Both of you please feel better.

mksmith, is there any way I can help?

Bob, thanks! Mike has suggested I try a couple of things which I will look at today. Once I get that sorted we can see where we are at.

More than happy for any assistance!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

RevEng has been very kind in working on a solution to aid with rendering using sprites instead of tiles (issues around playfield width and the amounts of tiles and colors). I'll look at incorporating this into the game over the next day or so and get a new build up once this is complete.

Edited by mksmith
  • Like 6

I will do the music and sound if you want. POKEY sound ok?

Also, I had some ideas for increasing your color resolution. This is a trick I used in my Sky Scraper demo where you double buffer the character set and flip it every frame. This allows 10 colors per palette per character in 160A, and the same in 320B if you turn on Kangaroo mode. You have to watch your color selection to minimize flickering but it gets good results.

• Like 3

Synthpopalooza,

Definitely that would be awesome! Sound is not my thing!!

RevEng has been working with me to convert pretty much everything into sprites (he has kindly provided some assembly to change brick palettes, visibility etc) as I was running out of render time in 160B. I've started incorporating these changes back into the game but are still playing with a few things. Let me get back to where I was up to and we can take a further look.

This is starting to turn into a real collaborative effort! RevEng and PacManPlus have already given me great help with code and guidance and if you are more than happy to jump on-board that would be much appreciated!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Jinks said:

Is there any files to download to try the game on real hardware yet? Only images are in the first post.

Jinks, they are attached to the first post but I guess with the change-over of the forums they are still being recovered.

Saying that I've been working on rebuilding source with the changes provided by RevEng and having just re-added the pill drops we now appear to moved past the visual artifacts we were getting with the prior version!  I hope to finish cleaning up everything toward the end of the week and will post a new release either then or once we get the attachment features back on the forum.  Still a way to go but we can progress with more confidence! 

• Like 6

Still working away slowly... I've needed to go back and review the bank layout to try and fit the playfield and background (4 done, 1 for the DOH level left) images into a separate bank but still make sure rendering works correctly (starting to get a better understanding - thanks Mike!).  Looks like we've got that sorted now so hopefully back to where were shortly but in a much better position to add the additional pill and other features required to finish the game.  

• Like 5

On 6/2/2019 at 7:30 AM, mksmith said:

Good luck on your recoveries guys. Hopefully we can put together something worthwhile to play ?

Thanks so much. Got sprung from my second hospital stay in four weeks last night. A build of Arkanoid is something to get one's spirits up!

Exciting work being done here by you mksmith and you've got some legends on the homewbrew scene helping out with ideas. Arkanoid is a favorite of mine so I'm completely pumped! 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, DracIsBack said:

Thanks so much. Got sprung from my second hospital stay in four weeks last night. A build of Arkanoid is something to get one's spirits up!

Exciting work being done here by you mksmith and you've got some legends on the homewbrew scene helping out with ideas. Arkanoid is a favorite of mine so I'm completely pumped! 

DracIsBack - hope you are going well!  Hopefully soon! Been flatout with work and kids the past week or so which has delayed me a little + working through banking!  

Definitely very lucky to have the guys helping me along! A great community here!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Tried to work on music yesterday and got sidelined.  Will try again tomorrow.

Synthpopalooza - all good mate no rush! Very grateful for your help!

• Like 2

Hi everyone, new build attached (unfortunately I cannot edit the main post currently).

Changes:

• New sprite system and palettes (replaces tiles for the playfield) - thanks RevEng!
  • All 4 main backgrounds
  • 20 levels (bricks only)
  • Level intro, game over messages full (full text)
  • Lives indicator
  • Paddle and joystick compatibility

Everything is really the same but the backend has had major rework and is making better use of bankswitching etc.  I've got the basic pills process in place (drops them as a test) so will get that done and the paddle explosion for the next release.

• Like 7

Just a quick update. Have further completed the following:

• added all levels (32) which are fully playable (bricks only)
  • added specific game over screen
  • fixed the scoring to work correctly
  • additional lives at 20,000 and then every 60,000
  • created all sprites for laser and wide paddles (including transitions) - bank 8 is full with the help of dmahole!
  • moved all playfield sprites together into the rendering bank 2 (might still cause some grief with space down the track when I add more code - my plan to split code across bank 1/2 caused some rendering problems - TBC)

Next up I need to change the paddle layout/positioning to work with all the new animations and widths (work from the centre of the paddle rather then the left edge). Once that is done then we can transition between the various paddle states when collecting pills. Also hoping to add animations to the grey/good blocks.

I also looked at adding the intro but the font is too big for the text. Got a few options: leave out, just look at adding the ship image (with animations??) or look at a smaller font.

Coming together nicely. Hopefully another build up soon ?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You could probably reuse the hiscore font for 320A text. You can split the screen into different modes using a topscreenroutine. Essentially an interrupt calls your custom subroutine at the top of the screen, and from within you can set the graphics mode, wait for a certain number of scanlines to pass, and change the graphics mode again. There's an example in the 7800basic samples directory. [edit - its called "splitmodedemo", and it demonstrates a 320A to 160A split]

The only catch is the topscreenroutine will be present for all of your game, so anything you do for the animation needs to be conditional, so it only runs during the animation segment.

• Like 4