IGNORED

What's Your Pipe Dream Games On The Jag.

Atariboy2600

I've been told Leonard Tramiel thinks that Hoverstrike and Battlezone 2000 were 2 totally seperate games, different development teams etc...

I've seen Battlezone 2000 listed online as being done by HMS on Jaguar, but Jim Gregory boss of HMS did not mention it as 1 of the titles they were working on when they went under.

Emailed Rob Nicholson but it might be an old email, it does not bounce, but never had a reply back from him.

It would be nice to get some clarity from HMS but then again, Rob Nicholson made clear they were never doing Jaguar Akira, yet that still gets listed by people.

Hoverstrike is one of my favorite games. I will say though that Hoverstrike on CD seems appreciably better than the one on the cartridge. I can't remember what it is... but, for fear of destroying my Jaguar CD (I know... everyone gets mad). I basically never play it.

I'd love to know if... with this new 6mb cart that Carl from Songbird is designing... if we could now sell Hoverstroke "Plus" on cartridge?

It's an EXCELLENT game... I've spent many hours playing it.

I've never seen any images or video from a supposed Battlezone 2000 if one existed, but add me to the waiting list if it gets produced! haha...

Oh, and... would really like those DragonLance games on the Jaguar! :)

Mine has been Conan ever since gameplay footage materialized, but I'm guessing it's a Native situation where the console couldn't handle the finished product.

The console could absolutely handle Conan, it was most likely Atari just being cheap. Native also could have happened but Duranik would have been forced to make some modifications to make it work. With that said, I don't think either have stood the test of time very well. 5 years ago Native still impressed me but not so much anymore. Conan demo was really bad actually and super limited. I think it was the mental hope of a fun game to play more that what was shown.

• Like 2

Mine has been Conan ever since gameplay footage materialized, but I'm guessing it's a Native situation where the console couldn't handle the finished product.

I chatted to the Conan coder some time ago, Carlo Perconti, regarding what became of it:

'We got involved developing on the jaguar after we met some key people at

one of the CES show in LasVegas (I do not recall who exactly). Lyes and

I we were impressed by the concept of the GPU Jaguar, an unique list

processor which could allow huge sprites to be drawn on screen and which

broke the limitation of number of hardware sprites on 1 video line like

We used to have back then on the SNES. So at first We decided to develop

a new graphic engine based on multiple layer of sprites on PC, then

through Arcade Zone We got access to one of the Jaguar Hardware and then

We started to port the beginning of a “first possible” level of what We

wanted to demonstrate based on a CONAN character (but really it was only

to show up the engine, no license was signed yet at that time). For

sure, back to that period, We got many inspiration from the Big Coin-Up

Arcade titles like GoldenAxe and alike…….'

• Like 5

@82-T/A:For all it's flaws, i put a lot of hours into Hoverstrike (cartridge) back in the day.

It was never quite the Battlezone update

i perhaps wanted, but was enjoyable none the less.

It took Pandemic and the advances in PC hardware to reboot Battlezone.

What's PS4 VR Battlezone like?

Be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on how Rebellion did with the I.P.

• Like 1

The console could absolutely handle Conan, it was most likely Atari just being cheap. Native also could have happened but Duranik would have been forced to make some modifications to make it work. With that said, I don't think either have stood the test of time very well. 5 years ago Native still impressed me but not so much anymore. Conan demo was really bad actually and super limited. I think it was the mental hope of a fun game to play more that what was shown.

I'd expect a lot more from the finished games than what we saw in the demos (and I know what we saw of Conan was nowhere near as developed as Native), but even then my standards wouldn't be terribly high considering the Jaguar has no side scrolling beat em ups and the standard bearer for horizontal scrolling shoot em ups is... Trevor McFur.

Until the Last Strike at least!

• Like 1

I thought about a "Weapon Lord" remake for the Jaguar... Not a port but a remake of the game with better graphics and animation. All of the sound and stuff is already there, just improve on what's already there and move it over to the Jaguar. I remember when I rented this game in the 90s and thought it something different than the normal games of that time, but I'd love to remake this for the Jaguar. Just a wishful thought at this point. When the Conan game would come up, I'd often think of this game for some reason.

Edited by philipj
  • Like 2

We should've had the entire Atari Games Corp library on the Jag.

An arcade-perfect Gauntlet II done as well as Atari Games/Tengen did with Gauntlet [iV] on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive would've been a far better pack-in than Cybermorph. It would've also sold a sh*t-tonne of Team Tap Adapters.

Like with the Lynx, MIDI Maze should've been licensed even before work on the console began. It was such a slap in the face when BPS licensed it as Faceball 2000 and ported it to just about every non-Atari console available at the time.

That would be just for starters. I'd still love to see an enhanced version of Starball made for the Jag...

• Like 3

Not really a game, but it would've been sweet if there was a way to play older 2600, 5200 etc games on the Jag. Because getting a decent picture on the 2600 is very difficult, having to mod the console and so on, while Jaguar outputs native RGB. Either an adapter for older cartridges, or a "Best of" from earlier generations.

