IGNORED

Shark Byte

WAVE 1 GAMES

You know how buggy and useless rB+ is, right? It's so difficult to get anything looking smooth and good with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR9obvnb6Vk

Can't be a real project, there's no box.

Can't be. The sprites don't look like sloppily cut out stock art hastily pasted into a freely found stock background image. Where's the black outline around the chopped out sprite? Damn - the colour palette looks the same for sprites and background too. And what's this - the screen doesn't tear, the audio is in sync with the video, and holy shit. Even the collision detection works. What kind of sorcery is this?

• Like 6

I would ask how you achieved that transparency, but it appears you might have discovered it by reading the RAPTOR and/or HW Reference Manuals which explain how to use CRY mode (Can't tell, colours are a bit crap, but then that is a hallmark of CRY mode masking) + the TRANS object flag to achieve transparency.

Also WRONG. That is not how I achieved the transparency effect. I do not use CRY mode or any masking. Also how to achieve true transparency in sprites is not covered in either manual. The only thing that is covered is the state of transparency which removes black or borders from your image but as true transparency goes like for a ghost effect this is NOT covered.

I will wait for you to find it and prove me wrong

Thats not from the game. Nice try though.

No, it's too high Rez. That's the "not the box art" picture.

Since you seem unable to even spell transparent for your indiegogo campaign - it does make searching for where it was discussed a bit awkward http://atariage.com/forums/topic/270588-software-transparencies-on-the-jaguar/

Edited by Welshworrier
  • Like 2

Since you seem unable to even spell transparent for your indiegogo campaign - it does make searching for where it was discussed a bit awkward http://atariage.com/forums/topic/270588-software-transparencies-on-the-jaguar/

Oh this AA thread is one of the manuals? Silly me I must have misunderstood that manual = Atari Age forums. I guess I forgot to do the math.

Again NOT how I did it.

Oh, and your shark looks like it came from here;

https://www.canstockphoto.com.au/side-view-of-shark-isolated-on-white-3d-39731939.html

Do I get money now?

Wrong. That is not my shark. My shark is a 3D model and I animated it through sprite editing. Again nice try but you are WRONG

post-45896-0-73047300-1559099584.png

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

You are aware that a single = is an assignments and not a comparison? As such your statement makes even less sense.

The word animation also does not mean what you think it does - have you actually seen your video? Or the one from the week before? What animation is the shark showing?

• Like 2

You are aware that a single = is an assignments and not a comparison? As such your statement makes even less sense.

The word animation also does not mean what you think it does - have you actually seen your video? Or the one from the week before? What animation is the shark showing?

Um... BITING? It's a biting animation.

Also WRONG. That is not how I achieved the transparency effect. I do not use CRY mode or any masking.

Yeah. You just make every other pixel transparent, i.e. using a 1x1 pixel checkerboard pattern.

How do I know? Because if you look closely at the video, rainbow artifacts show up in translucent areas. That's what happen when you use this technique and the video output is composite or RF.

And it's nothing new:

(from 4:05)

• Like 5

If transparency of a few bubbles and of a few "words in the middle of the screen" is what makes this game tick .... I'm afraid we are back in WTF territory.

Make the game fun to play, transparencies are like the icing on a cake ... you need the cake first .. which needs layers of goodness ... which needs the right and quality ingredients etc....

I really hope this is not gonna end up in the usual way ... time will tell, to be fair there's enough to think it actually will but there's also hope.

Given the demo says that what it shows is NOT the game-play I really hope the game is not a rehash of FF64 (in style or substance).

• Like 3

This thread reminds me of the scene in the movie Spinal Tap, where they are discussing the review for their album "Shark Sandwich"...

Edited by ls650
  • Like 1

If transparency of a few bubbles and of a few "words in the middle of the screen" is what makes this game tick .... I'm afraid we are back in WTF territory.

Make the game fun to play, transparencies are like the icing on a cake ... you need the cake first .. which needs layers of goodness ... which needs the right and quality ingredients etc....

I really hope this is not gonna end up in the usual way ... time will tell, to be fair there's enough to think it actually will but there's also hope.

Given the demo says that what it shows is NOT the game-play I really hope the game is not a rehash of FF64 (in style or substance).

I wasn't going to say anything because I really don't feel like the shit storm of trolling pouring on, but I HAVE to respond to this. This forum IS for discussion after all.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on your logic here.

Allow me to explain for the sake of discussion:

You are suggesting that I do NOT focus on graphics and build the game first.

That is not how at works. AT ALL.

Sure I could make the game and add 2600 style blocks as place holders and then insert the graphics and different effects AFTER the core gameplay is ready, but nobody does it that way.

