Thanks.  

About that last bin ... it uses an obscure POKEY and SKCTL setting which only works on real hardware, not on emulation.  On the 8-bit computer this was used to generate modem carriers, DTMF tones, floppy disk beeps, etc.  Channel 1 is silenced and controls frequency, channel 0 is a modulator.  This can produce SID type sounds.

Thanks.  

About that last bin ... it uses an obscure POKEY and SKCTL setting which only works on real hardware, not on emulation.  On the 8-bit computer this was used to generate modem carriers, DTMF tones, floppy disk beeps, etc.  Channel 1 is silenced and controls frequency, channel 0 is a modulator.  This can produce SID type sounds.

3 hours ago, Albert said:

Excellent!  I just fired this up on a real console, and of course I had to use paddles.  I ran into this issue pretty quickly and was going to report it!  I didn't have POKEY audio so I couldn't hear the music, but the sound effects are all good, the game looks great, and it plays very well!  I've always enjoyed Arkanoid, so it's damn cool to see it on the 7800. Really excited to see how this continues to develop.  :)

One thing I noticed.  If you don't have a controller plugged in when the game boots up, it immediately starts a game!  I didn't realize right away that you had to plug the paddles into the second controller port.  Once I did that and had a joystick plugged into the first port, everything was good.  But would be nice if the errant behavior when a controller isn't plugged in is fixed.

Also, I like that with a joystick controller you can hit the second controller button to speed up the paddle.  I was going to complain that the paddle was moving too slow until I discovered this.  Very nice!

Keep up the great work!

..Al

2 hours ago, Trebor said:

I find myself holding the button the entire game with joystick controls.  Perhaps the behavior should be reversed.  Press the button to slow Vaus down, no button held and its speed reflects what is currently set with the button held.

If such was implemented, for those that don't care to utilize a slowed Vaus, it opens the door to being able to use a favorite one button controller too.

2 hours ago, Albert said:

I concur.  When using a joystick, I would always hold down the button.

Edit: This could always be added as an option as well, "Default Paddle Speed: [Fast | Slow]"

..Al

I actually only just changed the button configuration once the laser was completed but really the movement is probably the number 1 behaviour of the game! I really hadn't thought of the single button controller but I guess not everyone may have the 2 button one nowadays!)  What I was thinking was to update the joystick controller options to:

• Joystick (1 button) - this will do both the speed control and laser [i was thinking this may have unintended consequence moving faster when firing but don't think there is another option]
  • Joypad (2 buttons) - speed on button 1 and fire on button 2 (reverse layout of current)

The speed option is also a consideration - let me know your thoughts.  Maybe we can test them both over the next few weeks.  

I could also add some gfx (or another screen in the title area) to show the button configurations? Will think about that.

The no controller issue is a strange one! I'll see what I can do to add any additional checks for this.

• Like 3

Update: I've just added the new joystick/joypad option outlined above and it works pretty well on first go. Will be in the next release ?

Edited by mksmith
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Maybe you missed my question, how much RAM do you actually use?

Sorry @CPUWIZ! We are currently using a 128kb ROM.  Ram? 7800basic can set aside $4000-7fff. I hope that answers your question??

Edited by mksmith

Sorry mate - new to most of this stuff!! @RevEng Mike can you help with this one??

I am using the 128kRAM selection but I can change that to 128k by the looks.  We need extra ram for the DL as the base wasn't enough.  Here is my configuration if that helps:

set romsize 128kRAM
 set dlmemory $4000 $4fff

rem RAM
 rem brickram stores the color of the brick
 rem brickhitram stores the number of hits required to remove a brick
 rem brickcapsuleram stores the bricks where capsules can be dropped
 dim brickram = $2200             ; (11*16-176bytes/$b0)
 dim brickhitram = $22b0          ; (11*16-176bytes/$b0)
 dim brickcapsuleram = $2360      ; (11*16-176bytes/$b0)

rem POKEY/Music 
 dim TUNEAREA = $2600             ; Can work with above
 dim POKEYADR = $450

Edited by mksmith
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RevEng said:

The 128kRAM format has 16k ram (from 4000-7FFF). If you're only using the extra RAM for the DL now, it looks like you're actually using 4K of that.

Thanks, Al wants me to run this on my board, because! 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, RevEng said:

The 128kRAM format has 16k ram (from 4000-7FFF). If you're only using the extra RAM for the DL now, it looks like you're actually using 4K of that.

If we can make things easier is their anything we can change here?

39 minutes ago, mksmith said:

If we can make things easier is their anything we can change here?

If you can free up any used memory from $22e4 to $27ff, then you can use "set extradlmemory on", and change to "set romsize 128k". That will give you 20 objects per zone, which should be enough.

• Like 2

Here's the updated binaries for my attempt at that arkanoid 2 level start theme using the SKCTLS setting.

I've included versions with POKEY both at $4000 and $450.  They will not work on emulation.  Prosystem plays it out of tune, and A7800 not at all.  Would be very keen to hear if it plays accurately on real HW.

arkanoid2-levelstart.A78 arkanoid2-levelstart.asm arkanoid2-levelstart.bin arkanoid2-levelstart-450.A78 arkanoid2-levelstart-450.asm arkanoid2-levelstart-450.bin

• Like 2

My setup is in flux right now, because I am working on something more powerful, than the MCP in it's current state.  So I am pretty sure, Trebor can run arkanoid2-levelstart-450.bin.

I did mention before, that BIN's don't need to be signed on my cart, right?