Maybe the Jag SD project will in the future have firmware updates that will enable roms for older consoles, but I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest this to the gentleman making it, I'm sure he has enough on his plates as it is.

• Like 1

My pipe dream it's pipe dream...

NES Pipe Dream is my favorite version... but my earliest memories of the game was playing the Windows 3.1 version on my grandpa's old Gateway 2000... I didn't know the DOS or other versions besides the NES and Win 3.1 versions even existed until a few years ago. Played it on my K6 DOS PC... played great and I loved the speaker beep boops... lol

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

We should've had the entire Atari Games Corp library on the Jag.

An arcade-perfect Gauntlet II done as well as Atari Games/Tengen did with Gauntlet [iV] on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive would've been a far better pack-in than Cybermorph. It would've also sold a sh*t-tonne of Team Tap Adapters.

Like with the Lynx, MIDI Maze should've been licensed even before work on the console began. It was such a slap in the face when BPS licensed it as Faceball 2000 and ported it to just about every non-Atari console available at the time.

That would be just for starters. I'd still love to see an enhanced version of Starball made for the Jag...

Well...Leonard Tramiel supposedly went on record saying he was all in favour of having MIDI Maze on the Lynx, but the then head of Marketing at Atari Corp hated the idea and indeed the concept and rejected both MIDI Maze and a similar game Epyx had in development and that was the end of that, sadly

• Like 1

Not really a game, but it would've been sweet if there was a way to play older 2600, 5200 etc games on the Jag. Because getting a decent picture on the 2600 is very difficult, having to mod the console and so on, while Jaguar outputs native RGB. Either an adapter for older cartridges, or a "Best of" from earlier generations.

Maybe the Jag SD project will in the future have firmware updates that will enable roms for older consoles, but I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest this to the gentleman making it, I'm sure he has enough on his plates as it is.

I mean, if I had a "Super GameBoy" like attachment for the Jaguar to play 2600 carts on, that'd be fancy, eh? lol.. I still have an unmodded 2600 so RF it is!

• Like 1

One of the games I really enjoyed when I owned a Colecovision was Hero by Activision, I loved the way it played - be nice to see a game like that popped onto the Jaguar with updated graphics. I think that would be a great one, or even a variant of that type of cave rescue/helicopter game.

1 hour ago, pacman000 said:

A 3D game where you fly around as or on a dragon.

A voxel game with higher resolution sprites. 

(Not sure these are possible, which is why I'm putting them in the pipe dream thread.)

Something like Dragon Strike on the Amiga?

I'd guess Dactyl Joust would of been the most similar thing being worked on, Jaguar wise.

I still wish Rebellion had taken the game concept they showed Atari UK when trying to get Falcon development underway and landed Jaguar instead, Dragon's Vs Viking Longboats and turned that into a Jaguar title.

• Like 2

Whether on Jaguar or anywhere else,

Something I've always hoped for would be what I like to call a Playable version of Dragon's Lair.  Meaning, whatever the graphics, and the closer to the arcade, the better, you would then control Dirk the Daring (Do I got the right name?  I hope so haa,  Guess it's been a while)...Scenes could be similar to the arcade but you'd always be in total control of the actual character, say one button for sword and one for jump, not just clicking here and there like you're playing Simon...

• Like 1

That might've been possible...

If I remember right most of the game had Dirk in a room, rendered as a long shot till something happened. They could've replaced the animated long shot with a photo of a painting. Place large sprites on top of that, cut to a short piece of animation when Dirk interacts with an object, & you'd have the right look & feel for most of Dragon's Lair.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 7:43 PM, philipj said:

I might be over-reaching a little, but It think it would be jaw dropping to see "Primal Rage 2" on the Jaguar... I've always been a Killer Instinct fan and if PR2 can be ported to the Jaguar, that would technically prove the Jag can do KI arcade style games. Man is someone could pull off porting that game and make it a reasonable close arcade port to the Jag, that would just be awesome. If KI can be ported to the SNES and still relay a close arcade port, Primal Rage 2 would be an awesome game for the Jag, but that's just me dreaming at this point. lol

It was being developed for the cojag originally but was changed to Atari gt which was beefed up PlayStation with hdd that was on of the delays.  The human characters suck.......

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 6:54 PM, pacman000 said:

That might've been possible...

If I remember right most of the game had Dirk in a room, rendered as a long shot till something happened. They could've replaced the animated long shot with a photo of a painting. Place large sprites on top of that, cut to a short piece of animation when Dirk interacts with an object, & you'd have the right look & feel for most of Dragon's Lair.

The nes and super nes  port was a play former. Replace the Sprite with with Sprite made from screen grabs of the animations. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kalani said:

It was being developed for the cojag originally but was changed to Atari gt which was beefed up PlayStation with hdd that was on of the delays.  The human characters suck.......

It still would be a great show piece for the Jaguar even if some of the animation could be scaled down... Think "Killer Instinct" on the SNES only with better animation. Something like that is possible for the Jag. As far as the human character is concerned, I think they were aiming for the "Bloody Roar" audience that was popular at the time this game was made. That's the only logic I can think of for them doing it in that way.