I will explain why:

If I already know going in that I want 30 types of fish (that is a random number I pulled out of nowhere not what I want), transparent bubbles/blood/text effects, parallax environments as well as semi-photorealistic environments, and X amount of sounds and X amount of music tracks then I need to be sure that is something I am actually capable of doing. The music is not so much important, but the sound effects and graphics are very much so.

Why you ask? Suppose one of the levels I have an idea for takes place entirely in glass tubes kind of like that Earthworm jim level (I think there is a Crash Bandicoot level like this too)

Well how am I going to know if I have room for the sprites? How will I know if the graphics are going to tear or not if I haven't already tested the different elements on screen together before going in and setting up the actual level? How will I know that I have enough space to store everything? How will I know if the transparent effect of the glass tube will display the way I want it to when a puffer fish comes into view?

I'll give you another example. Look at CJ's Lunar Lander/Gravitar type project. He is not going in with just plain ordinary 2600 blocks and then adding the types of graphics later when the game is built. No, he knows what type of graphics he wants and he is already using them NOW and the game is far from finished. He knows how everything is going to display and that it will display correctly.

Let's go back to your logic again:

You said bubbles are like icing on a cake and you need the good stuff first right? Well I'm not about to make a cake without eggs either. Anyway if you use that logic when you come to the kitchen to bake you already have ALL of your ingredients on the table before you start prepping. You don't run out to the store and buy the frosting AFTER the cake is already baked and cooling, that would be madness. Also if I am making a German Chocolate cake I already know ahead of time that I want the coconut icing why wouldn't I already have it on hand? What if I don't get gluten free and somebody else who is eating is mad at me? Or what if I buy the cheap brand at the last minute and it ruins the whole cake? Better know what I'm getting into ahead of time I think.

Now sure there may be additional graphics and sounds and stuff that I want to add later after the game part of the project is in full bloom. Thats fine, but there are certain things I KNOW I want in the game going into the project. (transparent bubbles and blood are some of those things) I might as well have the bulk of the graphics and sounds I want ready and then build a functioning game out of that.

So I think there is a bit of confusion as to what I am showing and what I am stating.

Let's clear these things up for all of the hate and insanity that is sure to come pouring in following this post:

*I'm making a game revolving around a shark. I'm starting out by getting all of my graphics and sounds ready and then I'm diving into setting up the actual game.

I have never done it in this order before, and I feel that this is the better way to do it. (pre-asset management =less headache later)

*I am still not finished working on all of the graphics at this point.

*I have NOT made a box. That is a mock up of what the box MAY look like that somebody else made.

*I did not make the grand claim that I stumbled onto the secrets of the Jaguar hardware and unlocked the true 64bitness in all of its raw glory. I simply stated that I have achieved true transparency, and I DID using a trick I learned back on a Windows 98 PC and The Games Factory/Click and Create. Honestly I am happy with the effect and I think its fantastic.

*The people are fully clothed because a cruise ship has sank and they are all overboard. There is a story being written for this game. There will be cows involved in said story..

*The video shown above is Fast Food 64:Holiday Snacks with the Shark Byte graphics on top. That's what it is that's all that it is at this point.

*Shark Byte WILL be made FROM Holiday Snacks. "Oh god you're just reskinning the same old shit" NO I AM NOT. This game will not play at all like FF64HS.

The only similarities between the 2 games will be that you can move around on the screen and you will eat things.

*I do not have a release date for the game as somebody made their very clever joke of "next week" however as you can see from the blue shell campaign I am aiming to get it done before the end of August. This is MY goal, it doesn't mean I will actually be finished and release the game then, it's my goal that I set for me and the project and doesn't really require an explanation of any sorts despite what some people may imply or impose.

*The following statements will be my attempt to explain the vision of the game that I have in my head and am in the process of making now. Although I'm sure Zerosquare, Welshworrier, Madman, Stephen, CJ, Sauron, Gummy Bear, and agradeneu will go out of their way to troll me with whatever I say next and turn it into some diabolical cheap cut and paste steal money and take over a small third world country scheme. I'm all for discussion, but explaining my every move and design decision to a group of internet trolls is a bit unnecessary and a waste of my time that I could be spending on the project.

Anyway here is the idea:

This game will be mission based and have layouts for each level, meaning if a blue shirt guy swims into the scene and goes off screen to the left another blue shirt guy will NOT pop up instantly on the other side. You will never know what is coming until you get to it here, and it will not be just eating people.

You will need to complete a different task each level and the goal is that no 2 levels will have you doing the same thing. Some examples include: Eat 30 blue shirts in 60 seconds, find the treasure, avoid the mines, navigate the electric eel maze, catch all of the cows being thrown in the ocean in 1 minute 20 seconds, defeat the octopus and find the diamond... things like that.

