Atariboy2600

What's Your Pipe Dream Games On The Jag.

Who on earth would really want a prototype of Zone Hunter to turn up?

It was a mediciore VR title even back in it's day.

If you were good at it, you could sail through it in around 15 minutes. 

Virtuality Rep said the Jaguar version was going to have lower polygon count, but bigger arenas.

Unless the finished title was going to have a lot of extra content, it was never going to work as a home title, it was designed for the arcade market.

As for that other title :-)) 

Let's say Carmack (who's often reluctant these days to talk about Jaguar development.. period)  has a massive change of heart, releases into public domain any test code he might of done for future Jaguar titles, let's say Doom II as that was mentioned and is within realms of possibility on Jaguar..

It would just end up on eBay being sold in a mock up Jaguar II box at an absurd price for those desperate for the full boxed collection. 

Dactyl Joust exists as an impressive looking, but very brief video clip.

What would happen if code for this brief demo was released (it happened with Zzyrox II after all) and once people played it and it was perhaps discovered the actual play mechanics still needed an awful lot of work done on it, would that stop people selling it for absurd prices?. 

I don't wish to be cynical,  but when individuals were selling a collection of YT footage from planned Jaguar titles and it was footage from other versions, free to view on YT, it just seems anything new that's found and shared, will end up on eBay as a money making scheme for some.

• Like 3

My understanding is Doom and Doom 2 use the same engine. Someone a few years ago here stated their thoughts that Doom II used a newer engine and a programmer from the Doom community popped up and said they're the same engine. 

For what that's worth

On 1/19/2020 at 10:32 AM, Lost Dragon said:

Who on earth would really want a prototype of Zone Hunter to turn up?

It was a mediciore VR title even back in it's day.

If you were good at it, you could sail through it in around 15 minutes. 

Virtuality Rep said the Jaguar version was going to have lower polygon count, but bigger arenas.

Unless the finished title was going to have a lot of extra content, it was never going to work as a home title, it was designed for the arcade market.

As for that other title :-)) 

Let's say Carmack (who's often reluctant these days to talk about Jaguar development.. period)  has a massive change of heart, releases into public domain any test code he might of done for future Jaguar titles, let's say Doom II as that was mentioned and is within realms of possibility on Jaguar..

It would just end up on eBay being sold in a mock up Jaguar II box at an absurd price for those desperate for the full boxed collection. 

Dactyl Joust exists as an impressive looking, but very brief video clip.

What would happen if code for this brief demo was released (it happened with Zzyrox II after all) and once people played it and it was perhaps discovered the actual play mechanics still needed an awful lot of work done on it, would that stop people selling it for absurd prices?. 

I don't wish to be cynical,  but when individuals were selling a collection of YT footage from planned Jaguar titles and it was footage from other versions, free to view on YT, it just seems anything new that's found and shared, will end up on eBay as a money making scheme for some.

Jag never had the mass market  penetration that Sega or Nintendo did in North America.  It a niche collector piece. It's not neo Geo tier expensive but it's fairly expensive. Most owners where the die hard fan boys from when it first came out. I kinda on since I saw doom and tempest 2000 being played on big screen with it. Piko games in the wild at a retail location. Big selection for snes. None for other systems. The Jag is a niche system many have it for the sake of having it. 

1579647146624701786707.jpg

1579647169931132377578.jpg

15796471990831373439008.jpg

15796472584571407092417.jpg

1579647289765104775121.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 7:41 PM, JagChris said:

My understanding is Doom and Doom 2 use the same engine. Someone a few years ago here stated their thoughts that Doom II used a newer engine and a programmer from the Doom community popped up and said they're the same engine. 

For what that's worth

Sorry, my comment regarding if anything from Jaguar Doom 2 or Quake was found, was meant as a tongue in cheek comment.

It'd be like Carmack saying, well it got as far as us  having a basic wide-ranging editor up and running for the game, that we will be able to use to rotate a level on the X,Y and Z Axis and i still have that somewhere.

Cue individuals in the community rushing to claim said games were now true lost titles, others making boxes in the hope said editor code would be made freely available. 

It's just the nature of the beast within the greater Retro community. 

I was engaged in lengthy chats with individual who secured the Akira Roms on Sega Genesis and at one point a certain Journalist wanted him to basically stop trying to get the actual code, just get the horror stories behind the games development,  as he could do far more with that,than he could the actual game code.

The more tantalising an item is in terms of what could of been, the more consumer interest it seems in many cases.

Well! This thread has been an interesting read thus far, huh?

A game I'd love to see on the Jaguar would be I.K.+. I think it'd be a solid fit!

Historically speaking, as others have said, a faithful running port of Virtua Fighter 1 would have been cool as was definitely within reach re: gourad shaded polygons at 30fps+. (FFL, for all its horrible, horrible (horrible) flaws at least ran decently and involved texture mapping etc.)

FWIW: Ultra Vortek 2 would have kicked ass...

I've always been a fan of "Jaleco" games since "Rival Turf" for the SNES... I don't think the Jaguar has really had a good boxing game released for it. I'd love to see a stylized boxing game like this on the Jag.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:53 AM, NeoGeoNinja said:

A game I'd love to see on the Jaguar would be I.K.+. I think it'd be a solid fit!

• Like 1