IGNORED

Trying to make some PoKEY music!

VinsCool

In the USA copying someones handbag and selling it ends you up in jail... and your money goes bye bye... even if you add a slash through the gucci emblem as it's meant to deceive. Stealing something as simple a hook, snagging someones music or lyrics will get you into the same trouble... depending on how you snag a snippet of a song and the sampling techniques used may get you involved in some expensive litigation as well.

Quit being a d*ck head, either show the goods... or we can assume it just made up b.s. only done on emulation or some synth using a pokey core (or multipokey core for that matter).

You talk of helping but don't show or give the exact mechanics and no files for anyone to tear into and learn with...

Not only those issues but this is @VinsCool thread derailed like all other pokey music threads... you come in make comments and then go to 'improving' without saying how on someone elses work, publish it, then refuse to give the Original Author the files?   NUTZ!

soon you have more posts going back and forth than the OP... always with a video... never delivering the goods for the people to enjoy or work with on a real Atari.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

In the USA copying someones handbag and selling it ends you up in jail... and your money goes bye bye... even if you add a slash through the gucci emblem as it's meant to deceive. Stealing something as simple a hook, snagging someones music or lyrics will get you into the same trouble... depending on how you snag a snippet of a song and the sampling techniques used may get you involved in some expensive litigation as well.

Vice Versa is the case. People always did Bags. But some do only a little change. put a "gucci" on it and sell it for tons of money. There is no innovation at all. It's just the label. 

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Quit being a d*ck head, either show the goods... or we can assume it just made up b.s. only done on emulation or some synth using a pokey core (or multipokey core for that matter).

You talk of helping but don't show or give the exact mechanics and no files for anyone to tear into and learn with...

Not only those issues but this is @VinsCool thread derailed like all other pokey music threads... you come in make comments and then go to 'improving' without saying how on someone elses work, publish it, then refuse to give the Original Author the files?   NUTZ!

soon you have more posts going back and forth than the OP... always with a video... never delivering the goods for the people to enjoy or work with on a real Atari.

Also. Did you ever see one doing a request by me? 

I did 1000s of demonstrations. 100s of examples incl. source. But didn't get a single charge back there . I actually don't expect it. 

Also, every time the same protagonists expand my post to an unnecessary amount of posts. 

I posted VinsCool a demonstration in PM , and he used it. So what?

He seems to be a great chip musician but has to learn a lot about POKEY. And he knows that. 

And I always wrote that an explanation of what I'm doing isn't useful, as long as no software exists that makes it direct reproducable for new projects.

Honestly I don't really mind not seeing the tricks behind modified .RMT modules. It would be great to be able to see the good stuff directly, however :P 
The ones I share are "final" to my own taste. Seeing all the stuff going in the songs is really neat, but at the end I would figure out my own tricks as well.

If emkay doesn't want to share back... oh well.
I won't really suffer from it, I always learn new tricks when I work on new stuff anyway :D 

Speaking of which I didn't really touch anything POKEY for some time, been a little busy on different stuff, and different chips as well.
Hopefully I would have a new song to share in a near future. ?  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, it's been a while.

I haven't actually made much work on POKEY since I posted here, but starting from yesterday I decided to give it a go again and figured out some things a little better!

I was inspired by a cover made by one of my friends, right here:

Pay attention to the channel 1, how it behaves. This motivated me to research into it a bit, and after several tries I got some really satisfying results.

Here's an example of my own manipulation, done in 15khz mode for the purpose of immitating SID bass.

Satisfied of what I got, I started to write a tune that puts it in action.
The best part is that I'm able to use all 4 POKEY channels, and not have to rely on a patched version of RMT even!

Hopefully I'll be able to put this stuff into my other unfinished projects, and finish something for once, hahahaha.
I believe this was already figured out by our Atari 8 Bit veterans, but hey actually knowing what I'm doing and being pretty precise with it sure feels nice :P 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VinsCool said:

Hey guys, it's been a while.

I haven't actually made much work on POKEY since I posted here, but starting from yesterday I decided to give it a go again and figured out some things a little better!

I was inspired by a cover made by one of my friends, right here:

Pay attention to the channel 1, how it behaves. This motivated me to research into it a bit, and after several tries I got some really satisfying results.

An der Nordseeküste

Am plattdeutschen Strand

sind die Fische im Wasser

und selten an  Land. 

Here's an example of my own manipulation, done in 15khz mode for the purpose of immitating SID bass.

Satisfied of what I got, I started to write a tune that puts it in action.

That's the point. It doesn't matter how "my changes" have been done. It does matter to understand the physics behind it. 

The best part is that I'm able to use all 4 POKEY channels, and not have to rely on a patched version of RMT even!

Hopefully I'll be able to put this stuff into my other unfinished projects, and finish something for once, hahahaha.
I believe this was already figured out by our Atari 8 Bit veterans, but hey actually knowing what I'm doing and being pretty precise with it sure feels nice :P 

C64 way means to use the bass channel for drums. Just change the volume an the 2nd channel of the filter.

