IGNORED

What's Your Pipe Dream Games On The Jag.

Atariboy2600

1 minute ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Well at least we have MANY more ST ports to look forward to.

Hopefully. Always good to have more working titles on the system. There is so much crap released, you know.

Well, I will be doing more anyway, in between making my own new games and updating that RAPTOR library thing.  Although judging by how it manages to keep some of the things I've seen thrown at it going, it seems to be pretty robust.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Hopefully. Always good to have more... Bla bla bla.... Give me credit... Bla bla bla... I am king of all things Jaguar....bla bla bla....RAPTOR.....JS3 sucks...bla bla bla...there was no colusion...bla bla bla...flushing 15 times....bla bla bla...impeachment is a hoax....bla bla bla...ORANGES....bla bla bla....lizard people....

...it seems to be pretty robust.

When I'm finished with JagZombies II Unholy Night I am going to send you a copy to the land down under AND I'm going to sign it so you will always have something special to remember me by.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

When I'm finished with JagZombies II Unholy Night I am going to send you a copy to the land down under AND I'm going to sign it so you will always have something special to remember me by.

Please have it shipped to:

The Sun,

SOL System.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, LianneJaguar64 said:

As it goes, some approximation of wipeout would have been sick... But to get anything approaching wipeout running on the Jaguar would, I think, take a lot of work, and probable look a lot like Super Burnout. Lots of 2D sprites involved 

After seeing Mortal Kombat on Lynx I would say: Never say never. A faithful adaption really should have been impossible: RAM restriction, only 16 colors, low res,  blalah,.... thousand reasons why it is silly to even attempt this. 

• Like 3

On 1/7/2020 at 9:40 PM, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Just stop. Damn either you really miss me or you just like keeping stuff stirred up. Judging from your latest social media posts about your newest PORT I would guess it's the latter. Here's an idea, instead of carrying over Atari ST code in yet another port, why not create a brand new Zombie shooter from the ground up with all of the bells and whistles? Surely you're up to the challenge?

Some one litterally requested the port...

6 hours ago, willbilly said:

MDK

Loved that on PlayStation.

Very much enjoyed reading how it was converted from PC to PS1 and had a few brief exchanges with coder himself about the conversion in the past, real blood,sweat and tears affair to get it to work on Console, as it was designed as a Pentium PC title.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LianneJaguar64 said:

As it goes, some approximation of wipeout would have been sick... But to get anything approaching wipeout running on the Jaguar would, I think, take a lot of work, and probable look a lot like Super Burnout. Lots of 2D sprites involved 

The original Wipeout i never even found that playable, it was like the then modern equivalent of myself trying Powerdrome on the ST, drawn in by the visuals,not keen on the actual racing game itself.

Wipeout 2097 was where the series peaked for myself until the PSP era reboot of the franchise.. 

Wip3out was ok,  Fusion on PS2 just left me cold.

If you want a compromised version of Wipeout, just pick up the Sega Saturn version and leave talk of Jaguar Wipeout as just that, talk.

Never really understood all the drama surrounding using ST code on the Jaguar.

You never see people kicking off over Atari Lynx Daemonsgate was based on code from Commodore 64 Nightbreed,  both titles ironically never appearing..

Or PlayStation and Saturn Bubble Bobble using ST code, rather than the original Taito Arcade machine source code (source Fergus McGovern RIP)

If using 68000 code is now viewed as such a bad thing, why do i see Jaguar Sensible Soccer and Theme Park often described as best versions?

Cannon Fodder (which lacks the mouse controls of the ST/Amiga version)  Baldies on Jaguar CD which uses the majority of code from the unreleased Amiga version, yes 68000 code, being praised.

The community can't scorn indie developers for using 68000 code for a target market in it's 100's now, but turn a blind eye to the commercial teams (Williams Brothers, Bullfrog, Creative Edge etc)  who used it when the Jaguar user base was in the 1000's.

ST Thrust used as basis for GBA version,  so ST code pops up more often than you might expect..

