table really helped me find all the needed frequencies so far!

I basically made various C and E table instruments with various offsets to fit most cases, and it sounds nice. :D

I'm also debating where I should put the first switch from 15kHz to 64kHz around the intro to make it as smooth as possible. Perhaps I should make it switch to 64kHz as soon as there are arpeggios instead of in the middle of the track?

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Just wondered, aside the cool in-demo music for NRV's Project-M, does there exist a decent A8 rendition music track for the Wolfenstein 3D game anywhere for download?  Also same for DOOM and Duke Dukem 3D games? :) 

I don't know, I think there were some Doom covers but that's all I could remember personally.

• Thanks 1