IGNORED

What's Your Pipe Dream Games On The Jag.

Atariboy2600

Always remember Ocean Software Musician Jonathan Dunn saying whilst they used similar soundchips, you could achieve more on the 8-bit 128K model ZX Spectrum, as that had a buzzer you could use in conjunction with the AY,  which gave good results..:-)) 

He's right... Check "Chronos" music composed by "Tim Follin." He programmed the Spectrum buzzer to produce 1bit synth music through a serious of clicks the ZX sound chip would naturally produce, which I thought was pretty brilliant. He took basic synth theory used in the more analog machines like the "Hammond Organ" and applied to the buzzer on the Spectrum. My first introduction to Tim Follin's work was "Wolverine" for the NES and then "Magic Johnson's Fast Break", which both games sort sucked, but the music extraordinary for an 8-bit machine; It wouldn't be until later I would find out about him and his brother "Geof Follin's" work on the Commodore and Amiga machines. The synthesizer I used on the PC called "Jaytrax Sequencer" originally started out as synthesizer on the Amiga computer using the 68000 processor. Also I ran into a demo on YouTube where someone was able to make a working synthesizer on the "Atari ST" emulating the "Turbo Graphics 16" sound chip with all 6 channels working with graphics floating around in the ST demo. I can't find the demo on YouTube anywhere, but I bet someone here knows about it.

That's not the one although that's not a bad ST demo in it's own right... It could've been I saw it on my Facebook feed...? I did have my cellphone at the time I saw it; Anyways... The one I'm referring too emulated the TG16 synth chip with all six channels playing along with the ST native sound chip with a scrolling sprite background. I thought it was pretty impressive; I think the ST would've benefited quite considerably if that had been out back in the day with better sound capabilities. It reminds the "Rikki & Vikki" game for the Atari 7800 using the extra sound chip on the cartridge... It also reminds me of the "SPL or Sound Programming Library/Language?" for the Atari Lynx that I read about a while back; it was some sort of sound engine "by musicians for musicians" for the Lynx sound chip. I don't spend hours researching, just whenever I get the time to do so and it usually pays off for me.

7 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Apology accepted, and thank you once again for admitting you were wrong and spreading more incorrect information around the internet.

Number 1, I'm not admitting to anything, I'm merely having a decent conversation on a public forum... Number 2, I don't know what "incorrect information" you're referring to; please enlighten me, other wise don't make or respond to assumptions with sarcasm and smart alley remarks. It tends to rub off wrong or just turn people away from an already troll weary Jag forum... It's not what you say CJ, but the way you say it. If I have incorrect info, simply point it out to me without insulting my intelligence with accusations of spreading incorrect info and I'll explain or take the correction like I've done in the past.

THANK YOU

3 hours ago, philipj said:

Number 2, I don't know what "incorrect information" you're referring to; please enlighten me, other wise don't make or respond to assumptions with sarcasm and smart alley remarks.

I did, with my youtube post. It's not my fault you can't understand what you are talking about on any given subject or the responses that correct your mistakes :)

2 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

I did, with my youtube post. It's not my fault you can't understand what you are talking about on any given subject or the responses that correct your mistakes :)

The only one I see who's says I don't understand what I'm talking about is you, but I suspect there are others since wolves travel in packs. I gave the best description to my understand and you put a name to that description, but then you insulted my intelligence by telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about. It's no wonder there's just a flood of people over to let loose there discussions and talk like normal forums do because guys like you make them feel welcome by insulting their character... NOT. You're good for releasing ST games, but you have bad people skills, you really should look in the mirror sometimes, but I bet on some level you get some kind kick out of this trying to get people's dandruff up. On one you you tell me I don't understand what I'm saying, but on the other hand you put words in my mouth by making assumptions you know nothing of; two wrongs don't make a right.

9 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Sigh. I'm not sure I can make it simple enough for you to understand.

But that's just it... I never said it couldn't be done... You're putting words in my mouth. Not so simple. I fully understand the "Buzzer" response, but where is it I said it couldn't be done? Those are your words, not mine.

59 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

image.thumb.png.5c40e9dd0b39362e113fb27b528191c2.png

You can stop now. And run off back to facebook to continue trashing AtariAge.