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, LianneJaguar64 said:

Oh I don't know about that.  Quite some months ago we were treated to an awesome video by one of, it not THE preeminent 3D coder in the world.  If legend is true, he has well over 15 years of killer 3D releases for multiple systems and is a renowned world traveler.  It's proof positive the Jag can handle a game that combines both the graphics of Need 4 Speed AND Wipeout.  I am so dying to see the progress that's been made in the past 3 months.

wipedout.thumb.jpg.33eb1418ba7cdfad37fdb5d3f9ea1542.jpg

• Like 1

Ok... WARNING...! Massive pixel overload. I've uploaded this once before, but I'll do so again. Below are some car concept I did back in 96 or 97 inspired by a few games I played back in that day; games like "Outrunner (Data East Sega Genesis game), Rock-N-Roll Racer (SNES), Ridge Racer, Wipeout, and Need For Speed". This was once my pipe dream game concept at one point and still sort of is sitting on the back burner; I used an old "IBM 386" with Windows 3.1 to draw the images from scratch with just a couple of them actually copied from actual sketch drawings I did; all images comes directly from old diskettes. With only 16 colors to work with, mixing colors to simulate shadows and other colors was very effective; a real learning experience for me. If you look at the images that actually have landscapes on them, you can see those dithered like color mixes using no more than 3 or 4 colors. Maybe one day I'll revisit the old drawing and do something for the Jaguar system.

Cobra 2.jpg

Moon Duster.jpg

Nice Truck.jpg

Traxx 2.jpg

Taxi Racer.jpg

SA Racer.jpg

Taxi Racer.jpg

Space Rally.jpg

Space Rally Traxx.jpg

Saturn 1.jpg

Saturn 2.jpg

UFO.jpg

Kitty Kitty.jpg

Edited by philipj

Ok since this is a theoretical "Pipedream" subject, here's a couple of inspirational imagery from two of the best games to ever do it graphically on the "Playstation 1", Grand Turismo 2 and Ridge Racer Type 4. These games were simply masterpieces really showing off the PS1 hardware toward the end of the systems life cycle... It would be neat to see something like this on the Jaguar.

Still chuckling away to myself over how certain members of the community ( on YT especially)  get so vocal about 16 bit code running on Jaguar.

Adding to Mike Diskett explaining the slowdown on Jaguar Theme Park and Syndicate, David Wightman saying the unreleased Amiga version was directly converted to the Jaguar, we have Stoo Cambridge explaining Jaguar International Sensible Soccer was a straight port from the Amiga version.

All these without looking into cases where the Mega Drive version was used as basis for conversion to the Jaguar.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lost Dragon said:

Still chuckling away to myself over how certain members of the community ( on YT especially)  get so vocal about 16 bit code running on Jaguar.

Adding to Mike Diskett explaining the slowdown on Jaguar Theme Park and Syndicate, David Wightman saying the unreleased Amiga version was directly converted to the Jaguar, we have Stoo Cambridge explaining Jaguar International Sensible Soccer was a straight port from the Amiga version.

All these without looking into cases where the Mega Drive version was used as basis for conversion to the Jaguar.

Theme Park is a beautiful game but a terrible port for the Jaguar. It's reasonable to blame poorly optimized "16 bit code" (I guess you mean running the engine on the 68K CPU) for that, not using the Jaguar hw well.  

Edited by agradeneu

The Motorola 68000 really does seem to have some good qualities in its own right... I was just looking at how the ST handled "Zarch" just using minimal polygon and a particle system as well as handling all of the sound fx. I wouldn't put all of my chips squarely on just the 68000 when it comes to the Jaguar, but I think the if it can pull of simple task quite reasonably on the ST, it's just a matter of finding how to make the best out of it. If only "Checkered Flag" had been optimized a little better.

13 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Theme Park is a beautiful game but a terrible port for the Jaguar. It's reasonable to blame poorly optimized "16 bit code" (I guess you mean running the engine on the 68K CPU) for that, not using the Jaguar hw well.  

I recently saw the Jaguar version described as the best version of Theme Park, due to having extra rides and such ( the comment was wasted on myself as i hated both Theme Park on Jaguar and Theme Hospital on PlayStation,  they just are not my thing) and the slowdown was mentioned.

What the reviewer seemed unaware of was the specifics behind the conversion,  as the games coder Mike Diskett explained to myself back along :

"Syndicate and theme park are both very simulation heavy games designed to run on a high end 486 (at the time) and even on PC suffer slow downs, without a major simplification of the game it was never going to run at a constant great framerate. With more time we could have made it run better, but I guess projected unit sales were so low it wasnt worth the business guys at Bullfrog have us spend more time and maybe make a loss on making the games.."

Now my point about chuckling at people on YT etc getting so upset about ST code being ported to the Jaguar today, is this..

If sales projections during the Jaguar's commercial lifespan were so low, it was not worth the time of commercial teams to write for the Jaguar from the ground up,when converting existing titles, why is there the expectation those kind enough to invest time and energy into converting games now, should take a different approach,  when only 200-300 people might be interested in buying/playing the game? 

• Like 1