IGNORED

just one question....

eddhell

ok, I'm new to 2600 programming, but have been a programmer for years (basic, pascal, cobol) and the logic is basically the same with different syntax here and there...so I've been reading tons of posts, tutorials and guides to mess around with my own projects and I keep running into the same burning question:

How in the hell did they get CHESS to run on a 4k ROM in 1979????? I understand this was the game that caused them to come up with bank-switching, BUT THEY DID NOT use it on the shipped version....so I'm completely baffled by the programming with the limitations on variables compared to the number of pieces, each with multiple moves and directions, knights with their weird 'L' shaped movement and ability to jump over other pieces, specialty moves (en passant, castling), keeping up with 32 pieces and 64 possible board locations.....HOW did they cram all this logic into 4k???

Edited by eddhell

that's impressive too, although i see it has a few things left out from the constraints...."no move validation" - i would imagine that freed some space along with variable usage....

but still impresses me since I can't even display a game board the exact way i want yet...