First you put words in my mouth, you blatantly lie on me saying I'm trashing AtariAge, then you put a post of my quote as if to legitimize the lie as if you got proof when you know that isn't at all true. I have nothing but the up-most respect for AtariAge as an Atari fan myself; why would I want to trash Atari Age for...? I have nothing against AtariAge, but once again you spew off with false accusations against me, but I'm the one releasing false information. I mean put yourself in my shoes; if someone did you that way, what would you do? It's usually good manners to do to others what you want done to you, if you don't want it done to you, you probably shouldn't do it to anyone else.

Ok, I'll bite.  In the last few years I have seen most of the games I wanted for the Jaguar.   Cyrano ported Joust, Moon Patrol, Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, Gauntlet, and other fun titles.   And with some hacking we saw playable Atari 2600 games on the Jaguar with Virtual VCS.

So what are some games I love that I'd like to see on the Jaguar?   I had five, I'll cut it to three...

1. X-Men Arcade.   Very few home consoles have this, and this is my favorite arcade game of all time.

Xmen-Arcade-Screens-111010-1.thumb.jpg.93c30e23f4d07150e6eb9e6fe137b55f.jpg

2. Golden Axe : When I play a Genesis emulator this is the game I play.   Be cool if it was another game on the Jaguar.  Also played this in the arcade a lot in college.

DOS_01.gif.13c3fe8bd390302d8fbefd52b8f1207f.gif

3. Bubsy : Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind : I am SOOOOO glad that though this game was originally slated for the Jaguar that the Jaguar version is it's own unique version.  That said, I think Claws Encounters would make a fun addition to the Jaguar library.   If the Dizzy series could have the games ported for completeness, why not Bubsy?   (I know I know... I need to get to programing and porting... just need to finish reverse engineering the Bubsy Fractured Furry Tales disassembly...)

)Bubsy_in_Claws_Encounters_of_the_Furred_Kind.png.db031f76454cd52d62495f91b7fd2b24.png

• Like 1

The SNES version was pretty decent; the music to the game was very good... I only played the Jag version when I got my first Skunkboard a while back... The music to that game was OK, but the high resolution made for a somewhat different experience in the game play versus the SNES version. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 4:44 AM, doctorclu said:

Ok, I'll bite.  In the last few years I have seen most of the games I wanted for the Jaguar.   Cyrano ported Joust, Moon Patrol, Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, Gauntlet, and other fun titles.   And with some hacking we saw playable Atari 2600 games on the Jaguar with Virtual VCS.

So what are some games I love that I'd like to see on the Jaguar?   I had five, I'll cut it to three...

1. X-Men Arcade.   Very few home consoles have this, and this is my favorite arcade game of all time.

Xmen-Arcade-Screens-111010-1.thumb.jpg.93c30e23f4d07150e6eb9e6fe137b55f.jpg

2. Golden Axe : When I play a Genesis emulator this is the game I play.   Be cool if it was another game on the Jaguar.  Also played this in the arcade a lot in college.

DOS_01.gif.13c3fe8bd390302d8fbefd52b8f1207f.gif

3. Bubsy : Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind : I am SOOOOO glad that though this game was originally slated for the Jaguar that the Jaguar version is it's own unique version.  That said, I think Claws Encounters would make a fun addition to the Jaguar library.   If the Dizzy series could have the games ported for completeness, why not Bubsy?   (I know I know... I need to get to programing and porting... just need to finish reverse engineering the Bubsy Fractured Furry Tales disassembly...)

)Bubsy_in_Claws_Encounters_of_the_Furred_Kind.png.db031f76454cd52d62495f91b7fd2b24.png

Going purely off memory,but X-Men Arcade appeared very briefly on PSN, longer on XBLA, but got delisted due to licensing issues, did it not?

That game seemed very simple as far as how the game was designed... Some kind of equivalent would be very nice for the Jaguar just for show. I've always admired how both "Assembler" and "LISP" was used to make the game versus using C or C++, which was the normal of that day. I found that there's a version of "FRANZ LISP" for the Motorola 68000 out there that was abandoned for to the public around 1984 in favor of for an ASIC standardized version. Very cool stuff IMO. Not to say the same kind of thing can be done considering the Jaguar is very different animal then the Playstation 1, but I find it very cool none the less.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:51 PM, CyranoJ said:

The 'you can't see me I'm invisible' Jeffrey defence is strong with the JS3 folk, it seems :D

Just stop. Damn either you really miss me or you just like keeping stuff stirred up. Judging from your latest social media posts about your newest PORT I would guess it's the latter. Here's an idea, instead of carrying over Atari ST code in yet another port, why not create a brand new Zombie shooter from the ground up with all of the bells and whistles? Surely you're up to the challenge?