There will only be one powerup in the whole game. The Megaladon shark transformation that will allow you to eat pretty much anything and bust through pretty much any obstacle for a short period of time.

The game will also have a rewards system similar to what I did with ANTS. After completing certain objectives you will be able to unlock different special options that can alter the gameplay. You will be able to toggle these options on or off at anytime once unlocked. The different options can all be mixed and matched up to create various different styles of play. In previous games my big thing was the modes, but I don't like different modes anymore and I think giving the player stuff to tinker with on the fly is more rewarding. So I want one of the core focuses here to be unlocking game changing options. People love unlocking stuff it is what made Smash Bros such a smash. I do not know if I will include the save chip option for this or not.

As I just stated I do not like different modes anymore, but there will be 3 modes of play. The regular game mode, The Virtual Aquarium which will be an aquarium that you can cycle through different aquatic species and drop food to feed them/interact with them. And the music test mode.

I do not know how many levels there will be in the game but I do have a good number of them already planned on paper.

So that is what this post is all about. I just wanted to show off some of the cool graphics I have made for this project and get a real discussion going on the shark game idea I have. There is nothing wrong with showing off a concept or discussing a project, that is what the forums are for, and it certainly doesn't warrant the trolling from "the usual crowd"

You know I have gotten 6 PMs about the shark byte concept since I posted here? People who were genuinely interested in the idea and wanted to know more. I guess they were scared to post here because they would get trolled too I'm not sure.

One more thing before I close this giant wall of text, The Aqua Blue Transparent Indiegogo shell campaign that keeps getting name dropped.

Yes the rumors are true. I am trying to raise funds for transparent blue shells. FOR THIS GAME. "Oooooooh no! But Jeff how could you? You haven't even finished the game and you are talking about what color cart it will be on????" Um, WHY NOT? WHY THE HELL NOT? IT IS WHAT I WANT. That's what I did for Frogz and now the overstock is being used for Dizzy and TMNT ports. That's what I did for JagZombies and we have other games on red carts now. Why not add a new color to the spectrum? Why not???? At what point was a rule written that stated that you can not plan ahead for things like colored cart shells unless you have a finished game? Who made that rule? Who said that so I can smack him? "But Jeff you need to focus on the game, not the cart shell, you can't focus on both, it's too hard for you to pick a color option when you should be coding..." Yeah I am not retarded and know what color cart I want. That doesn't impact the design of the actual game at all.

The thing is I was planning on selling whatever overstock I had to the community so the aqua color shells can be used for other games, if the campaign fails I will just refund the people who did back it and buy a very low quantity of them that will be produced at an injection molding company right here in Charlotte NC. If that happens, I won't be selling ANY overstock as there won't be any and that color cart will be exclusive to this game only. So yeah I want transparent blue shells for this game, poke fun all you want in the end I will have them.

Anyway as far as big boy pants being put on I think whoever said that should take their own advice. All I did was post a topic for discussion about a game idea I have but instead of doing that here we have the usual trolling (just like a 12 year old boy would) followed by the usual "In before the lock" and "lock it up. lock it up" chanting. Seems like a Trump rally to me.

AND BTW phoenixdownita I am not picking a fight with you. I genuinely just wanted to discuss the direction of the game as you stated that all the game was at the core was bubbles. lol that's just silly.

Just some constructive criticism. I always found Fast Food style games on the 2600 incredibly boring and generic, even as a kid in the 80’s, and especially so in modern times. Maybe come up with something more interesting and fun to play?

Yeah I am. Its not going to be like fast food. Not at all.

*The following statements will be my attempt to explain the vision of the game that I have in my head and am in the process of making now. Although I'm sure Zerosquare, Welshworrier, Madman, Stephen, CJ, Sauron, Gummy Bear, and agradeneu will go out of their way to troll me with whatever I say next and turn it into some diabolical cheap cut and paste steal money and take over a small third world country scheme. I'm all for discussion, but explaining my every move and design decision to a group of internet trolls is a bit unnecessary and a waste of my time that I could be spending on the project.

Oh, you're keeping a list now. If you were half as diligent in tracking the bugs in your games as you are in tracking those on here who offer negative feedback about your extremely buggy games, well...there would be little for us to complain about.

• Like 7

He truly is the great panjandrum - hes got a little list.....

To pose a few questions then:

1. You say its a graphic demo, yet say its a gameplay demo in other locations. Which is it?

2. You say you dont have a box design, yet again you announce in different locations that whos prepared for this f@cking bad boy using the same artwork to advertise. Which is it?

