IGNORED

HSC16 Round 9: Fort Apocalypse & Fortress Underground

FORT APOCALYPSE

fort.png?w=604

Links: Fandal XEX Atarimania INFO

Mr Kerr's fantastic ATARIEVEIWER site has a nice writeup

Play on NOVICE first, if you complete that then play PRO then EXPERT! Novice is fairly easy, pro is much more fun.

If you've completed Novice before: play NOVICE with 7 LIVES and NORMAL GRAVITY, play PRO and EXPERT also with 7 LIVES and NORMAL GRAVITY - otherwise select up to 11 lives and Weak gravity as you wish.

NO AUTOFIRE!

The scoring is a bit flawed as you can harvest points on the destroyable blocks or sections that re-generate but it's a great game so enjoy it!! If anyone figures out how to get a good ranking that will count above score.

[sPACE] is PAUSE but it also seems to work on the results screen so you can actually read it and grab a photo :-D

It's been a while so here is a bonus game, it looks good, it might be good, who knows, clearly not me, so let's find out!!

FORTRESS UNDERGROUND

Fandal ATR see the comments on Atarimania which include "Mediocre Fort Apocalypse Clone" and "Very good playability and smooth animation" :-D [edit] Play on default setting "Medium" difficulty. PAL ONLY See comments on deteacher's post below

fortress_underground.pngy

Round ends Sunday 9th June 10am UK Time

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY

I've also started up a MULE Tournament, not part of the HSC Season but it anyone wants to join in please do The Month of M*U*L*E is waiting for your scores :P

trbb

Edited by therealbountybob
Press SPACE to Pause on results screen!
  • Like 2

post-19705-0-03960000-1558872638.jpg

Had a couple of goes on Fort Apocalypse, was fun re-remembering things, I remembered it being a bit easy (on Novice at least) and completed it "NOVICE NORMAL 7 LIVES"

70,545 - Eagle Class 4. We will play for rankings as scoring is flawed. See 1st post for the settings :)

post-19705-0-56744700-1558872609.jpgpost-19705-0-22971900-1558872627.jpg

Also played the bonus game Fortress Underground - looks like my copy has some minor corruption (see photo) so will re-download it. After a few goes figured out there are many more stages (it loads from disk as it goes), go up from the tank! Not sure what the objective is but looks "ok" for a bonus game, willl read up and see what's what :)

• Like 3

Fort Apocalypse - 21008 pts, Sparrow Class 3 (Novice, 11 lives as I only briefly played the C64 version before)

Fortress Underground - 14000 pts or so, didn't reach the highscore list

Two OK games, but I know where my heart and soul will be in the next month...

• Like 2

Fort Apocalypse PRO 7 Lives Normal Gravity - completed 68,891 Eagle Class 4.

Looks like it's Eagle for completing it or Sparrow/Hawk (not a Sparrow Hawk!) I guess not blasting the little men and crashing so much will improve rankings.

You might notice the blocks change directione each time you fire :grin:

See first post for the settings :)

• Like 1

Ok, so I got a few rounds in today. I'll post my screenies next time, but with regard to rankings, I do not believe the manual is correct. Your rating is not determined by how fast you complete the mission. I flew through (no pun intended) the novice mission, only shooting where I had to. I rescued all the survivors, destroyed the fort, saved the girl and drank the night away. Rating of Hawk, class 1. Played the same mission again, same settings. This time, I cleared as many enemies away as I could find, spent a decent amount of time in the caves, blowing away walls. Still rescued all the survivors and completed the mission. Rating: Eagle class 4. My score was higher from all the walls I blew up and the more meticulous attention to overall destruction. I'm going to play novice one more time. This time, I'm going to point press every place I can and see what happens to the rating after that. I'll post my findings later.

My preliminary findings have me pretty convinced that the rating system is tied to your score. If anyone can prove me wrong, I'm up for it. :)

• Like 1

In which case the rankings are flawed as the sections re-spawn... score is flawed... so how about for the players who have complete Novice before) could play for missions completed and remember how many men we rescued: 7men each skill level with Normal gravity, then the same again with Strong gravity so that's 6 missions

I'm farily sure rescued all the men on my two completed goes (Eagle Class 4)

Careful not to shoot the men off the edges of the TV set!

forget the above (apart from the last bit!)

