IGNORED

PokeyONE

-^CrossBow^-

20 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

This is getting exciting.  Now we just need for the price to drop some.

I honestly don't know which is more likely to happen first - that FPGA implementations such as this fall in price, or that the price of real POKEY chips reaches and exceeds the price of a clone. 

3 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I couldn’t find anymore real POKEYS for sale.  I purchased five from a guy on eBay a while back and he ran out of inventory.  So it’s Ballblazers for now and I don’t like cannibalizing carts.

Bradley still lists them for now, limit 1. I really need to buy one this weekend, just in case. ? 

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/custom-i.htm

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Just saying, but you can have random local friends and relatives, that don't give a rats ass, order one and hand it to you.

Yeah, I know ... but realistically, I have two "daily driver" A8's, both with stereo POKEYs. If the clones don't increase in functionality and/or decrease in price fast enough, I could always replace the second chip in one or both of those with a clone (they just need sound from the second chip, not I/O). For that matter, I have "spare" 800's, 400's, 800XLs and 1200XLs sitting around here too, though I'm loathe to pull chips from any of them. :)

I'm content to keep waiting for cheaper FPGA implementations or something along those lines. With luck, there will appear *SOMETHING* resembling an ARM-based 7800 flash cart or load-able multi-cart someday. At that point I can buy a PokeyOne or something for it. (fingers crossed).

• Like 1

Just sent an email to Bradley.  Going to need one for 7800 Arkanoid.

Thanks.?

Edited by sramirez2008
Day 1 - Bradley responded to my email, and order has been placed w/Best Electronics. Day 2 - Received email that Best has shipped my order.
  • Like 1

I have a real POKEY in my CC2 and a real POKEY in my "Donkey Kong PK".  If I replace both of those with PokeyONEs then I will have four real POKEYs to keep in reserve, including the extra Ballblazer and the 600XL motherboard that I have been scavenging chips off of.  That should keep me pretty good for the time being.  

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 4:24 AM, iesposta said:

Just for the simple fact that audio and pot paddle function is all that is needed for all arcade games use, and all the remaining functions are not needed in the arcade games, I strongly doubt this project will ever reproduce 100% the entire POKEY chip used in home computers.

The POKEY in Asteroids Deluxe is used for random number generation too.  I know that because a problem developed where I was experiencing loss of most sound effects and all asteroids were sitting on top of one another. The test mode indicated a soundchip error. The POKEY spec lists RNG as one of its functions.

I replaced the POKEY from a Ballblazer cartridge and it worked - but the power supply failed a few days later. When that happened I realised the original POKEY was probably OK and was complaining about the low voltage from the failing power supply. I still have it so may swap it in at some point to test it.

I'd certainly pay the price for a PokeyOne if I needed one for my Asteroids Dx.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, davyK said:

The POKEY in Asteroids Deluxe is used for random number generation too.  I know that because a problem developed where I was experiencing loss of most sound effects and all asteroids were sitting on top of one another. The test mode indicated a soundchip error. The POKEY spec lists RNG as one of its functions.

I replaced the POKEY from a Ballblazer cartridge and it worked - but the power supply failed a few days later. When that happened I realised the original POKEY was probably OK and was complaining about the low voltage from the failing power supply. I still have it so may swap it in at some point to test it.

I'd certainly pay the price for a PokeyOne if I needed one for my Asteroids Dx.

Kind of getting this back to the start of the topic, for those who didn't watch the original video or read the entire thread - PokeyOne will work as a drop-in replacement for all the various arcade machine boards that use original POKEY chips, basically, except (I guess?) the handful that used specialized QuadPOKEY such as STAR WARS; that means in addition to generating sound, it has to have accurate RNG to pass the self-test stuff in arcade consoles for the machines that use it (this is addressed in the video). It also has to read paddles (for WARLORDS). What it definitely does not do as-is is serial I/O as used in the A8 machines. And I'm not sure about the keyboard lines - it's been discussed up-thread I'm sure. There is a working prototype of a newer, more capable version that has at least some of these functions implemented but that's as much as I know about that right now.

Having said that, I'm meeting with the developer next week one afternoon for lunch. :) I will have much better first-hand info then. 

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

And this also means that the demo POKEY tracks I am doing that use two tone mode will not work either.  Although I am curious how it handles the other nonstandard settings on my tracks.

For those of us not well-versed in the nuances of POKEY manipulation, what is "two tone" mode and what specific elements of POKEY's feature set does it require? 

Also, there are a number of these out in circulation now and the creator has them for sale - I'm sure testing it against your tracks should be fairly straightforward. 

Two tone mode was originally designed for the Atari 8-bit computer system to enable cassette drive I/O.  One channel has the carrier frequency and the other modulates it.

It requires the serial I/O functions not supported in POKEYOne.  It is engaged by writing $8B to SKCTLS (POKEY+$0F).  You then silence the 2nd channel.  2nd channel plays frequency and 1st plays modulation.

• Like 3