3. The rumoured indiegogo campaign is in your signature block, the amount of backers should give you an indication of the actual interest I.e. none. Since it has now morphed into a buy these carts for 60 dollars campaign do you think it is ethical to sell other peoples work to profit?

4. You state that the reason for the characters being clothed is due to a cruise accident, as all the characters in the video are male are you trying to corner the pink dollar market now you have exhausted the goodwill of the jaguar market?

5. Does your game design really come down to transparency and blood effect?

6. You state it will not just be a reskin of ff64 holiday edition, yet also state it will be based on it I.e. moving a sprite to eat some things while avoiding others. Which is it?

7. Will you answer any of the earlier questions e.g. did you post a video of jag boxing that showed graphics that could not be part of the game?

• Like 3

He truly is the great panjandrum - hes got a little list.....

To pose a few questions then:

1. You say its a graphic demo, yet say its a gameplay demo in other locations. Which is it?

2. You say you dont have a box design, yet again you announce in different locations that whos prepared for this f@cking bad boy using the same artwork to advertise. Which is it?

3. The rumoured indiegogo campaign is in your signature block, the amount of backers should give you an indication of the actual interest I.e. none. Since it has now morphed into a buy these carts for 60 dollars campaign do you think it is ethical to sell other peoples work to profit?

4. You state that the reason for the characters being clothed is due to a cruise accident, as all the characters in the video are male are you trying to corner the pink dollar market now you have exhausted the goodwill of the jaguar market?

5. Does your game design really come down to transparency and blood effect?

6. You state it will not just be a reskin of ff64 holiday edition, yet also state it will be based on it I.e. moving a sprite to eat some things while avoiding others. Which is it?

7. Will you answer any of the earlier questions e.g. did you post a video of jag boxing that showed graphics that could not be part of the game?

1. It is a graphic demo only showing a good portion of the graphics that will be used in the final product

2. I do not have a box only a mock up that I did not make. I wasn't aware self promotion was wrong

3. These prototype roms have been available for download for ages now on the internet, since the JSII days I believe? Whats wrong with offering it to people on cart now?

4. All of the characters are not male, you have only seen 2 characters. There are 3 female characters. I don't see the point of this question. Should I also include a trans gender?

5. No my game design does not come down to transparency effects. I mapped out the plans for the game in the wall of text above. Pay attention and keep up

6. It will not be just a reskin of Holiday Snacks but I will be using Holiday Snacks as the starting point for the code base here. Why? Because that code base contains many of the elements already in place that I need. These include a PAUSE function, music test mode, changeable options screen, working BUG FREE menu system, and player movement. I know this is a difficult concept for you to understand so let me explain it a little better for you: A reskin would be the same overall game with different graphics swapped out. This will be an entirely new game with much more substance built using Holiday Snacks as the starting point. Think of Body Harvest on N64. This games core code base was later repurposed to create Grand Theft Auto III and then again later for Grand Theft Auto Vice City. Now is GTA3 and GTA VC just a reskin of Body Harvest? I think not.

7. I think I answered all of your qustions yet there is another one entangled inside of this one like some sort of riddle... I will try my best to answer this. I did show graphics for JagBoxing. They were not running on Jaguar hardware, I do not believe I stated that they were. You are saying that these graphics can not be done on Jaguar however that is only your opinion. I am converting those graphics over to Jaguar friendly format just as I did with the 3d model animations of the swimmers here.

8. (BONUS ROUND) You guys keep saying ALL of my games are full of bugs. ALL of them? Are you sure? It's cute how the existence of Holiday Snacks is just straight up ignored. lol Perhaps Machine could shed some light here and let everyone know how his copy of Holiday Snacks holds up and if it suffers from the game crippling bugs of Wave 1 Games old days? Or if it is in fact bug free?

Gosh Welshworrier, I feel like I'm on trial with you every time you post something. Are you a judge or a lawyer? Is that your profession?

I just want to make my shark game Welshy. Don't be like that

Oh, you're keeping a list now. If you were half as diligent in tracking the bugs in your games as you are in tracking those on here who offer negative feedback about your extremely buggy games, well...there would be little for us to complain about.

Yes I like calling you boys out since you all play so nice together. I just think it's a shame that 6 people were interested in the project but didn't feel comfortable posting here so they messaged me in private. I was just talking with the Heavy metal Gamer the other day about this. I will say one thing, you guys stick together that's for sure! That is saying something for friendship right there. How many years has it been? Too bad about the hostile environment you create for anyone else who isn't in your clique tho. Hey how come you aren't a moderator anymore? You get tired of locking threads in the Jaguar section all of the time for your buddy? I'm just curious about that, it's not really relevant to the topic and you don't have to answer the question if it makes you feel uncomfortable. I understand, I wouldn't want any of you guys to feel uncomfortable.