IGNORED

Blue Sky Rangers History Site

While I am not quite finished moving all of the old content, I think what is there is ready for more viewing.

I have reworked most of the old intellivisiongames.com/intellivisionlives.com history site and put it up at https://history.blueskyrangers.com , including the instructions. I appreciate any comments on the new format (which should now work better on tablets and phones), as well as any broken links or typos that you find. I do not at present need to know of pages that were at the old site but are not here yet. I am still working on that.

Many (perhaps even most) of the box images have not been reprocessed to the resolution that is currently being displayed, so I don't need to be told about that, either.

It has been suggested that I should add actual screenshots, perhaps to the image carousel that is there now. I could use help getting those, but I don't want to be bombarded by tons of images for some games. I do welcome an orderly process to curate those, and that may be coming soon. To be in the box carousel, they would need to be 400 pixels high.

• Like 14

2001. The first independently published Intellivision game is released at Classic Game Expo in Las Vegas. Physical Independant game releases are still being made and released to this day.

2012. Intellivision updated classics comes to Playstation Home.

2014. Intellivision Productions release the Intellivision Flashback Supplemental Overlays to coincide with the release of the Intellivision Flashback.

Edited by Rev
  • Like 3

Just took a quick look. Thanks for continuing this. Even though I have read these several times over the years, it is still great to check it out when you want to.

I looked at Space Battle as it was one of my first games. I love the multiple box version photos!

I also love the commercial for Space Battle being added. I had never seen that one. Or Don't remember ever seeing it at least.

You could also add TV PIXX to this for the Space Battle variation. Maybe you would do this for Sharp Shot.... But Sharp Shot has 2 cannons where as PIXX was just one central target.

Also, PIXX had additional graphics compared to Space Battle and Sharp Shot. It would be cool to have the Actual PIXX software released.

Anyway, no complaints, just suggestions and a BIG THANK YOU!

I noticed that as well...

They were duplicated from the line above...

I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the credits for those games on their individual pages (except that the trademark comment was missing). But then I saw this response and figured it was in the game list. I didn't realize that when it acted up and duplicated the entry from the previous line during an edit (which I have seen before) that it messes up the entire line. I better look around at some of the other ones as well.

• Like 1

I'm thinking Major League Baseball was a 1979 release as a pack-in. There are some very early boxes indicating it was a pack-in, and the serial numbers are too low to be from 1980. What's the source of the four cartridges that were part of the 1979 test market; it very well could have missed the pack-in cartridge. Each 1979 cartridge represents a different genre and it would be very strange to not include a sports title.

Edited by mr_me

Ive been digging up release info for a slew of early consoles based on newspaper advertising and reports from Video Game Update. Happy to help with the Intellivision.

I'd be interested to see what you have for intellivision cartridges. I found that some retailers that advertised price lists in magazines often included vapourwarw.

I'd be interested to see what you have for intellivision cartridges. I found that some retailers that advertised price lists in magazines often included vapourwarw.

Not only retailers. I have order and price lists by Mattel Germany with games like Basketball II and Motocross that were never released in Germany.

Hi Steve. Why do Major League Baseball, NFL Football, LV Poker & BJ, and Armor Battle carry 1978 copywrite dates on their respective game titles, but show as 1979 releases everywhere else. I first got my Sears Intellivison for Xmas 1980 with those 4 games plus Space Battle. I always wondered why only those 4 titles were 2 years prior in copywrite dates, and 1 year prior to many of the original carts.

Thanks,

JR

The copyright date is when the game is first designed and programmed. The release date is when Mattel first ships the cartridge for resale. In 1978 the first intellivision games were programmed. Intellivision and a few cartridges were first available for sale in 1979. Mattel shipped more cartridges in 1980, some of which were programmed in 1978 or 1979.

Are you certain you got your sears intellivision in 1980. I thought all sears intellivisions were made in hong kong.

Edited by mr_me

Ok. That makes sense. So the first four were really part of the test market as well. I remember seeing an Intellivison setup in a store called TSS which was a Long Island, Ny based store, many of which were bought by the similar styled K-Mart chain years later. I think I was 9 so it HAD to be 1979 when I first saw the Intellivison unit. My father liked it compared to the Atari, but we couldn't afford it at the time. But I still remember to this day seeing the Intellivison display and playing a quick game of Football and Armor Battle.

As for mine..no, I'm not certain. I can't remember if it was Xmas 80 or 81. It may have been 81. We got the Sears unit because my parents had a Sears charge card. Remember back then, no one had charge cards. Lol. So whatever year the Sears unit came out, that's when I got it. Any thoughts on what year it was?

Thanks!

If you look at a 1980 Sears Christmas catalog you can see if it's in there.

http://www.8-bitcentral.com/pixeldInsight/christmas-catalogs/searsWishbook80.html

The 1979 test market was suppose to be around Fresno, California but I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up elsewhere. Similarly, I knew we got our Intellivision a couple months after Christmas but wasn't sure of the year. After some investigation I'm pretty sure it was winter/spring 1982. As for NFL Football there's no evidence that it was available in 1979.

Edited by mr_me