Hi everyone, please find a new build attached with the following changes:

• Added DOH level - though missing the spewing objects but otherwise complete.  Thanks to @Defender_2600 for the DOH head (in 6 colors!)
  • Added a new controller option: joystick (for one button controls).  The button will now both speed the vaus movement and fire the laser as required.
  • Updated the joypad controller to restore the previous button configuration (button 1 - speed move, button 2 - fire laser)
  • Updated the ball to match the arcade (cyan centre)
  • Change of cart structure to remove the additional RAM requirements
  • Bit of internal restructuring to centralise some core functions for access across multiple banks

With the large internal change to remove the RAM requirements if you are using A7800 to play the game you will need to activate the XM Expansion Module cart to hear the POKEY sound for the time being:

command line:
a7800 a7800 -cart1 xm -cart2 arkanoid.bas.a78

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the latest ROM.  I played a couple of games on real hardware (via Mateos cart) and can confirm the following are working:

• The Break (B) capsule opens the warp gate, when playing in Paddle mode
  • Updated the joypad controller to restore the previous button configuration (button 1 - speed move, button 2 - fire laser)
    • I did not get around to testing with a one button joystick, but will do so later

Can't wait for the enemies too, as my ball got stuck on level 12.  Game is looking really good and playing well on actual hardware.:thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't know the arcade version does this, but I remember the Apple II version would sometimes change the ball's deflection off a brick after so many iterations of an apparent loop, to prevent stuck balls like the one sramirez2008 ran into.  The aliens wouldn't help in that case because the aliens don't move through bricks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FujiSkunk said:

I don't know the arcade version does this, but I remember the Apple II version would sometimes change the ball's deflection off a brick after so many iterations of an apparent loop, to prevent stuck balls like the one sramirez2008 ran into.  The aliens wouldn't help in that case because the aliens don't move through bricks.

:thumbsup:  Yeah, maybe the game can count the number of bounces the ball makes without touching the paddle, and past some threshold, start gently messing with the angle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Trebor said:

Here's a fast 'taste', demo-unlisted, video with just a few beginning rounds:

Wow...the sounds are amazing!  Put me down for a cart.  

@mksmith and all who have helped, you have ruined Breakout/Super Breakout for me.  I’ve always liked this game and am thankful that your efforts are bringing this to the 7800.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jinks said:

Dude wheres the vid??

5 hours ago, Trebor said:

Here's a fast 'taste', demo-unlisted, video with just a few beginning rounds:

Sorry was going to do one today @Jinks Thank you @Trebor for putting one together!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Albert said:

The ball looks much better now!  Look forward to trying this out again on real hardware, hopefully with POKEY audio. :)

Are you going to be able to implement the enemies that come down from the top?

..Al

Does show up better definitely! The enemies are on the list, along with the hole opening and with the final ball movement/collision. The movement patterns are interesting...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Thanks for the latest ROM.  I played a couple of games on real hardware (via Mateos cart) and can confirm the following are working:

• The Break (B) capsule opens the warp gate, when playing in Paddle mode
    • I did not get around to testing with a one button joystick, but will do so later

Can't wait for the enemies too, as my ball got stuck on level 12.  Game is looking really good and playing well on actual hardware.:thumbsup:

LV12 Ball Stuck.MOV

Thanks @sramirez2008 - with the big changes around the cart format was hoping I hadn't stuff up something!

4 hours ago, FujiSkunk said:

2 hours ago, RevEng said:

:thumbsup:  Yeah, maybe the game can count the number of bounces the ball makes without touching the paddle, and past some threshold, start gently messing with the angle.

Thanks guys for the suggestions - will see what I can come up with!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mksmith said:

Thanks guys for the suggestions - will see what I can come up with!

What I used in my clone, to avoid a ball trapped in an "infinite" loop, was using a counter to track the number of times the ball hits unbreakable bricks.

If that number gets to 100, I change the current angle of the ball slightly, and reset the counter to 0.

Also, if the ball hits any other type of brick, the paddle or an enemy, the counter is also reset to 0.

Maybe some powerups could also reset the counter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NRV said:

What I used in my clone, to avoid a ball trapped in an "infinite" loop, was using a counter to track the number of times the ball hits unbreakable bricks.

If that number gets to 100, I change the current angle of the ball slightly, and reset the counter to 0.

Also, if the ball hits any other type of brick, the paddle or an enemy, the counter is also reset to 0.

Maybe some powerups could also reset the counter.

@NRV great ideas! Had a quick think about it today and really hadn't come up with anything as yet - sound like a plan ???

Victory!  I apologize for the quality of the video.  I was taking with my phone while playing the game. 

BTW, the game started slowing down in the later levels, whenever a capsule would appear on the screen.  Once the capsule left the screen, the game would resume to a normal speed.

High Score.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008

@sramirez2008 Haha well done! Great staying power! Adding the ball speed and flying objects will hopefully provide that extra challenge expected.  Update: Actually the score is very similar to a video play-though on YouTube of the arcade release - nice!

Ah interesting about the slow-down - will take a look ?

Edited by mksmith
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mksmith said:

@sramirez2008 Haha well done! Great staying power! Adding the ball speed and flying objects will hopefully provide that extra challenge expected

Thanks!  I’m going on vacation tomorrow, so I won’t be able to play until next week.  Can’t wait to see the flying objects.

• Like 1