2 hours ago, Trebor said:

Still going to need a conversion (4000-->450), for the latest.   

Really appreciate these test cases though - finding them mutually beneficial.

No problem 

That table I included can be most helpful.  It seems the issues arise when using distortions other than $Ax in 16-bit mode (AUDCTL=$50).  I tried values from $2x and $Cx (12a and 12b) and got inaccurate results every time.  I may try writing a program that steps through the notes in the emulator for purposes of testing.

I still need to update that table also for the 8-bit mode that lets you use higher notes.

• Like 2

Very close! I've just completed the main bullet collision code and tidied up a few other things that have been added over the past few days. Just need to finalise a couple more things. Very soon promise ?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mksmith said:

If you mean for saving scores?? Going to look at that stuff shortly.

SaveKey\AtariVox support would be great. Albert is fully stocked with them in the store so it's the easiest and cheapest save option for the 7800 :) 

For $15 you can't go wrong. High Score Cart save function is nice and all but very few people own High Score Carts and even fewer own a Cuttle Cart 2. Sure the XM will have HSC functionality but who knows then that is ever going to make it to the masses. As it stands, the SaveKey is the most logical choice based on both price and availability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

If the 7800basic hiscore routines are used, there's no reason to choose. HSC and Atarivox/Savekey are supported out of the box.

The magic of 7800basic ???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RevEng said:

If the 7800basic hiscore routines are used, there's no reason to choose. HSC and Atarivox/Savekey are supported out of the box.

Of course, I'm just speaking towards what form of saving is more readily available is all :)

• Like 1

Ok, new release is now available:

• Completed Title/High Score, Intro and Game Over screens
  • Fully accompanied by music and sound effects by @Synthpopalooza ???
  • Paddle support should be fully completed and working - confirmation would be great
  • Full laser capsule support (bullets!)
  • New game font
  • Lots of changes and other enhancements

Been squeezing in some extra sounds today and finalising a couple of things so sorry for the delay.  The game is really started to come to life now - we'll keep pushing on!

Note: High Score support is yet to be completed.

• Like 10

Really loving this latest release.  The sound is excellent with all the previous in-between static/pops during the melodies gone.  Synthpopalooza worked his magic again, bravo.  Fantastic that Defender_2600's ship made it into the game and it looks absolutely spectacular.  Par for the course with his usual graphical expertise and down to a science perfection in comparison and scaling from the original.  Awesome that some additional inspiration was provided to rework the font as well.  While I do love Defender_2600's font, what has been included looks great too and wonderfully improves upon what was present previously in the game; very well done.

Enjoy the fully working capsules including shooting and a morphing Vaus - just excellent.  Most importantly, mksmith, and really from out of the gate, the main gameplay is perfect.  The speed at which the ball travels and the speed at which Vaus moves (when the button is held down), is marvelously tweaked for being both enjoyable to maneuver and remain fairly challenging.  That is a difficult balance to achieve with breakout type games, especially making allowance for joystick/gamepad controls, and you really nailed it brilliantly.

Your're putting more shine on this game than a pair of patent leather loafers...very cool, and thank you!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Really loving this latest release.  The sound is excellent with all the previous in-between static/pops during the melodies gone.  Synthpopalooza worked his magic again, bravo.  Fantastic that Defender_2600's ship made it into the game and it looks absolutely spectacular.  Par for the course with his usual graphical expertise and down to a science perfection in comparison and scaling from the original.  Awesome that some additional inspiration was provided to rework the font as well.  While I do love Defender_2600's font, what has been included looks great too and wonderfully improves upon what was present previously in the game; very well done.

Enjoy the fully working capsules including shooting and a morphing Vaus - just excellent.  Most importantly, mksmith, and really from out of the gate, the main gameplay is perfect.  The speed at which the ball travels and the speed at which Vaus moves (when the button is held down), is marvelously tweaked for being both enjoyable to maneuver and remain fairly challenging.  That is a difficult balance to achieve with breakout type games, especially making allowance for joystick/gamepad controls, and you really nailed it brilliantly.

Your're putting more shine on this game than a pair of patent leather loafers...very cool, and thank you!

@Trebor Thank you very much for your feedback! Whilst we still have a quite a few things left to work on (especially finalising the ball collision), I think everyone helping wants to make this a great game to play on the 7800 and showcase what can be achieved.  Presentation is also a big one for me and I really like re-creating the arcade experience and making sure it looks and sounds as perfect as it can for the platform. @Defender_2600 did a brilliant job on the ship - I was just starting to look at it and certainly doubt a could have done anywhere near as good as was achieved. Very appreciative of his contribution!

I also want to help prove that 7800basic is a tool that can make great games and hopefully inspire more people to start using it. @RevEng has done a brilliant job for non-assembly programmers like me who grew up on using AMOS, BlitzBasic etc

Edited by mksmith
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Another new release is now available:

• Finalised warp mode (with animation and sound effects) - Collect the 'B' capsule to activate the level warp gate.
  • Added some sounds to the title screen when changing options and starting.
  • Reduced the likelihood of receiving the 'P' (Extra Life) and 'B' (Break) capsules and also added a chance that a capsule won't drop.
  • Got a little further with the intro animations (more to do!)
  • Little cleanup of the music and sound process and code.  The music player now checks for a POKEY before playing so it should now work on real hardware without the chip (no music will play currently).

• Like 8

Make a good start on the DOH level today whilst watching the Stella-a-thon:

arkanoid-doh.thumb.png.71ac07e700e678caa61448a3b4565560.png

All the basic mechanics are in as I had to work all this into a new bank to fit the DOH head in - the existing bank won't take any more.  We also have another great tune from Synthpopalooza to listen too! Anyway, next up is to add the DOH head, then the spewing objects.

• Like 4

@Jinks I'll put one up soon ?

Do you have a way to play on hardware? I've added a check to ensure the POKEY is detected so it should play the game just not the music. Also currently runs great in A7800.

• Like 1