I tried to improve my rank on "Pro N7" by being more careful with the rescuees: 69,108 "Hawk Class 1" so maybe the class rating is affected by them. I lost a lot of choppers so perhaps that dropped me down from Eagle : :ponder:

Managed to complete "Expert N7" :-o 72,255 "Eagle Class 2" :grin:

post-19705-0-98361700-1559063618.jpg

first tables

Fort Apocalypse

Play with 7 lives and Normal Gravity. If you've not completed Novice before then you can chose exta lives and Weak gravity (see first post for settings). Scoring may change but it's 1pt per place for now.

Novice
1st Deteacher Eagle Class 4 78,956 6pts
2nd therealbountybob Eagle Class 4 70,545 5pts
3rd carlsson Sparrow Class 3 21,008 4pts
4th jblenkle Sparrow Class 4 3,870 3pts
5th roadrunner Sparrow Class 4 7,180 2pts
6th RedThunder Sparrow Class 4 1,000 1pt

Pro
1st Deteacher Eagle Class 2 75,231 2pts
2nd therealbountybob Eagle Class 2 73,368 1pt

Expert
1st therealbountybob Eagle Class 2 72,255 2pts
2nd Deteacher Eagle Class 2 68,884 1pt

Fortress Underground

1st RedThunder 78,850 4pts
2nd therealbountybob 48,500 3pts
3rd roadrunner 41,500 2pts
4th carlsson 14,000 1pt

• Like 1

Was looking to see if I could find any other info on the rankings etc on Fort Apocalypse - no but I did find this on the c64 wiki (also has a full map)

>>>Tips
The barrier on the right of the reactor: Most of the time you're lucky and the passage which gives access to the reactor is open. Then you'll be able to approach the reactor from the right. (Worf)

If I remember correctly, there was an event that triggered the barrier, if you fired too much shots while dismantling the bunker, the door closed.

<<<

interesting - I'm pondering if the wall/gap in the right tunnel may be open if you have destroyed the tank things above otherwise not. [NO!]

Also pondering to boost score and possibly rank that you can clear all the blocks and also re-clear the top sections and also the very top outside section before finishing the game, respawning the lower tanks is too risky vs the men lost/time perhaps.

Edited by therealbountybob

Novice: 70.412 Eagle Class 4 (0 Pilots left)

post-4219-0-03589200-1559679846.png

Pro: 24.913 Sparrow Class 2 (killed in the reactor room)

post-4219-0-98639800-1559680569.png

Now, there's a Fort Apocalypse II with more levels for the C64 but unfortunately it seems to be not just extra maps that can be ported like it has been done with other C64 games :grin: but the guy who made it recreated the whole game with own code (using a hex editor by the way)...

• Like 2

Fort Apocalypse - 33197 pts, Condor Class 3

I destroyed the big target on level 2, then I tried to dock with something I shouldn't dock with, and all my remaining lives were lost without any way of steering clear. At least I gave it another go.

post-5454-0-75111800-1559984563.jpg

• Like 1

Fort Apocalypse - 33197 pts, Condor Class 3

I destroyed the big target on level 2, then I tried to dock with something I shouldn't dock with, and all my remaining lives were lost without any way of steering clear. At least I gave it another go.

Sounds painful!

Remember each fire press switches the order of time (Archon Stylee) so the blocks open and close or move accordingly.

Fort Apocalypse is good until you've completed it then I'm not enjoying the replays quite so much, little impovement to be made, though I have had a lot of them. Slighly improved score on NPro7 74,916 still with Eagle Class 2 - I rescued *all* the men but lost a lot of lives. Can anyone get Eagle 1?!

post-19705-0-06162800-1559998796.jpgpost-19705-0-39340700-1559998807.jpg

Fortress Underground hmmm a bit late now but try it on Hard difficulty guys, it's more fun as you have to blast things from a distance and possibly the turbo becomes useful too, I scored more and made it to 2nd on the Hall of Fame!! 77,050

Was hoping to find more info on this game - possibly on C64 and Amiga also :)

• Like 1