IGNORED

Raspberry Pi to SIO

I thought I read something in the "issues" on Github that there was something done in the software that allowed for the removal of the diode at one point, as well as your awesome board. It all burs together at some point. lol

Yes there was, that also, didn't work as expected. Then BigBen stepped in, designed something that actually worked correctly, and shared it with the world, I just made a PCB of it to make it easier to implement. Everybody benefits when we all share our improvements.

• Like 4

I was super excited to see I had a bunch of LLC boards laying around, so here is my prototype so far, going to install the software next and play around a bit.

Can you test to see how well this behaves with other devices on the sio bus?

The UNO2SIO board replaces the diode because the diode didn't work as expected. That probably means that this board is eventually going to have a v2 :-)

Replying to myself...

I was rereading the UNO2SIO stuff and BigBens comment about why the UNO doesn't play nice on the bus, why it needs the board in the first place here makes it seem very probable that the contention issue is an ATMega specific issue and won't impact the Pi at all. Maybe no need for a v2 after all :D

@Gavin1968: I don't have 800 XL in my possession. I only tested RPi2SIO on a couple of 130 XEs and one 65 XE. I also use modern power supply rated at +5V @2A to keep it safe.

The way this contraption works is, I turn on my Atari, wait for 30s for RPi to boot. At that point I *know* I can go to 10.0.0.176 on my phone, b/c this is the IP WiFi router assigns to RPi (and it can be made consistent by selecting an option on a router to remember this IP assignment).

Once web page is loaded server will scan folder for Atari files and present it in a list. Then I choose turbo speed and just click desired entry to "load" image into virtual floppy drive. Next, I reboot Atari so it starts loading. What actually happens is what Hias implemented in his atariserver: HISIO driver gets loaded, patches the OS and reports boot failure to make Atari try again. This time though HISIO driver will be taken out of the way (drive swap) and my selected image will be loaded instead.

@Mr Robot: How to secure the SIO cable so it is not yanked out? By leaving some space on HAT for a strap maybe? Would it help if contacts for it were in the middle of the board as opposed to the edge?

Hi,

I think the problem is specific to the Arduino, I have a raspberry pi hooked up to a stack of 1050s via a diode and logic level shifter, and they all work together without any problems.

Incidentally, Gavin's SIO <-> Dupont cable is pretty much what I meant, except placing all 5 wires next to each other, rather than using a "4, gap, 1" arrangement.

• Like 2

Can you test to see how well this behaves with other devices on the sio bus?

Yes, I will give that a try, probably tomorrow or the next day, I got side tracked shooting videos showing how to use an SDrive-MAX and working on my modem emulator... Squirrel! LOL

@Gavin1968: I don't have 800 XL in my possession. I only tested RPi2SIO on a couple of 130 XEs and one 65 XE. I also use modern power supply rated at +5V @2A to keep it safe.

The way this contraption works is, I turn on my Atari, wait for 30s for RPi to boot. At that point I *know* I can go to 10.0.0.176 on my phone, b/c this is the IP WiFi router assigns to RPi (and it can be made consistent by selecting an option on a router to remember this IP assignment).

Once web page is loaded server will scan folder for Atari files and present it in a list. Then I choose turbo speed and just click desired entry to "load" image into virtual floppy drive. Next, I reboot Atari so it starts loading. What actually happens is what Hias implemented in his atariserver: HISIO driver gets loaded, patches the OS and reports boot failure to make Atari try again. This time though HISIO driver will be taken out of the way (drive swap) and my selected image will be loaded instead.

@Mr Robot: How to secure the SIO cable so it is not yanked out? By leaving some space on HAT for a strap maybe? Would it help if contacts for it were in the middle of the board as opposed to the edge?

I secure my cables with a zip-tie, the old fashioned way. Just put on on the cable just inside the box, it will prevent the cable from being pulled on.

It's pretty tight for space, I put the dupont on the edge of the board so that the pins can hang off the edge. The hat already has 3 holes in it, it's part of the µHat spec

FYI, the original Atari 800 will not power the Pi, I had to use external power to the Pi.

Also, is there a plan to add more than a single drive to this? It is working great with a physical drive in the chain but would be nice to have more drives as well.

So far so good! I like it.

Here are my observations/suggestions from using this cool new project.

1. Allow uploads via the website to the SD card for images, like RetroPie does for their game images.

2. Add up to 8 drives (or at least 4) to be configured, not just D1, if I want to boot to my physical floppy and use this as additional drives that should be an option.

3. Add CAS support with tape emulator?

4. Configuration Screen on the webpage that allows the setup of additional remote storage locations, including Google Drive and Drop Box.

I still need to try it without the diode as well as on my 130XE to see if it will get power from the SIO bus, since it does not get power to run using my Atari 800. My 800 will power the SDrive-MAX, just not boot to it, so I know there is 5V on the SIO. It plays nice with a physical drive on the SIO chain so that is a big plus and the interface is super easy to use to select images, and I must admit being able to do it from my phone was super cool!

Great work so far that's for sure!

This is a great project and would love to see it grow as well as help any way I can.

Thanks,

Gavin

post-65767-0-58461000-1559097187_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gavin1968

Hi,

I think if you moved the 5817 diode into the Dupont <-> SIO cable, you could make 2 cables, one for connecting to an Atari, and one to connect to a 1050 (you just need to swap the Data In and Data Out cables. Also use normal wire instead of a 5817 diode on Mr. Robot's PCB. Not sure if a 1050 supplies +5v for powering the pi though. Hias has written up the cabling in the readme.rpi file that's part of the atariserver project (iirc).

Sorry but too busy with other projects to do this myself. Just a weak suggestion: You could probably move the connections and use SoftwareSerialBegin() to pins other then the built in serial port of the Arduino. You would still get ~115,200 BAUD but I think it would now see the load drop from the 1k resistor tied to 5V that BigBen points out to the ~50k(?) an AVR puts on its lines. It should eliminate the extra circuitry you need to make the Arduino play nice with other devices on the BUS. I'm not sure if this would have other advantages like being able to simulate a PR:Connection but it would certainly get you closer. Should be enough pins to run a Centronics interface, SIO, and a couple of serial ports anyway.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I got FujiNet-PC running at divisor 0 on a Raspberry Pi 1, Model B (not over-clocked, so running at 700 MHz), so a 1GHz Pi 0 W should be able to handle it. Only thing missing from FujiNet-PC (AFAIK) is SAM support, and I was wondering about adding that via one of the PCM GPIO pins (but never had any time to get further than thinking I should give that a go).

See: 

As a quick aside, I've noticed that some of the logic level shifter boards use a different pin layout, so you would need to be careful when combining/ordering the PCB and the logic level shifter board.

Edited by E474
Added note on logic level shifters differing

OK so as you can see I didn't put a lot of effort into the schematic. The Gerber's are here too.

I never even got around to testing this so don't blame me if it makes your Pi0 sentient and it tries to take over the world. 

I have 2 unmade boards that I'm happy to send to people for the cost of postage, first two dm's get them.

pi2sio-sch.pdf pi2sio.zip

• Like 1