Also better for POKEY, create high sounding percussion on channel one of that. The FX won't sound detuned because it is based on the main bass frequency.

You get then 2 channels for a melodic part.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, it's me again.

So I've spent some time experimenting with sound design on different trackers, and came back to Atari once again.
After a few months of theorising and experimenting (I have many songs I never completely finish for the time being), I can say I am pretty happy of understanding new techniques now!

I decided to cover a pretty simple song to put in practice the new tricks I finally figured out regarding the PWM.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Deku Palace (Atari PoKEY Cover)

Shoutouts to Emkay, Spring and Makary for many ideas and guiding me through this journey. It took a while, but now I understand the quirks of the PoKEY chip a lot better.

NTSC .rmt and .xex attached to the post :D

Deku Palace Final.rmt Deku Palace Final.xex

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, VinsCool said:

I've also made that same song on the NES, but being weaker or not depends on a lot of things, since it would be like comparing apples to oranges :D 

I don't think it's bad at all. Particular, because the chip sounds like a grown up SID in many cases. 5 channels beat 3 channels every time. 

One thing I'd like to have attention by you. 

Listen closer to the NES sounds and the POKEY sounds in your edit. 

I'm pretty sure, there is a better balancing on the POKEY tune possible. 

I like your edit, but it's a step into the right direction, if there is no yelling at all. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My friend Spring and myself have been playing around with experimental sound design for some time now, and he made this song today using a couple of the ideas we got recently

There's even more stuff both of us have still in progress, but I will make sure to post them here when something gets finished, or at least, have got enough to be called good enough to publish, haha

• Like 5

2 hours ago, VinsCool said:

My friend Spring and myself have been playing around with experimental sound design for some time now, and he made this song today using a couple of the ideas we got recently

There's even more stuff both of us have still in progress, but I will make sure to post them here when something gets finished, or at least, have got enough to be called good enough to publish, haha

To quote some people "It's way off" ;) . 15kHz experiments would do better in a dedicated tracker. 

Doing slides from one wrong pitch to the next can work sometimes.  Well "sometimes". 

It has been figured out that it always worked well, to have the filter using the basis of the tune and to set the other channels on it. A 5 or 7 note shift brings POKEY hardware in, to create resulting tones that sound in tune. 

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MrFish said:

The sound that plays from 1:31 - 1:52 would be the perfect sound effect for a game with a little monkey in it. :D

Hahaha now I can hear it!

That reminds me of Plastic Pop where the arpeggio reminded me of a tiny dog barking

7 hours ago, emkay said:

To quote some people "It's way off" ;) . 15kHz experiments would do better in a dedicated tracker. 

Doing slides from one wrong pitch to the next can work sometimes.  Well "sometimes". 

It has been figured out that it always worked well, to have the filter using the basis of the tune and to set the other channels on it. A 5 or 7 note shift brings POKEY hardware in, to create resulting tones that sound in tune. 

Haha right, 15khz can only do so much before getting off quickly.

It does work however, and so making a song using the detuning on purpose here was not too bad I think.

Takes fresh ears by surprise, but still manage to grow on me here :D

The 64khz parts were a lot more in tune, at least.

Most of what was heard in that song was done on purpose. I think there were a couple mistakes left behind, which involved the 2 PWM channels modulation and carrier, but surprisingly that sort of fit, I suppose.

Oh yes, about the 5 or 7 semitones difference, we did have noticed this effect as well, a couple days ago, actually!

I have a song making use of it, but it's not finished yet.

There's a lot of combinations that have yet to be tried out, since I know even more sounds can be created.

Oh and btw this is all 50/60hz friendly, I know you love that stuff, and frankly I also prefer it that way.

6 hours ago, emkay said:

Acutally I did once a 15kHz version of this. Here a more "modern" PWM version. 

Not peaky, better frequencies... just the cool loop of the start

Hmm... ape or dog?

I would say monkey for this one! Very similar to what Spring did in his song.

Seems the mokey or dog is depending on the arpeggio 

A monkey, if it is ascendig. A Dog, if it is descending ;)

Also, it seems not a bad solution in this song , to have the PWM working at channel 2 plus using the chord on the 4th channel. 

If time allows, I'll try the whole tune. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rensoup said:

this one's a rollercoaster of ? and ? !

I guess such results come from the "preset" of POKEY Trackers. Particular RMT.

Raster did explain the circumstances , but people don't read them.

It's not a good choice to create "new tunes for Atari/Pokey"  in such a tracker. The "Preset" is not done to suit musicians well.

In EVERY PoKey Tracker musicians should find a preset of instruments that really work for real music. If that is done, a musician might create non "Rollercoaster" music on PoKey  by default ;)

• Like 2