Hi

i have been / being playing around with Outrun, trying to optimizing the game, i have been posting about it on AF and on Facebook.

forgot to post it here so i better have to do it if some of you don't use AF or Facebook :D

the idea behind it. was/is to see how the US gold version of outrun could have run on the ST, if it had got some more love.

but in the middle of the process i started using the Blitter, so now plane ST i out of the pictures :D

original version with a frame counter

post-34034-0-63733500-1558985266.png

here is a picture of the modded version.

post-34034-0-96597800-1558985327_thumb.png

right now you would need a ST running about 15 mhz to run about the same as the optimized version, but there should probably still be some more speed gain in it.

download link for the modded version

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsodbzwgbmkhzm9/Outrun.zip?dl=0

here is a link to the original version / and source code, i have add a frame counter to it :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dkyffceuckuhvy/FrameST.zip?dl=0

Edited by fedepede04
  • Like 2

here is a video that showing the modded version in action, its a little older version, that last version is about one frame faster in the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L3RPJu_vug

here is a video that show the original version against the modded version, in this version the modded version is even older.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL6CVxdZPN8

Edited by fedepede04
  • Like 1

Tested little with Steem Debugger. At 60 Hz . Great improvement. Framerate is about 12-15 fps, vs. some 6-8 with original code.

Will test later on Mega STE - at 50 and 60 Hz, and at 16 MHz CPU too, although that should not boost much, since blitter runs not faster then.

Permission to add this in HAGA hard disk adaptations ?

if i set steem to 16mhz.it do a lot.

i don't think the blitter is the major factor here, the game engine is very bad made, it use a tons of mulu,muls, divu, divs, lsr8,lsl8 so its not optimized for game.

i have manage to reduce some of them, but the code still have a lot to slow it down, but i think it need to have some of the code replace with new routine to make it rune even faster :D

you have my full Permission to share it :D

and also a big thanks to you, i have replaces the random routines in the game with the one you posted here at Atariage :D

Love the video with the midi music. Any chance to get these in the game using a Roland mt32?

many thx, ill probably stop working on this project soon, the road routine its simply to bad coded, i have analyzed how the road is made and printed, but i can't see how i can replaced with a more optimal one.

i will soon release my optimized code, so other can take over. but i do think the midi music part is a cool idea, so hope full other can add this.

/ Peter

No the game don't support it natively. The video linked above was overlayed with midi music. So the ife came to mind it would be cool these tracks could be used in game when using a Roland midi device like some Sierra games did (latty3, kq4, sq3)

• Like 1

like CD-i said there are no native midi music in the game.

but i do have all the music as SMF midi files, so i don't think is impossible to add the score, maybe one have to convert them to some native format.that is more simple and light then SMF format.

btw Peter did you had the chance to test it on you mega STE?

Edited by fedepede04

did you guys know

that with the PC game 'Quake'

if you push the " ~ " (tilde i believe it's called)

and type 'TIMEREFRESH"

the 'puter will give you the FPS (frames per second)

of your system?

i have about 2000 laptops and i do this all the time

:D

• Like 1

did you guys know

that with the PC game 'Quake'

if you push the " ~ " (tilde i believe it's called)

and type 'TIMEREFRESH"

the 'puter will give you the FPS (frames per second)

of your system?

i have about 2000 laptops and i do this all the time

:D

i use to loved the PC, when it was using DOS, it was a great time, nearly as great as the Atari :D

i would not know about the "~" i have not played a old PC game for ages, last i think i played was Master of the Orion.

Everything goes 2x faster when Steem is set to 16 MHz - RAM, blitter. In Mega STE RAM speed remains same, CPU works faster mostly because cache, and RAM intensive operations are not much faster. Blitter works very tight with RAM, and to make it faster should use faster RAM too.

Thanks Peter that makes good sense, but i had still hope it would help more on the average FPS...

fast update text copy from Atari-Forum

Been working on the object code the last couple of days, to make it ready for the arcade car.
not finish yet, but there have been some good progress (not all car sprite have been change yet).
so i thought that i would share with you guys :-D

Edited by fedepede04
  • Like 2

Looks really good compared to the original - well done, one thing I did notice is the new car seems to be scaled a little large compared to the other traffic (and maybe the screen play area?). As the other cars and lorries go past you they look about half the size of the players car, but I can't remember whether the original game was the same - perhaps you are planning to replace them as well though?

As for the silver fox riding shotgun,to paraphrase the words on the Chequered Flag Jaguar box, this is a drive to Grandmas ;)

It the same with the original ST farrari. The new one is about the same width as the old one, but it's a little higher. The problem is that all the objects are missing the full size sprite, so when you are closest to an object, it's only around 66% of the sprite original size. I don't know if they did this for saving spaces of power, maybe both.

• Like 1